Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Self Defense Insurance 
 Post subject: Self Defense Insurance
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a good friend who is a MN state patrol. We were talking about PTC (by the way he is all for it). He asked me if I have or am going to get insurance. He said that he took out a personal million dollar policy incase something unwanted happens and is taken to court. He said it would help him keep his house. Have any of you thought about getting something like this? I'm not sure what type he has but google comes up with 'Self Defense Insurance' or 'CCW Insurance.' It looks like something the NRA offers. Thoughts?

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 pm 

I purchased a policy through the NRA. It costs me approx. $250 a year.

It covers $250K personal liability and $250K in self-defense coverage with a $50K criminal defense reimbursement.

I pray I never need to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have an unbrella 1 mil policy through Am Fam Insurance. Cost is less than $250/year. Covers atty costs as well.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
I have an unbrella 1 mil policy through Am Fam Insurance. Cost is less than $250/year. Covers atty costs as well.

That sounds like the one my friend was talking about. I'm surprised my carry instructor didn't mention insurance. I would have never known. Would there be a reason (other than money) not to get it? Like maybe the prosecutor saying that you were preparing to take a life? (sorry, that sounds bad) But, then again, the same could be said about car insurance or fire insurance... so probably not.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:46 am 
Journeyman Member

Reasonable people don't buy car insurance so they can get into a fender-bender, they don't buy homeowner's insurance to burn their house down, and they don't buy life insurance so they can die. Sane/rational people buy this insurance hoping they never have to use it! There's nothing wrong with having an umbrella liability policy. It covers much more than just a self-defense situation.

Remember, insurance companies don't want to pay the claim if they don't have to. Ask the agent if a company lawyer would represent you if a civil liability case is brought against you after a car accident.

Not all companies offer umbrella policies. State Farm and AmFam are the only two I know of. I've heard from others that their companies don't.

Hope this didn't sound like a commercial. BTW, I don't work for either of these companies. IANAL either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

QuietNewGuy wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having an umbrella liability policy. It covers much more than just a self-defense situation.

I'm not at all sure it will cover a self-defense situation. Talk to your agent. Shooting someone is a deliberate act and that may exclude it from the policy.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:51 am 

princewally wrote:
QuietNewGuy wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having an umbrella liability policy. It covers much more than just a self-defense situation.

I'm not at all sure it will cover a self-defense situation. Talk to your agent. Shooting someone is a deliberate act and that may exclude it from the policy.

I have no first hand knowledge but have heard the same thing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:13 pm 

A little professional advice that is worth exactly what you are paying for it...

If you think your Umbrella Policy is going to provide coverage for a self defense shooting I would advise you read your policy and if you still think it does then talk to your agent and if you still think it does talk to your defense attorney.

Most liability policies, unless specifically written to cover something like a self defense shooting, will exclude intentional acts. Shooting someone in self defense is an intentional act and using the "I didn't know it was loaded or it went off accidently" as a defense is probably going to get some punitive damages added to the award and these ain't covered either!!!

DonT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:04 pm 

Even if you had "Self Defense" or (Umbrella, Personal Liability, etc) insurance, you will find they do not cover any criminal acts… yes, even though you may have done nothing wrong, you will be defending yourself against accusation of a crime – therefore not covered by insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 pm 

princewally wrote:

Bingo!

"We, as criminal defense lawyers, are forced to deal with some of the lowest people on earth, people who have no sense of right and wrong, people who will lie in court to get what they want, people who do not care who gets hurt in the process. It is our job – our sworn duty as criminal defense lawyers – to protect our clients from those people." -- Cynthia Rosenberry, a DePaul University law professor, criminal defense attorney and founding member of the Georgia Innocence Project

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I guess I will talk to my agent again, but the first time we specifically talked about a self-defense situation. My agent is a PTC holder as well. I will double check anyway.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:48 pm 

ask him to check with home office and if the answer is yes ask him to have the person he is talking too put it in writing. That will usually separate the chaff from the wheat! :D

DonT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Your homeowner's insurance will probably NOT cover the cost of defending you if you shoot someone, in Minnesota at least, no matter how justified you may be in doing so.

You will have some expense establishing that you were justified, that's a criminal defense=not covered.

Then the perp may sue you for money and his medical expense. That's INTENTIONAL conduct on your part, and not covered by your homeowner's insurance, which covers only your NEGLIGENT CONDUCT.
Intentional canduct=not covered.

Most insurance agents don't know this; at least I've never encountered an insurance agent that did. (Half of them give the wrong information, the others say you'd have to ask the company, and then the comapny won't give you a straight answer.)

But every insurance company defense attorney I've ever met does know this. :x

There is an odd exception. The Plaintiff's lawyer actually gets to decide if your insurance covers. He can allege that you carelessly shot his client because you were, well, careless with your gun. That way, if you're broke and have no money, he can get at your insurance policy.

Most Plaintiff's lawyers don't do that, because your insurance company will have a good lawyer and will fight the case and probably beat him. If he sues it as an intentional case, you'll probably be willing to offer him money to just go away, because it will be so expensive for you to pay for your own lawyer. Or, you will give up, and he can simply take a default judgement against you.

There are really very few of these cases, so 99% of insurance agents never encounter this situtation. I've never met a Minnesota insurance agent who could explain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:52 am 

Ok so is the NRA insurance any better?

Others states have Self Defense type funds does Mn have similar and if not why not?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:15 am 

Just as an idea.
If only 1% of the 55,000 permit holders opted in yearly to be eligible to use the fund.
55,000 X 1% = 550 X $20(yearly dues)= $11,000 not alot but it would be a start.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.