Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ramsey County heads up 
 Post subject: Ramsey County heads up
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:00 pm 

I've had my permit for about a year through Ramsey County. In May, I renewed my Drivers License, which included a change in the license number due to a statewide change in formats.

I received a letter last week from the Ramsey County Sheriffs office stating that in the course of doing an annual background check, they had noticed my DL number change which required me to get a new Permit card. The letter had both my old DL number and my new one.

I called the number on the letter, and asked if it could be handled via mail as downtown St Paul is a little out of my way during the day. They said that it had to be in person.

I went down Thursday, the whole transaction took about 5 minutes. The receptionist took a copy of my new license, then produced a new permit card from the card printer attached to her desktop PC.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this, and how other counties are handling it.

Post subject: Re: Ramsey County heads up
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:35 pm 
The Man

cryptical wrote:
I've had my permit for about a year through Ramsey County. In May, I renewed my Drivers License, which included a change in the license number due to a statewide change in formats.

I received a letter last week from the Ramsey County Sheriffs office stating that in the course of doing an annual background check, they had noticed my DL number change which required me to get a new Permit card. The letter had both my old DL number and my new one.

I called the number on the letter, and asked if it could be handled via mail as downtown St Paul is a little out of my way during the day. They said that it had to be in person.

I went down Thursday, the whole transaction took about 5 minutes. The receptionist took a copy of my new license, then produced a new permit card from the card printer attached to her desktop PC.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this, and how other counties are handling it.
There's no requirement in the law, and the state does keep old DL numbers. As long as they ask nicely, and it's convenient to comply, I'd be willing to. Up to you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like it went pretty smoothly, when i started reading your post I was afraid you were going to say you have to go though the whole process of classes and applying for a new permit. :o

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

While I don't like the attitude that we *have* to go through this, I think it's a good service to offer. If you're stopped in another state (or by an overzealous cop in this one) where the MN permit is valid, and your permit and DL don't match up, there could be some hassle, even if you kept your old DL to clarify things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

One more reason that rolling DL numbers is a STUPIDidea! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:24 pm 

So, if your county doesn't complain, should you ask? Or would it be better to let sleeping dogs lie? We both have new DLs this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like another way to cause you to come in and see them.

From the DL reg they have pics of your old ID and new ID and don't see why you need to present yourself to give them a copy. I would just send them a copy of front and back of the new DL and have them send me my new card! Thanks for the heads up on Ramsey for me! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Ramsey Cty DL/Permit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:58 pm 
Delicate Flower

Maybe I view things a little different because a lot of my students are from Ramsey County. I won't mind going down and renewing my permit when I get a new DL #. Reason.... gives me some face time with the deputy, so if there are any future questions regarding my training hopefully they put the name and face together. (assuming I made a good impression initially).

Sometimes they aren't problems, but rather, opportunities

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ramsey Cty DL/Permit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:04 pm 
The Man

ttousi wrote:
Maybe I view things a little different because a lot of my students are from Ramsey County. I won't mind going down and renewing my permit when I get a new DL #. Reason.... gives me some face time with the deputy, so if there are any future questions regarding my training hopefully they put the name and face together. (assuming I made a good impression initially).

Sometimes they aren't problems, but rather, opportunities
Perfectly reasonable, Tom. My objection isn't to talking to deputies -- particularly Ryan O'Neal at Ramsey, who has a particularly good reputation -- but to extra-legal requirements, rather than requests, by sheriffs. I think it's probably a good idea to have one's permit have one's current D/L number, but I think the sheriffs really do have to remember that they can't add on extra-legal requirements.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

I assume that Ramsey county is not making the permit holders pay for the new card?

(Hey -- I wonder whether this will further enhance their goldbricking cost "overrruns"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:13 pm 
On time out

a +1 about Deputy Ryan O'neal. I had gotten my permit and they had misspelled my middle name and I so called and he said he would make a note in the system and that I should come down to the new station and get a new card. He was very friendly and speedy and got me in and out in just a few minutes. He told me that he had noted in the system that they had misspelled my name in case something had come up between my noticing it and then getting there to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:52 pm 
First-time poster

I have had my ramsey co permit since the first law change and also renewed DL in april and have not recieved any notice to update my permit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:01 am 

Well, duh. I just read the FAQ at
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Doc ... carry.html

and it says:

29. Does the address on my permit to carry need to match the address on my driver’s license?

No. However, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may obtain an updated permit at a cost of $10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:18 am 

What if the Sheriff's office misprinted my house number, instead replacing it with my area code? I haven't moved, but my DL and permit don't match now. I was hassled by the Sheriff's lackeys in Carver County because my AACFI Instructor certification was over a year old when I applied. They finally relented and "after a long discussion with the Sheriff about the matter" she issued me a permit well after 30 days was past, so I wonder if it was intentional because they were sour.

Anyway, I'm going to give them a chance to correct it by mail first...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:41 am 

When I moved over a year and a half ago, my local sheriff had to look up the regs on permit holders moving (he hadn't had one yet). Didn't have any issues and didn't get charged either. I suspect I might have more issues if I had to do it again, current county didn't used to issue permits under the old law.

FYI, my previous county of residence was Freeborn, aka area around Albert Lea.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.