Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Recommend training for a friend in Andover 
 Post subject: Recommend training for a friend in Andover
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Hi guys,

A cross-posted, two-part question:

1. A friend of mine who lives in Andover is interested in beginner-to-carry classes for himself, and perhaps his wife. Joel, I'm aware of yours and will be recommending it, based on having taken your permit class. But I'd be interested to know what might be more in his neighborhood.

1(a) He was considering the classes offered at Bill's North and asked me my opinion. I could only say that I hadn't heard anything lately that would rule them out. So any opinions about Bill's training would be welcome.

2. We're going shooting tomorrow (Sunday). Does one of the Bill's locations have a better selection of rental guns than the other lately?

Thanks in advance for your input, any and all self-promotion, praise, slander & libel via posts here, emails or PM would be welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 am 

No help on instructors. Although reading either of the two books available would be a good start before takeing any class. IMHO
If you go to www.billsgs.com there is a link 0n the left that takes you to a list of the firearms for rent at each individual store.

You can also try this link it may take you straight there.

http://www.billsgs.com/modules.php?name ... age&pid=11

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:57 am 
The Man

If your friend is willing to travel this far, I'd recommend the BPR Basic Pistol class. As a broad-spectrum intro, it's better than mine. (I have no modesty about B2C, but it's not intended to be a general intro, and I think, for those who have the time, a general intro is better than a focused one.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:43 am 

I think Bills south has a better rental selection but I prefer Bill's north.

Its been a while since I've gone shooting - is there something in particular he wants to try? I could meet you at the range - he is welcome to try anything I have though I'm not sure I have practice ammo on hand for all of them.

FWIW - I did a private basic handgun course at Bill's south and it was great. It might be a crapshoot depending on who you get, but the guy who did mine was excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm 

Bills South feels like it would have more selection, but they seem to be about the same. As suggested above, look at their pages, the list is pretty accurate. (Sometimes one might be down for service, or an odd caliber is out-of-stock; if you're looking for a certain one, call ahead)

I'd go for whichever one is closer. (Slightly off-topic: Bills South is expanding the retail front; "upper floor," going to roughly double that space - learned this my last trip in)

Haven't taken their training, but there's a few people there that I'd have no problems with. Theresa (sp?) who usually works at the North location I know does teach some classes, and IIRC she even does some woman-only ones (So they feel a little more comfortable) she seems to know her stuff, along with a few of the other employees that I've known for the last year and a half.

Also, North has some food just up the road, but South has quite the local variety - something to consider if you're going for an extended period, and several within walking distance. I usually hit whichever one is more on the route for any other plans I have, they both work for me :-D

Also, for those that regularly shoot at Bill's: I recommend pre-buying range passes. Walk-in is $20 for the first person, $10 for each extra. Pre-buy 10 @ $15/ea, 20 $12.50/ea. For a couple, use one token and pay the $10 cash for the second person, save $7.50. Could also have one person buy them, and sell a couple to a friend for cost, if you don't think you'll use 20 of 'em. (I bought the 20 pack last spring, I'm down to 3 or 4)

Just a happy customer. (They sold me my XD-9, and equipped me for it, and have a pretty nice indoor range.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks, everybody! We'll be at Bill's North at around 1PM tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seriously, for a once-every-five-year thing, why not pick the best class, even if it adds thirty minutes each way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:54 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Seriously, for a once-every-five-year thing, why not pick the best class, even if it adds thirty minutes each way?

Quite the glowing endorsement from a competing instructor (even if they are friends).

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

I meant driving to MY class. ;)

Nah, I have nothing bad and lots of good to say about Joel and his classes.

Granted, though I'm much younger, have lots more hair, and I'm way better looking, none of those things make me a better instructor. :P

I know more good instructors than bad ones, and just a few great ones. Joel is one of those.

a911scanner wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Quite the glowing endorsement from a competing instructor (even if they are friends).

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
The logic of that is unassailable -- if I knew what the best class was. :) Seriously, my friend's a smart guy, he gets that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Oh, that's easy. I have the bestest class ever. Joel is a close second. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Since we're offering shameless endorsements:

I took my class from Joel when money was tight and he was expensive. It was a great value for my dollar.

That Andrew guy's opinionated but knows his stuff.

I'd send anyone to Teresa Reiter(sp?) at Bill's

Michael Martin (training@mntactics.com) offers a course like what you're looking for. It's not regularly scheduled but I've sent people to him before and heard good things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Actually, I've met with quite a few instructors/forum member and wouldn't have a problem recomending danged near all of them to friends. 8)

How's that for a glowing endorsement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:51 am 

I'll add a little glow for phorvick. Top quality class and a real bargain too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm 

hypertech wrote:
I'll add a little glow for phorvick. Top quality class and a real bargain too.

If you're going to the WEfest. :lol:

MM

PS Thx for the Bill's cards Paul

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.