Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 My Sociology Project: I want your opinions 

If you choose to not reply to this thread, why not?
Poll ended at Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:01 am
Questions irrelevent  8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Too personal  33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Not enough time  33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Other  25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

My Sociology Project: I want your opinions 
 Post subject: My Sociology Project: I want your opinions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:01 am 

My name is Tyler. I am a 20 year old student doing sociological research concerning those who conceal and carry within Minnesota. The research assessment will be completed Friday AM, and I will gladly post a link to what I have interpreted as the results (In academic format). Aside from the information gathered by shadowing this forum, I have created a brief questionnaire which I hope will be completed by at least more than a few people who frequent this forum.
Please reply within the thread or via PM. I appreciate your time, and thank the administrators/moderators for allowing this thread.

Name or Alias:

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis?

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)?

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments?

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience)

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so?

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota?

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this?

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it)

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler

Post subject: Re: My Sociology Project: I want your opinions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Soc2323 wrote:
The research assessment will be completed Friday AM

Tyler you really might want to give people a bit more time when asking for information.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:17 am 

Soc2323 wrote:
My name is Tyler. I am a 20 year old student doing sociological research concerning those who conceal and carry within Minnesota. The research assessment will be completed Friday AM, and I will gladly post a link to what I have interpreted as the results (In academic format). Aside from the information gathered by shadowing this forum, I have created a brief questionnaire which I hope will be completed by at least more than a few people who frequent this forum.
Please reply within the thread or via PM. I appreciate your time, and thank the administrators/moderators for allowing this thread.

Name or Alias:

More often than not, yes.
Quote:
How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)?

I held a permit in another state for ten years and have obtained a Minnesota one fairly recently.
Quote:

Quote:
I always obey the law.

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain.

Broad question. There are places like Wisconsin and Illinois where the state laws are not reasonable. If you're asking about Minnesota, we have one of the better laws, overall, though there are problems in specific areas like reciprocity.
Quote:
Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience)

Like most people who carry I carry for my own safety and for the safety of people important to me. Convenience??? Carrying a gun all the time is one of the most inconvenient and bothersome things I do.
Quote:

I believe that the general public reads the Star Tribune. The Star Tribune editorial staff are adamantly opposed to carry, and this is visible in their news articles as well as their editorial pages. As a result, the general public is fed a steady diet of misinformation, and does not realize that a) yes, carrying does improve personal safety considerably, b) no, we're not a bunch of kooks, c) yes, what we're doing has the side effect of reducing crime overall, d) while the adverse effects of carrying do exist on a social level, they are far outweighed by the safety improvements, both individual and collective.
Quote:

Well, we're 2% of the population.
Quote:

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this?

There are varying levels of support among sheriffs and other elected officials. The law preempts local regulation by design, so no, the law doesn't accommodate local issues.
Quote:
If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it)

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler

It is a common misconception in Minnesota that concealment is either required or that a permit is required only for concealed carry. Neither is true, so you may wish to adjust your terminology: both open carry and concealed carry require the same permit, and while the vast majority of permit holders carry concealed, there are exceptions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Soc2323 wrote:

Name or Alias:

Call me Dman if you use a name.

Yes

June 2003

Yes The signs are not an issue for me, but they are a source of misunderstanding for most people. The reason for signs is purely political. I wish there were "No Drugs" signs instead. :wink:

The provisions of the state carry laws are based on the perceptions of people who do not carry. It's silly to require a new class for a renewal permit. We don't do a new driver's training course and retest every four years, for example.

All of these reasons. It's like a seat belt, my insurance, fire extinguishers, cell phone, etc.

No.

Nobody even knows I carry.

Yes. In rural areas people are used to guns, but guns are seen as more of a recreational thing. In urban areas people are often scared of guns, because they are not used to guns, (because they would have no place to shoot recreationally) and most urban folks sort of hope guns won't happen. Urban folks are much more fatalistic about a violent encounter, I think.

You should ask about why the people who have carry permits so seldom commit crimes, and when they do, why it's almost never a gun crime. I think we commit fewer felony crimes than police officers for example. And in Minnesota we are about 35 times LESS likely to gut a DUI. (Some other forum members are more versed on the statistics than I am But I think I'm generally correct.)

My answer, base purely on conjecture, is that the gun itself does not commit the crime, and people who pay attention to the details of life (like getting a carry permit) seldom are convicted of crimes.

Permitees are the safest bunch of folks I know of.

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Almost 1 year.

Quote:

No, I have carried past "no guns signs" but I have never been asked to leave (and I would if asked.) I avoid places that post. (To clarify: it is not illegal to carry past a sign, but since you said "rules" I am assuming you mean the rules of the establishment.)

Quote:

Too prohibitive. I feel that MN should not have any permit system in place, and people should be free to exercise their God given, Constitutionally protected rights without written permission from our Government. The cost and hassle of taking a class and applying for a permit is a hardship which in the least is an inconvience, and at the most a dangerous delay in a person's ability to effectly provide for their self-defense.

Quote:

Family protection. I want to be around to provide for my wife and family.

Quote:

No. I think that many individuals can understand, after a brief explination, however I think that many people only hear the side against people who carry (and guns in general) and that without taking the time to understand the issue the general public has a negative view.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

I do not know. Minnesota carry law does a good job of allowing for people who may want to openly carry to do so.

Quote:

Q) Are you a male or a female?
A) A male.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 am 

Name or Alias: zimme71

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? Almost always.

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? December 2007

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? If the establishment is legally posted, then yes.

I concur with regards to having to take a class to renew. As mentioned previously, do we have to take a class before renewing our driver’s licenses? Seems simply a way for the state to make us jump through a few more hoops IMHO.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience).
Same as listed by others. Carrying is first of all my right as a citizen. But personal protection for myself and my family is paramount.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? Not at all.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? Well….this is Minnesota. It’s not like we’re in Texas.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? I don’t necessarily think so, but I haven’t met other permit holders from northern Minnesota.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it).

I personally feel that as a permit holder, I adhere to the laws of our state even more than before. I don’t want to be ‘the guy’ who gives all other permit holders a bad name because of MY stupidity. So if I’m carrying and go out, I don’t drink (I’m a great designated driver). I obey traffic laws, don’t tailgate or speed. I’m very conscious of my surroundings and my actions. And I believe a lot of others here would agree.

Last edited by zimme71 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Why don't you ask the demographics of the person answering the questions? Age range, income range, gender, type of profession. Wouldn't this all be useful information in your research? I look forward to reading the information in your project.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:19 am 

Name or Alias: Mitchx3

Yes.

July 5, 2007

I attempt to spend my money elsewhere, otherwise I ignore, educate, or mock posters.

Too prohibitive. Only legitimate system is Alaska/Vermont system. Current liscensing requirements are similar to poll taxes of the south.

Rights unused go away. Minneapolis has a crime problem.

No. I would say that those who are aware of carry permits understand. Those who are unaware of the existence of carry permits(large majority) don't understand.

Yes.

Yes. Mpls/St.P people/cops are a lot less comfortable with carry. Probably due to only being around guns when thuggery is involved. Laws? No

-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Name or Alias:

Binky .357

Quote:

Yep. Rain, snow, dark or light.

Quote:

Five years and counting...

Quote:

If I see a legally posted compliant sign, I follow the laws regarding permit holders. No so sure what "rules" means.

Quote:

I think it's a good start, although some might argue that the right to carry is a fundamental right and shouldn't be "granted" when a person gets their permit.

There are far too many laws restricting law abiding citizens behaviors, and not enough control over criminals behavior including actual punishments (ie mandatory life sentences for certain crimes; execution and smelting of rapists, murderers, and child molesters, etc... )

Quote:

All of the above, except covenience.

Quote:

Outstate, yes. Among some of the PSH crowd, they'll never learn.

Quote:

Nah. I just think that most people who would like to get a permit don't have the luxury of spending the money to get one right now.

Quote:

Typically, the hard core liberals (I said typically, there are excpetions to that) you run into in the cites are of the PSH crowd, mentioned above. There are factions of them that believe you shouldn't be using any kind of force to defend yourself whatsoever... that it's better to be a good little victim than a survivor.

As for the laws in Minnesota, I think the authors that penned the MPPA were just a little shy of genious. The laws are uniform throughout the state, they allow for open or concealed carry to mitigate inadvertantly printing ("ghosting" of a firearm or its frame through the fabric of your clothing) and setting off a PSH type who would then run and call 911 in tears, just so they could "show them that they don't like guns".

[/RANT]

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:22 am 
The Man

Soc2323 wrote:

Name or Alias:
"The Man" :)
Quote:

Sure.
Quote:
More than a dozen years.
Quote:
I always comply with every bit of the law involving those; I'm not sure quite what to make of "abide to" and "rules" here. That help?
Quote:
Which state's laws? I don't think Alaska's or Vermont's are too restrictive; I do think Minnesota's are; that said, I think we have one of the best carry laws in the country, with features that quite literally no other state's laws have. I'd like to see us get rid of the victim disarmament zones, give the eighteen-year-olds back their rights, and add double or treble damages for bogus denials, and then go to the Alaska "no carry permit needed, but you can have one if you apply" system.
Quote:
Not convenience, although it's not terribly inconvenient.
Quote:

I doubt it; I'm certain that there are many members of the general public who choose not to.
Quote:

Yes, because I can do simple math. Fifty-six thousand and change is much less than half of four million and change.
Quote:

No. Nor should they; civil rights should not vary, depending on whether you're in Minneapolis or Appleton.
Quote:

I dunno. I guess it depends on what you're trying to find out.
Quote:

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler
No problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am 

Soc2323 wrote:

Name or Alias: MM

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? Yes

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? 12/05

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? Yes, in so much as they are compliant with the law. I tend to avoid these establishments as much as possible. Keep in mind that if you truly know the law, then it is very easy to abide by the "rules".

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. 1) I like the background checks, as it gives me a good point of reference for those that question my rights. 2) I do not like the sheriff's departments making a profit from the application process. 3) I do not like the posted zones, as no criminal will ever pay attention to such a sign, and aren't they the real problem, after all?

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) Personal protection, family protection, and because it is my right as a citizen of The United States.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? I would say it has been my experience that most of the people I run into do not understand.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? Unfortunately, yes would be my answer.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? 1) Somewhat of a difference. 2) I don't think it's the laws, but rather the political climate of the different regions of the state.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it) I would like everyone who helps me with this to stop by for a cold one at..... :D

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am 
Journeyman Member

Soc2323 wrote:
Name or Alias: diamondsj

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? yes

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? June 2007

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? depends on your definition of rules, but I abide by the law

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. Too prohibitive. As some here have stated, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms, the Government should have no standing to regulate my right to do just that.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience). Personal and family protection.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? No.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? As "the Man" said, the numbers speak for themselves.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? Yes I do, rural vs. urban. Although there shouldn't be differences, there are. The laws reflect the hard work of those who fight so hard to preserve our 2nd Amendment rights.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it). I agree with the other suggestions on here for asking about gender, general location.....

Thank You for your time. Your welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Soc2323 wrote:
Name or Alias: jdege

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? yes

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? June/2003

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments?I do not carry in premises where I have been informed, either personally or by a statutorily-compliant sign, that the proprietors do not want carry. Non-statutorily-compliant signs I consider on a case-by-case basis. (There are some owners who intentionally post non-compliant signs so their anti-gun patrons will think that they're banning carry, without actually doing so.)

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain.Too prohibitive. None of the restrictions on carry by the law-abiding have any positive effect.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience)I believe that the more law-abiding people carrying, the safer the society.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so?No.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota?Everyone's a minority, one way or another.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry?Yes. Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this?No. Nor should they.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it) Where and when, anywhere in history, have restrictions on ownership or carry resulted in a decrease in crime? Answer: never.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:04 pm 
Poet Laureate

I do not.

August '06

I have to assume this means "Do you walk away when carrying a pistol and see a sign demanding the prohibition of our right to bear arms, inviting the sleaze of society to prey on the helpless." That answer is no; if I wish to patronize the establishment for a particular reason, I will conceal and go about my business. If I can, I will avoid spending my money there.
If we are talking about the actual wording of your question: "always abiding to rules concerning "posted" establishments", then yes, under the law I always follow the rules. The real rules are: one can walk right past even a properly posted establishment, but must leave when asked to do so. <-- Don't tell that one to the liberal-higher-education-establishment, and to the students that have been siezed with it's false doctrines therewith. It's the carry community's little secret. 8)

Yes #1: I am one of the rare ones left that believes in the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. To me the phrase "shall not be infringed" is quite self explanatory. Vermont is the only state in the Union (Alaska is a close second) that has it right at the moment, as far as permits and carry restrictions go.
Yes #2: The fees involved are far too high. When all is said and done, between fees for mandatory classes and sheriffs departments, you are in the hole at least $200 every five years, just for the little plastic card. In my opinion that is unreasonable, and prohibitive for many, especially those who do not carry on a regular basis. You tell me how much it should cost to excersize any of your rights: $3? $20? $100? $200? $500? $4000? What would be a reasonable price for a church attendance permit, do you think? Or a permit that guarantees you a jury trial? :roll:

I carry to excersize my right. To remind myself and others around me that America is a free nation, one of the handful on this globe where a man may still carry his arms. It educates others about what our freedoms are, and reminds me again how blessed I am to live in this nation, under this Constitution. It also reminds me of the liberties our fathers, forefathers, and founding fathers gave their lives for, for the which I am entirely indebted to them. For me, it is Veteran's Day each time I carry, and I will never forget. Nor will I apologize for choosing to carry, Openly or Concealed, and if someone takes issue with that, that problem belongs to them.

To some degree, yes. For the vast majority of metrosexuals and school system indoctrinated sheeple, no. At times I wonder if the minds of the general public are even capable of understanding anything other than "Guns=Bad". That is, of course, until something happens to them personally which breaks the utopian paradigm of security that has surrounded them all of their lives.

Absolutely.

I can't speak to that with any degree of knowlege. You hear it said that people living outside of metro areas are more understanding of our right to bear arms than those living within such boundaries. Out here in Hutchinson you do see the occasional posted vistim disarmament zone, but I've only ever had one encounter in Hutch, and it was neutral at that. It was when a lady mentioned my pistol to me, thinking that she was just reminding me it was accidentally visible. (I was wearing an untucked button up shirt, and was open carrying.) Contrast that with my experience in Edina, when I open carried to the mall, and had three positive encounters in the course of about 30 minutes. Of course, someone did perceive my carrying with fear, I imagine, though they did not come up to chat with me. Rather they requested Edina officers to come and do that for them. So I guess your mileage varies. I think the law we have, as uniform as it is across the state, is the only way to go. What a patchwork and headache it would be otherwise! :shock:

When are you getting your permit?

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler[/quote]

My pleasure. Good luck with your project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Name or Alias: Macx

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? Yes. I am always armed.

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? I arrived in MN on the 17th of Sept 2005, with my PA permit which did not have reciprocity with MN. See question 5 for more on this.

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? I always abide by the letter of the law. I can and do carry past signs on occasion, generally preferring to do business with non-posted businesses. I have been asked to leave a non-posted business because I had a pistol in my holster & left as quickly as practical (I had a baby in a stroller too).

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. “Too prohibitive. None of the restrictions on carry by the law-abiding have any positive effect.” Sums it nicely. A permit system for the exercise of a God given Constitutional right is anti-American by its very nature. This is a Constitutional right we are discussing. Imagine if you had to get a permit to exercise free speech, go through a back ground check and pay a fee. Permit required to worship as a Mormon, Catholic, or Jew? What if you needed to have a permit to be secure in your person, papers, and personal effects against unwarranted search? This is the only right for which a permit is required & fees paid to the state, and that should be cause for some concern. It should raise red flags among lovers of freedom; it is a moral and logical inconsistency. It is a right. Permits are for privileges, like driving. Furthermore, when I moved from a state without reciprocity, I had to establish my residency here, take a class (which had to be scheduled, which is of course a delay) and then apply for and wait for my permit. During that delay, which amounts to unnecessary administrative delay, I was denied a basic human right . . . which I had been exercising lawfully in another state of this country.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) Carry is a fundamental human right. I exercise my right for the lawful defense of myself and because of my moral obligation to defend my family. I choose to carry for the same reason I have fire protection equipment in the home. I don’t want the home to catch on fire, but no amount of just not wanting it to happen can prevent a fire, thus smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are an obligation. Not having them amounts to a form of negligence born out of wishful thinking. I love my family too much to be negligent.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? I don’t think much of the general public. When I hear the term, I think of Jay Leno’s “Jay Walking” bit or other bits of media where an interviewer speaks to “the general public” and they make blathering idiots of themselves. It is a dice roll, some of the general public is probably informed, some uninformed, some misinformed, and some are willfully ignorant.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? I am an Irish American, if the pubs and “Irish stores” in the Cities are any indication; we are a fairly well represented minority.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Yes. In the city there is more racism and elitism, which are the heart of the anti-gun carry folk. Gun control laws were started to protect KKK members from their victims. Saturday night special laws, permit and class fees, all aimed at driving the price of self defense up, perpetuating this classism and racism by keeping guns out of the hands of those populations most often victimized.

Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? The state laws apply statewide, which is a credit to the authors of that law.

What state(s) has/have the most appropriate carry laws? Vermont & Alaska

What state(s) has/have the least appropriate gun laws? IL & CA

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.