Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 My Sociology Project: I want your opinions 

If you choose to not reply to this thread, why not?
Poll ended at Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:01 am
Questions irrelevent  8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Too personal  33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Not enough time  33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Other  25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

My Sociology Project: I want your opinions 
 Post subject: Re: My Sociology Project: I want your opinions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:14 pm 

Name or Alias: pastor paul

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? yes

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? 3 tears

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? no, tho i try to

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. seem to be reasonable and capable

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) yes; personal protection; all my children and my wife also carry

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? no

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? yes, at least in metro area

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? yes; cf. ramsey co. refusal rate; henn. co. judges and courthouse court injunctions

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it) do you think there should be a national "shall issue" law and uniform requirements and nation wide reciprocity? YES

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm AGoodDay

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? When and where I am allowed to carry, for the most part yes. I sometimes don't, but usually do.

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)?

A bit over three years now.

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments?

I follow the law. I don't always follow the signs.

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain.

We have a very good carry law in Minnesota. I think they are maybe on the too prohibitive side. I like Vermont style regulation. But if we have to have a permit process, I'd say this is the right process to have overall.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience)
Personal safety, preparedness. Just having the option if I need it, overall.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so?

Well, I am the general public, so yes and no. Some do, some don't. There seems to be a fair amount of opinion that those who carry are afraid or paranoid or something, or that they think it's cool or makes them feel big and powerful, or that they want to get into a shootout. Many are willing to understand it, though. I think, in general, a greater number of people that I've encountered are inquisitive and curious about it than those who have their mind made up that I'm in one of the other above categories. That might be because I am at a college (places that foster inquisitiveness and curiosity) and tend to enjoy hanging out more with people who are intelligent, curious and inquisitive, though.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota?

Depends on how you define a "minority." In terms of population, yes. Otherwise, depends. People just don't tend to know that I carry unless they know me. On the other hand, those who know me tend to know I carry.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this?

Yes. Minneapolis, corn country and St Cloud have very different attitudes overall. No, the laws are not discriminatory based upon geography... a very good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Soc2323 wrote:
Name or Alias:
White Horseradish

Soc2323 wrote:
Do you carry on a day-to-day basis?
Yes

Soc2323 wrote:
How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)?
Four years

Soc2323 wrote:
Legal rules, yes. Wishes of the owner that have no legal force - most of the time.

Soc2323 wrote:
Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain.
The laws are too restrictive. Getting or renewing a permit in Minneapolis is a $200 proposition at minimum, and that is too much. The requirement to retake the class for renewal is also unreasonable. Also, the prohibition of carry in buildings that double as courthouses is ridiculous, but that is not really law.

Soc2323 wrote:
Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience)
Personal and family protection.

Soc2323 wrote:
No.

Soc2323 wrote:
Yes.

Soc2323 wrote:
Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this?
Yes, there are differences. The law is fine in this regard.

Soc2323 wrote:
If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it)
Can't think of any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Name or Alias: HavegunJoe

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? - Yes, 24/7 as the saying goes. Not when sleeping or showering but my gun is close by even then.

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? – I had a MN permit for about a year prior to the passage of the law preceding our current law. That would be 2002 if I am calculating this correctly.

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? – Yes, if the establishment is posting in a properly legal manner. For example if they post on only one entrance then I ignore their sign. If I am asked to leave by a representative of the company I do so without argument but I also usually leave one of those “No gun – No money” cards.

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. – Too prohibitive. I believe in the Vermont/Alaska method. If you can legally own a gun you should be legally able to carry for self-defense.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) - Personal protection and because for so long those in authority told me I couldn’t for no particular reason what-so-ever. It’s my right and I exercise it.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? – No! For the most part the general public is ignorant of their rights and views us as kooks.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? – Yes. There are approximately 55,000 permit holders and 5 million people in MN. That would put us at slightly over 1%.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? - Yes, the 7 county metro is definitely anti-carry and reflected this in our struggle to get the current law passed. Out state was always more receptive to carrying a gun for self-defense. The law is not suppose to represent a particular region but the entire state and I think it does.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it) – Perhaps some information on demographics of the people answering your questions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Name or Alias:
Mostlylawabidingcitizen

yes

since the MPPA was passed the first time 2003?

I have never been asked to leave and refused so... yeah - I'm 'abiding

as in all 'permitted' rights the process if much too prohibitive - should not be required to pay to exercise a 'right'

as noted by another - same reason I wear a seat belt, have smoke detectors and fire extingushers - better to have and not need then need and not have

in general - no

I'm a minority in more then this (says the middle aged white guy

differnce in attitudes geographically - yes
difference in the law - no

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it)

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler

No problem!
Mostly-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Soc2323 wrote:
Name or Alias:
Pat Cannon

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
3 years, since 9/6/2005.

Quote:
Yes. But as I understand it, this means: should I be seen to be carrying in any business establishemnt, AND asked to leave, I would leave. Note that this is true regardless of whether the business has posted any sort of sign.

Quote:
Too prohibitive. Only Vermont and Alaska handle this correctly, i.e., no permit is required. The fees and training requirements are analogous, in my opinion, to the voter tests and poll taxes of the Jim Crow era, which are nowadays considered unconstututional infringements on a citizen's civil rights.

Having said that -- training is good. Basic gun safety should be part of evry school's curriculum. The NRA, or somebody, should offer liability and personal injury insurance with premiums that vary inversely with the gun owner's level of training.

Quote:
All of the above. Mainly the first two. Having a permit is a minor convenience for legally transporting weapons, but actually carrying a handgun is a distinct inconvenience.

Quote:
Some do, many don't. I think public understanding has gotten noticeably better in Minnesota since the passage of the MPPA and the failure of society to collapse into anarchy as a result. But there's still a long way to go.

Quote:
As a permit holder, of course I'm a member of an approximate one percent minority.

If you mean like "I be carryin', they be hatin'", no I don't really feel like a member of a persecuted subculture. I'm aware that there are people who denigrate the character and question the mental health of anyone who chooses to be able to defend themself, but they've never been in my face personally.

If this is a demographic question, no, I'm just another white guy. :)

Quote:
The whole point of the preemption feature of the MPPA is to ensure that local authorities don't get to make those kind of decisions, any more than they can decide which color of people get to vote. If the dominant culture of say, Minneapolis, is less sympathetic to the idea of armed self-defense than a more rural area (and it is), then that's just tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Name or Alias:

kecker

For the most part.

Almost a year

I abide the law. I try to respect "rules" but when rules run counter to my safety or common sense, they get flushed.

Minnesota is "okay". I'm a little perturbed that I need "permission" to exercise my rights or provide for my own self defense. What I find more prohibitive is the general attitude towards carrying in general.

Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Not a chance. Our side has never been heard.

I feel that I am.....because I am. It's that whole math thing.

Regarding the latter question, local laws do not trump state laws.

As far as attitudes go, I don't generally advertise that I'm carrying. I just want to be left alone to go about my business. So I don't know the attitude of different parts of the state.

Not especially

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Name or Alias:

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? Yes

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? 5 Years

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? No
Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. Yes, they are too prohibative with regard to cost, infringement of the Constitution, and the control of citizens.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) Self and family protection.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? No

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? Yes

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? I do not know.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it) Perhaps it would be beneficial to inquire on another forum of those who do not carry, or even like guns, as to why they do not carry or like guns.[/b]

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 pm 

Name or Alias: client#9

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? March '08

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? I generally ignore the signs, but would follow the law if asked to leave (it hasn't happened yet). But I never carry when going to places that do searches or wand (Vikings, concerts, etc).

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. Too prohibitive.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) Self defense.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? No

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? Yes

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Absolutely

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:39 am 

Soc2323 wrote:
My name is Tyler. I am a 20 year old student doing sociological research concerning those who conceal and carry within Minnesota. The research assessment will be completed Friday AM, and I will gladly post a link to what I have interpreted as the results (In academic format). Aside from the information gathered by shadowing this forum, I have created a brief questionnaire which I hope will be completed by at least more than a few people who frequent this forum.
Please reply within the thread or via PM. I appreciate your time, and thank the administrators/moderators for allowing this thread.
or
Name or Alias: Aviator

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? 25 years

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? The state rules, yes.

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. As far as laws are concerned, it is a pretty good state law and not too onerous.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) I've looked down the wrong end of a gun barrel and so now I carry for personal protection.

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? Not really

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? In the broad sense, no. As a permittee, yes.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? Yes, outstate people don't feel having guns handy is unusual. The metro folks do. The state law does not address this.

If there is one thing I should have asked in this questionnaire but did not, what would that question be (also, feel free to answer it) Any true survey requires demographics.

Thank You for your time.
-Tyler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Name or Alias:
Plb
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
2 years
Quote:
I follow the law. I consider posted buildings to be advertising they do not want my money so I don't spend it there if i can help it. Criminals, alas, have no scruples. There's a reason why there are very few armed robberies of NG Armories or Police stations :-)
Quote:
Of the Carry permit laws, Ours was well crafted. We have the legislators and their advisors to thank, including prominent people in the carry community. Vermont style permits would be better from a Constitutional standpoint. Alaska style (no permit required but will issue one for reciprocity with other states) would work.
Quote:
Personal and Family protection. Had a friend who really needed something for protection once and didn't have it. Fortune and luck prevented him from being hurt. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Quote:
No. Schools and society have chosen to vilify the object rather than placing responsibility on the individuals (criminals) and making the tough societal changes necessary to target the REAL problem (The criminals)
Quote:
Demographically, no. Numerically, Yes. Philosophically, Yes.
Quote:
Out State: more personal responsibility and opportunities for hunting and gun handling. More of a generational culture if you will. In the cities, less exposure to legal, safe recreational shooting and more exposure to crime and a criminal culture including "no snitches"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Okay, Tyler, people have spent time to help you. Where are the promised results?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:03 am 
Poet Laureate

Yeah: What Andrew said!
:?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 pm 

Soc2323 wrote:
My name is Tyler. I am a 20 year old student doing sociological research concerning those who conceal and carry within Minnesota. The research assessment will be completed Friday AM, and I will gladly post a link to what I have interpreted as the results (In academic format). Aside from the information gathered by shadowing this forum, I have created a brief questionnaire which I hope will be completed by at least more than a few people who frequent this forum.
Please reply within the thread or via PM. I appreciate your time, and thank the administrators/moderators for allowing this thread.

Name or Alias: mnosretep

Do you carry on a day-to-day basis? yes

How long have you had a permit to carry within Minnesota (including if your permit was eligible for reciprocity with other states had you not been living in Minnesota at the time)? Approximately 1 year

Do you always abide to rules concerning "posted" establishments? I am law abiding

Do you feel state laws concerning the ability to conceal and/or carry and whatever the process may entail is/are too prohibitive or not prohibitive enough. Feel free to explain. Too prohibitive. Why am I expected to pay a government official to exercise a constitutionally protected right? I also should not be expected to surrender my right to protect myself and my family when crossing state lines.

Is there any particular reason you personally choose to carry (i.e. personal protection, family protection, convenience) Personal and family protection

Do you feel the general public understands why those who carry choose to do so? No. The general public is indoctrinated to be biased against personal firearms due in large part to (1) the intentional under-reporting of violent crime by our media and (2) the intentional suppression of criminal behavior prevented or brought to an end by private civilians by the media and (3) the clear and unarguable anti-firearm positions of both the national and local media.

Do you feel that you are a minority in society within Minnesota? Yes, if you are referring to my being a permit holder. No, if you are referring to the number of individuals who know they have a right to defend themselves against acts of violence.

Are there particular differences among the attitudes within the different geographical regions of Minnesota concerning those who carry? Do you feel laws concerning carry in Minnesota reflect this? The media would have you believe so.

Typical poll questions: Age. Gender. Income range. Occupation type. Education level.

Thank You for your time. You are welcome.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dude did say he was going to "close the polls" on Friday, he didn't say when he was going to post his results. That said, I am curious.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.