Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 "I don't have my permit with me." 
 Post subject: "I don't have my permit with me."
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:00 pm 
Journeyman Member

I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't find it, even though I'm sure it's been asked before. If I have a permit, am I legal to carry without the permit on my person?

I understand that, if it is legal and I'm stopped, life will be much easier if I have it, but I walk a lot in the evenings, and it'd be nice to have one less thing to carry, especially in the summer. Winter, it doesn't matter so much, I guess.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

My permit sits right behind the DL in my wallet. I don't leave the house without my wallet. Problem solved.

That said, while you may be temporarily inconvenienced if caught carrying without your permit, you have committed no crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

The plastic thing that says you can carry? Its just that, a piece of plastic. I believe the leos can search by your name and if they can confirm that your you, i would think it would be fine. Although carrying your card could make your stop a lot faster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Your permit is an intangible. If it's been issued, you're good. Your permit card may make your life a lot easier, in a lot of cases.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here is the applicable portion of the carry law for you:

Subd. 1b.Display of permit; penalty.

(a) The holder of a permit to carry must have the permit card and a driver's license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) A citation issued for violating paragraph (a) must be dismissed if the person demonstrates, in court or in the office of the arresting officer, that the person was authorized to carry the pistol at the time of the alleged violation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:23 pm 

macphisto beat me to it.

The catch is that if you are unable to convince them that you're a permit holder, they can arrest you and charge you with a gross misdemeanor under Subd. 1a until you get the whole thing straightened out. Say, if their database is down or if you also lack ID.

Post subject: Re: "I don't have my permit with me."
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:32 pm 
The Man

Drizzle wrote:
I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't find it, even though I'm sure it's been asked before. If I have a permit, am I legal to carry without the permit on my person?

I understand that, if it is legal and I'm stopped, life will be much easier if I have it, but I walk a lot in the evenings, and it'd be nice to have one less thing to carry, especially in the summer. Winter, it doesn't matter so much, I guess.

thanks
I gotta ask -- and I know this is going to sound insulting, but . . . how much does a thin piece of plastic, the size and weight of a DL, slow you down?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Drizzle wrote:

thanks
I gotta ask -- and I know this is going to sound insulting, but . . . how much does a thin piece of plastic, the size and weight of a DL, slow you down?

For a high-speed, low-drag operator, every fraction of an ounce counts! Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Drizzle wrote:

thanks

Don't forget though He needs his DL with also to avoid the hassle. Thats 2 times the weight and space required than you suggest.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
My permit sits right behind the DL in my wallet. I don't leave the house without my wallet. Problem solved.

That's my system too. And I don't take my wallet out of my pants except when the pants go in the wash.

And I almost never leave the house with a gun and no pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

We need to lobby the state for a card like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you can't carry your permit, you shouldn't carry a gun.

No excuse not to carry your permit.

Last edited by JimC on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:44 pm 

macphisto wrote:

What "HE" just said! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't most men's clothes have pockets?
If you don't want to carry a whole wallet, a clear plastic ID holder or a Jimi "wallet" are nice ways to travel light while reducing your risk of a long(er) stop while an uninformed LEO figures out how to deal with the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

In defense of the original poster, I have accidentally left the apartment without my permit before. For those mistake situations in particular the point of information could be useful. He asked a simple question about a point of law. I didn't personally take it that he was implying he wanted to carry without his card. Just that he was wondering what happens if he does, perhaps by accident?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.