Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
...And since the 500 foot rule only applies when hunting and there is no law against shooting within a certain foot zone...

I have lived in a couple of cities with the 500 foot rule.

Lakeville Code: Section 5-2-1-2 wrote:
G. By any person for target practice provided that the projectiles are stopped by a suitable backstop and provided further that the shooting occurs at least five hundred feet (500') from all buildings unless owned by him or with the owner's written permission carried on his person.

I was speaking of the DNR regs specifically - In general, one needs to review their local ordinances regarding shooting. Since the officer didn't appare to have mentioned the existance of a local ordinance, I assumed there were none applicable - maybe bad assumption on my part.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm 

Portsari,

I guess this is in the small world category, but I was deer hunting about 1,000 yards west of you on the next property. You were behind the church on county 121 Saturday night right? Anyway, a couple of comments:

1).The 1000 foot rule is a city ordinance. Its not on their website, the only way I found out was a call to city hall last summer. That shouldn't matter if you had permission from the landowner.
2). A permit holder is perfectly legal to possess a loaded handgun during deer season, but since you were right next to the park reserve, I suppose the DNR could say you were attempting to take wild game. As an example, the DNR says permit holders may not shine deer with a loaded gun in the car.
3).You need a better backstop. I could hear multiple ricochets and it was making me kind of nervous...
4).You were shooting 100's of rounds until 45 minutes after sunset. It was bound to attract attention. Fortunately, Dayton isn't Maple Grove yet, but suburbanites are moving in. I have lived there for 20 years and love that it is still pretty rural. 4 or 5 rounds doesn't make anybody bat an eye. As a favor, please don't speed up the time some ladies storm into the city counsel meeting and demand that Dayton bans firearms discharge.
5).As a caution on Dayton police: The officers are pretty cool, but the police chief came from Minneapolis. When my son turned 18 a few years ago, he wanted to buy an AR15 so he applied for a purchase permit. The chief called my son and told him he didn't think he was old enough to get one. My son and I had to meet with the mayor with all the state regs printed out to show him the chief had no authority to make that decision. My son finally got his purchase permit, but our chief thinks he can make up his own laws....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.