Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Rape 
 Post subject: Re: Rape
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

340PD wrote:
I find this interesting that there is any debate on this issue. The reason I say that is that when I took my carry class we were told specifically that we could use lethal force to stop/prevent a rape. However, this came up as a result of a discussion about being able to protect others as well as your self from GBH or death. The instructor gave us the common sense (in my opinion) warning about being very careful who we choose to protect in that manor. He suggested only family and VERY close personal friends. One of the reasons for that was the following hypothetical situation he described. He said to imagine you are walking downtown late at night and you pass an alley and you see a man raping a woman in the alley. You tell the man to stop and get away from the woman, he refuses. You end up shooting him to protect the woman from further abuse and harm. The man falls down dead. The woman, so traumatized by the rape and the fact that someone has just walked up and shot someone dead, immediately runs off and can't be located. You are standing there in an alley with a dead man that you just shot, blood all over the place and the cops show up. Now what? You try to explain your story but the woman you say was being raped is now gone.

The other reason or example was of a woman (again, hypothetically) being beaten up or abused by a man. You fear she is in danger of GBH or death from being beaten up. You tell the man to stop and get away from the woman and he refuses. You shoot and end up killing the man to prevent any further harm to the woman. However, after shooting the man the woman suddenly is in support of the man and screaming at you for shooting her husband/boyfriend, etc. Suddenly the person you thought you were trying to help is singing a very different tune to the police about how there was really nothing going on and you shoot her husband/boyfriend, etc. for no reason.

Very valid examples, but telling someone specifically that lethal force can be used to stop rape is a technically incorrect teaching.

Rape is not GBH under the law. The surrounding circumstances are what would likely contain the criteria for the use of deadly force.

We may have already heard from a lawyer in this thread...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Dee wrote:
I don't see why not.

Because you still have to meet the criteria for the use of deadly force.

In reality, I think you'll find the acts committed together. But if we want to split legal hairs, I believe we may have very separate issues.

-Mark

Ok I was thinking about it from the perspective that the person being raped is someone I know or a member of my family. To commit a rape on the victim, the rapist would have to rip off the victim's clothes. Once the perpetrator has laid their hands on the victim, I have a reason to believe that the victim is under the threat of great bodily harm or death. I have no way of knowing the rapists ultimate intention. It's not like he's going to tell me or the victim. In that case I think I would be justified to use any means to stop him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

There was a case somewhere else where the husband comes home and a guy is on top of his wife in the car outside. She cried "Rape", he shot the guy, then later we find out that they were having an affair. He wasn't charged, she was charged with murder.

IANALAIDWTBO.

911 calls for someone other than family, bullets fly if it is family.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
mrokern wrote:
Dee wrote:
I don't see why not.

Because you still have to meet the criteria for the use of deadly force.

In reality, I think you'll find the acts committed together. But if we want to split legal hairs, I believe we may have very separate issues.

-Mark

Ok I was thinking about it from the perspective that the person being raped is someone I know or a member of my family. To commit a rape on the victim, the rapist would have to rip off the victim's clothes. Once the perpetrator has laid their hands on the victim, I have a reason to believe that the victim is under the threat of great bodily harm or death. I have no way of knowing the rapists ultimate intention. It's not like he's going to tell me or the victim. In that case I think I would be justified to use any means to stop him.

Not denying that there is almost always enough violence involved to justify defense. But if asked in court why you fired, I'll bet your lawyer won't tell you to answer "because she was about to be raped."

Just saying the legal definitions don't always match up with reality.

Picking nits. :wink:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 pm 

JohnK87 wrote:
There was a case somewhere else where the husband comes home and a guy is on top of his wife in the car outside. She cried "Rape", he shot the guy, then later we find out that they were having an affair. He wasn't charged, she was charged with murder.

IANALAIDWTBO.

911 calls for someone other than family, bullets fly if it is family.

Yeah, I don't think it would be a good idea to use or threaten to use lethal force to stop what appears to be a rape occurring to a stranger or someone you don't know well. Obviously, if you don't understand the situation exactly, there is the very real possibility that what you see is not rape and there could be a number of different unknown factors that change the situation radically.
As several other people on this forum and elsewhere have stated, it's a better idea whip out your cell phone and call 911 than to start blasting a perceived rapist in this kind of situation.
However, if the woman is known well and there is no chance the man in question is a boyfriend, husband, or new friend from the local pub and it is known with certainty that the she is being assaulted or about to be assaulted, it seems more than reasonable that a male companion would draw his gun and let the assailant know that it's time to beat it.
Then if the bad guy (or guys) does not discontinue the violent behavior or if he turns on the male companion, it may be time (God forbid) to use lethal force. This makes sense morally, but legally, I don't know for sure. I'd love to know if there are any further legal guidlines that would help to prepare better mentally for possible scenarios in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm 

A question I find much more interesting is whether a woman could defend herself lawfully using lethal force if there was no threat of GBH without relying on castle doctrine. Many if not most rapes are in this category. A typical example would involve a person known to the victim, a disparity in size and strength, and no effective escape route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
A question I find much more interesting is whether a woman could defend herself lawfully using lethal force if there was no threat of GBH without relying on castle doctrine. Many if not most rapes are in this category. A typical example would involve a person known to the victim, a disparity in size and strength, and no effective escape route.

Disparity of force could justify the reasonable fear of GBH or death...that would be my guess as to how it would play out.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:28 pm 

That may get you means and opportunity but not intent.

I would agree that in practice it would be extremely unlikely for such a case to be prosecuted, let alone for it to result in a conviction. Nonetheless, I think it's interesting that there appears to be no provision in the statute.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:09 pm 

Quote:
Minn. Stat. § 609.02, subd. 8 (2004), defines "great bodily harm" as "bodily injury which creates a high probability of death, or which causes serious permanent disfigurement, or which causes a permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ or other serious bodily harm."

I'm hoping that harming my brain and thoughts would count as an impairment. Having been raped 24 years ago, I can most definatly tell you that for many years my brain and thoughts were negatively impaired, and I have never gotten over the fear! So, if I would have been armed, his outcome would not have been positive. The fear he caused me just by jumping me as I stepped out of my car in front of my house would IMHO be justifiable. You put a blood pressure cuff on me at this very moment, and I'll prove it to you.

How anyone could possibly think that a rape or sexual assult could not cause GBH is just looking through rose-colored glasses!

ndtish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

ndtish wrote:
Quote:
Minn. Stat. § 609.02, subd. 8 (2004), defines "great bodily harm" as "bodily injury which creates a high probability of death, or which causes serious permanent disfigurement, or which causes a permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ or other serious bodily harm."
Quote:

I'm hoping that harming my brain and thoughts would count as an impairment. Having been raped 24 years ago, I can most definatly tell you that for many years my brain and thoughts were negatively impaired, and I have never gotten over the fear! So, if I would have been armed, his outcome would not have been positive. The fear he caused me just by jumping me as I stepped out of my car in front of my house would IMHO be justifiable. You put a blood pressure cuff on me at this very moment, and I'll prove it to you.

How anyone could possibly think that a rape or sexual assult could not cause GBH is just looking through rose-colored glasses!

ndtish

I'm with you, I'm just not sure the law is. I'd love to see someone introduce legislation firmly defining rape as a GBH intent, I'd show up at the capitol for it!

The only good news is that there's enough other violence or reasonable fear thereof normally involved in a rape that it becomes a non-issue from a self-defense point of view.

IANAL, but I think you'd have a hard time finding a jury that would convict a woman fighting off a rapist.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:18 pm 
In the time out chair

NDtish's experience not withstanding, and I am completely in agreement that rape is GBH, despite what some might nitpick over the reading of the laws, the laws have also stated that with the risk of HepC and HIV, rape in and of itself can be considered attempted murder. There is a huge difference between case law and precedent, and statute.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Blued Steel wrote:
NDtish's experience not withstanding, and I am completely in agreement that rape is GBH, despite what some might nitpick over the reading of the laws, the laws have also stated that with the risk of HepC and HIV, rape in and of itself can be considered attempted murder. There is a huge difference between case law and precedent, and statute.

Caselaw, please. Seriously. I've heard of cases where a person with said disease(s) was charged, but not one with a perp who did not have the diseases. I'm interested, because that would be important precedent to know.

Please don't misunderstand me. If someone is trying to rape you, DEFEND YOURSELF. Absolutely.

There are two tracks here. One is the reality of it, the other is the academic side. Both have validity.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:32 pm 

mrokern wrote:
IANAL, but I think you'd have a hard time finding a jury that would convict a woman fighting off a rapist.

Depends. Not all victims are as pure as the driven snow. If a jury sees the rape as the culmination of a series of poor lifestyle choices, they may approach the matter differently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:36 pm 

ndtish wrote:
Quote:
ndtish

I too am with you on this in principle. There is extensive literature in psychology documenting what you say.

On the other hand the vast majority of cases of criminal sexual conduct that are charged in MN are not 1st degree because, under the law, a threat of GBH did not exist or at least could not be proven. The applicable statutes are quoted upthread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:05 pm 

Completely copied but of interest:

The term "great bodily harm" forms the basis of many statutory definitions regarding the implied use of deadly or lethal force. Regrettably, statutes remain obscure as to what actual types of injuries constitute a judgement that great bodily harm has occurred. A search of case law shows that most determinations of great bodily harm are decided on a case-by-case basis, left up to a judge or jury to evaluate and declare.

Some examples of great bodily harm cited by the court include:

1. scarring 2. permanent disfigurement 3. broken bones 4. Extended hospital stays (in one case "extended" was meant to mean overnight.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.