Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Employers. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 pm 

If I try to press right to carry at work it will be a losing battle, I assure you. It is a battle I will not win, and I will PO a lot of people in positions of authority. I can't go into details except to say that events at work have proven that senior mgt will not be swayed and there is no room for anyone who does not toe the line precisely. I can seek employment elsewhere but after 25 years there, I won't do that.

My car is 20' from the door and is visible from many windows in the building. I am not worried about the security of my car. The location is off the beaten track so it is unlikely anyone would commute w/o a car.

I felt very nervous just trying to get a clarification of the policy. They don't like questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
As a practical matter however I have always been in condition green in any sort of secure facility where I have been working. I tend to work for places that do pre-hire background checks, and I trust the people I work with when it comes to personal safety. For others, it may be different.

Sure.

Of course, people in secure facilities sometimes flip their lids, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
c) A disgruntled employee on a shooting spree has an access card. The "policy" won't keep him from mass murder, but it will keep his potential victims from having an adequate means of defense.

A disgruntled <I>ex</i>-employee on a shooting spree who shoots someone in the parking lot and takes their card (as happened in a Postal Facility a few years back) also has an access card.

One way I have brought it up with employers is to tell them about my lawyer friend whose firm had a corporate client that was successfully sued after a slashing/stabbing spree, because although they had a policy against knives, it was generally accepted that this did not apply to pocket knives, and that's what the perp used.

Her firm now suggests that the weapon policy say something like "XYZ company bans all unlawful weapons as defined by the relevant jurisdiction." Thus if there is an incident they can either say "They used a prohibited weapon" or "If the legislature did not feel it was necessary to outlaw those weapons why should we?"

Of course the delightful thing about this phrasing is that permit holders aren't kept from carrying, because it is not an illegal weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:58 pm 
Journeyman Member

I luckily work for a small company, and the owner is a gun owner. Although he isn't a permit holder, half of the employees are, and carry (concealed) at work with no problems. We work in a pretty rough part of St. Paul, and have a wide open shop front in the summer. I am very glad that I don't have to fight about the carry at work issue with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
As a practical matter however I have always been in condition green

What is this condition green? It's not part of the <a href="=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel)#Combat_Mindset_-_The_Cooper_Color_Code">The Cooper Color Code</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:29 pm 

We are a division of a company with 271,000 employees. We have policies and procedures that would make The Borg look like the paragon of disorganization. Carrying at work is simply NOT an option and I have no intention of pressing it. In fact, believe it or not, I would rather not do so even if I could. I support the right of CC but I don't see the need in *my* workplace.

Yes it is possible that someone could get in and shoot up the place. I can take that chance unarmed or seek employment elsewhere. I choose the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Mostlylawabidingcitizen's employer will take down the signs shortly after flying pigs are spotted. :roll:

The only advice from outside the enterprise that any business has received is from antis or their attorneys (follow that link at your own risk if you are particularly susceptible to heart attack, stroke or other diseases exacerbated by stress).

Some credible contrary advice, from a smart employment lawyer who is not already know as a pro-gun activist might have some value.

How did I get dragged into this? 8) Andrew, note it's "MostlyHarmless" not "Mostlylawabidingcitizen"

But considering my employer posts at the front gate to the campus and likely employes more lawyers then some of the biggest firms - I'm thinking they are fairly confident, that they can win a private property posting suit... unforturnately :x

Mostlylawabidingcitizen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Ooops. I'm MostlyMistaken. My MostSincere apologies. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:58 pm 

a911scanner wrote:
DeanC wrote:
Human Resources people are a different species. They are a massive drag on society and business. I am convinced they are a heretofore unidentified species of vampire.

I think they are of the same genus as Social Worker.

All species of this genus family are well known for knowing what's better for you or your family than you.

MM

+1 Had to jump in-- Can we add politicians to the list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

The nail that sticks out gets hammered on. And if your bosses are anti gun, it could effect future raises, promotions etc. Abide by their rules and enjoy your job before somebody else does

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:41 pm 

kpaul wrote:
a911scanner wrote:
DeanC wrote:
Human Resources people are a different species. They are a massive drag on society and business. I am convinced they are a heretofore unidentified species of vampire.

I think they are of the same genus as Social Worker.

All species of this genus family are well known for knowing what's better for you or your family than you.

MM

+1 Had to jump in-- Can we add politicians to the list?

Sad to say it...You are exactly correct kpaul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
The only advice from outside the enterprise that any business has received is from antis or their attorneys (follow that link at your own risk if you are particularly susceptible to heart attack, stroke or other diseases exacerbated by stress).

OMG!
Richard A. Ross wrote:
One possibility is to not employ anyone with a permit to carry a firearm. Employers could screen out "permit-holders" during the hiring process and could also canvass their current employees. Assuming, all current employees are at-will, they could be given the choice of continued employment or surrendering their permit.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:55 am 

A good friend of mine is a courier for one of the big shipping companies. . We were just talking about this a few weeks back.
They not only have a strict no guns in the workplace policy but they view pepper sprays and other non lethal forms of self defense in the same manner. You are also forbidden from carrying a pocket knife with a blade in excess of 4".
The nature of his job puts him in all sorts of situations in which he feels nervous being entirely unarmed. Dark hallways in apartment buildings in bad neighborhoods, approaching peoples homes at night in nasty parts of town and he has had more than his share of dog bites and near maulings. As he says it's amazing how many people think it's funny to let their dogs out when they see the delivery guy coming.

My advice to him was to write a letter to his local hr represenative stating that although he does not agree with the policy and that he feels totally vulnerable to becoming a victim of a crime given the situations he is put in by the company he intends to abide by the policy.
I told him to cite examples of situations he has been in and encounters with dogs that led to bites etc. where at least pepper spray would have kept him from suffering a bite.
This way I told him if something bad happens he is on record with the company in regards to his view of the policy based on personal experience. This may give him solid ground for a civil suit in the future should something happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:23 am 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote
Quote:
...The only advice from outside the enterprise that any business has received is from antis or their attorneys (follow that link at your own risk if you are particularly susceptible to heart attack, stroke or other diseases exacerbated by stress)...

Following the link, Richard A. Ross wrote:
Quote:
...Individuals with a permit to carry a "firearm" now are permitted to carry a weapon to work or while engaged in work, unless the employer restricts that right...

Note: You don't need a permit to carry at work.

Richard A. Ross wrote:
Quote:
One possibility is to not employ anyone with a permit to carry a firearm. Employers could screen out "permit-holders" during the hiring process and could also canvass their current employees. Assuming, all current employees are at-will, they could be given the choice of continued employment or surrendering their permit.

Permit, what permit? How do you screen permit holders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:22 am 

The employer has the right to ban firearms in the workplace and I accept that.

Not hiring permit holders unless they surrender their permits, thus becoming non permit holders is probably illegal. It is certainly unnecessary. Just ban firearms in the workplace. I really do not object to that. They ban alcohol, drugs; there is a dress code...

FWIW I shave my head and am heavily tattooed as well. As long as they don't ban tattooed skinheads I am OK. They cannot force me to let my hair grow (which wouldn't do much to change my skinhead look) but they COULD require that I cover the tats. Tattooed people, just like permit holders, are not a protected class.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.