Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 "I don't have my permit with me." 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
I didn't personally take it that he was implying he wanted to carry without his card. Just that he was wondering what happens if he does, perhaps by accident?

No, this is what he said: :)

Quote:
....but I walk a lot in the evenings, and it'd be nice to have one less thing to carry, especially in the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

I, too, read that it was an inquiry about simply leaving the permit at home and carrying without it. That aside, why, of all the other things we carry, would you leave the permit and take the gun? If you are worried about weight, leave the flashlight, extra ammo, big wallet, or car/house keys. The permit weight is so not relevant as to not warrant it appearing anywhere on the list of "crap to leave at home".

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
AGoodDay wrote:
I didn't personally take it that he was implying he wanted to carry without his card. Just that he was wondering what happens if he does, perhaps by accident?

No, this is what he said: :)

Quote:
....but I walk a lot in the evenings, and it'd be nice to have one less thing to carry, especially in the summer.

Oh, well, aren't I unobservant today. Statement retracted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks guys, you answered my question with more, um, restraint, than I might have hoped for.

Joel, you taught my class at Gander in Woodbury back in summer 2005; I was in no way insulted by your reply, you taught us well.

Being 265lbs of low speed high drag operator, no one has ever intimated that saving a couple of ounces of weight would make any difference in my ninja-like evasion speed :wink:

I will carry the piece of plastic when I carry the piece of steel (well, aluminum, steel, plastic, etc, but you get the idea).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 pm 

would be nice if we could get it put on our license like an endorsement. At the SCCC national convention we were comparing Permits and I was odd man out, the only person there that had a permit that didnt have a picture on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:01 am 
Poet Laureate

Jai9100 wrote:
The plastic thing that says you can carry? Its just that, a piece of plastic. I believe the leos can search by your name and if they can confirm that your you, i would think it would be fine. Although carrying your card could make your stop a lot faster.

Well, for what it's worth, in my Edina encounter, the officer who contacted me in the mall, to whom I handed both my permit and my DL, did not even glance at the permit. In the process of handing them to him, he accepted the cards, placed the permit behind the license, and read my full name into his shoulder walkie. It was only my name and date of birth that he spoke into his radio (not even my license number). With only that information, and a request for validation, we then chatted until dispatch came back over the air that I was golden.

I could have given him anyone's permit, he didn't even seem to care that I had one, as long as my .gov issued photo card came back with positive permit info. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am 
Poet Laureate

I have often wondered what would have happened if I had applied for my permit with my passport. The law says that it is acceptable to use a passport, DL, or state ID card. I presume the sheriff then would write that passport document number on the permit.

Say, then, I carried my permit with my DL, being in compliance with the statute. There is nothing that says (to my knowlege) the you must carry the application document with your permit. Just that you need to carry one of the approved ID's with your permit.

So say I used my passport to get my permit. Then I carry said permit with my DL. In an encounter, an officer requests of me to present my permit and valid identification. I present permit and DL. Officer checks it against DL, and nothing comes up, since the document the permit is "connected to", is my passport.

What happens then? I'm legal, but still go to jail/citation, because the officer can't confirm? Would the DL still come back with me as being ok, (somehow?) having used a passport to apply?

Inquiring minds (well, my inquiring mind, anyway) want to know... I need some experts to enlighten me on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
I have often wondered what would have happened if I had applied for my permit with my passport. The law says that it is acceptable to use a passport, DL, or state ID card. I presume the sheriff then would write that passport document number on the permit.

Say, then, I carried my permit with my DL, being in compliance with the statute. There is nothing that says (to my knowlege) the you must carry the application document with your permit. Just that you need to carry one of the approved ID's with your permit.

So say I used my passport to get my permit. Then I carry said permit with my DL. In an encounter, an officer requests of me to present my permit and valid identification. I present permit and DL. Officer checks it against DL, and nothing comes up, since the document the permit is "connected to", is my passport.

What happens then? I'm legal, but still go to jail/citation, because the officer can't confirm? Would the DL still come back with me as being ok, (somehow?) having used a passport to apply?

Inquiring minds (well, my inquiring mind, anyway) want to know... I need some experts to enlighten me on this.

If I am understanding your question Carbide I don’t see why it would matter. The passport/DL/ID card is for identification only. I don’t believe there is any link between it and your permit. They have your DL number on the permit but you could have an old permit and a new license with a new number so even those won’t match.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

havegunjoe wrote:
Carbide Insert wrote:

If I am understanding your question Carbide I don’t see why it would matter. The passport/DL/ID card is for identification only. I don’t believe there is any link between it and your permit. They have your DL number on the permit but you could have an old permit and a new license with a new number so even those won’t match.

Correct. They use your name a DOB to check the permit database not your DL number.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:17 am 

atripp wrote:
would be nice if we could get it put on our license like an endorsement. At the SCCC national convention we were comparing Permits and I was odd man out, the only person there that had a permit that didnt have a picture on it

IMO it would in fact not be nice.

A large and increasing number of people insist upon seeing my driver's license.

My employers have, when filling out I-9 forms. Large company HR are generally strongly anti-gun and consider a "fascination with firearms" to be a marker for risky employees.

TSA and airline employees like to look at my driver's license.

The post office will not give me my mail without looking at my driver's license.

Waitresses, barmen, and doormen want to see my driver's license to confirm my age. I don't smoke, but if I did, I would imagine that convenience store clerks would want to see it, too.

Rarely, once every five years or so, an LEO wants to see it due to some misunderstanding that actually involves driving.

And in none of these cases do I consider a firearms endorsement to be the ideal conversation starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
atripp wrote:

IMO it would in fact not be nice.

+1 Arguably convenient, but not nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:32 am 
The Man

AGoodDay wrote:
In defense of the original poster, I have accidentally left the apartment without my permit before.
Me, too. I once got two miles away from the house before I realized that I'd left my wallet in another set of pants.

It was amazing how long that drive back was -- and I know the law about that stuff, and that it's really not a big deal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: copy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

The first thing I did when I got my permit was to scan it and make color copies of it. I kee a copy in the wifes car, my truck and with other documants at home. I figured it might help out a little to have these handy at times.

Post subject: Re: copy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:27 am 
The Man

EAGSMN wrote:
The first thing I did when I got my permit was to scan it and make color copies of it. I kee a copy in the wifes car, my truck and with other documants at home. I figured it might help out a little to have these handy at times.
Yup. Breakeven, or win.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:00 pm 

atripp wrote:
At the SCCC national convention we were comparing Permits and I was odd man out, the only person there that had a permit that didnt have a picture on it

You could always get one of these

http://www.nles.com/store/customer/prod ... =18&page=1

:D

The scary thing is that they're the top selling item in the category. Impress your friends, I guess.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.