Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Stearns County metal detectors 
 Post subject: Stearns County metal detectors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

Story link

Metal detectors create trove
Courthouse’s system helps authorities arrest those with warrants

By David Unze • dunze@stcloudtimes.com • December 20, 2008

The installation of metal detectors inside the entrances to the Stearns County court buildings has kept numerous knives and other potential weapons from getting into courtrooms.
Advertisement

And while that was somewhat predictable, another consequence of establishing checkpoints for courthouse visitors to meet deputies has been a pleasant surprise to Sheriff John Sanner.

Nearly twice a day, the uniformed and armed deputies who staff the metal detectors make the most efficient arrests imaginable. While deputies daily track people with outstanding warrants by dropping by their residences and workplaces or contacting friends and family members of the wanted, some criminals make it much easier. In the first 10 months of the year, deputies arrested 268 people who have outstanding warrants as they come into court to deal with other charges.

“These are people we don’t need to spend time and money looking for,” Sanner said. “These are people walking right through our front door. It’s not only good public safety, it’s good business practice to know who’s walking through your front door.”

On a recent day, more than 1,300 people had outstanding warrants in Stearns County. Deputies check that list against the list of defendants expected in court, and when that person shows up for a scheduled court hearing they are arrested.

The county is averaging about 27 warrant arrests a month at the metal detectors in the Stearns County Courthouse and Courts Facility building. Almost 100,000 people will pass through those metal detectors this year, according to county statistics.

Those county numbers also show that deputies confiscated 367 items at the metal detector in the first 10 months of the year and arrested two people a month for probable cause that they committed an offense at the detector.

Sanner recently showed off some of the things his deputies have taken from people on their way into court. Most are pocket knives that many simply forgot to leave in their vehicle.

And then there’s the 12-inch Bowie knife that someone had hanging from a strap around their shoulder. For what purpose would someone use such a knife?
Quote:
I could think of lots of them

“That’s a good question,” Sanner said. “You don’t use it to peel apples, I guarantee you.”
Quote:
You could if you wanted to...

And the marijuana pipes that are confiscated?

“A lot of it is some of the stuff where you’re just saying ‘What were you thinking?’ when they bring their one-hitter full of marijuana with them as they appear for court. You know, we’re not catching the smartest people here,” Sanner said.

What about the set of brass knuckles, sheriff?

“The amazing part of that is they’ve simply forgotten that on their person when they walk into court. I don’t think a lot of them intentionally bring them in. I think they carry it so routinely, they forget that it’s there,” he said.

A pocket knife is understandable, he said.

“But brass knuckles? Does somebody routinely put brass knuckles in their pocket every time they get up and get ready for the day?” he said. “Who does that? What kind of person does that?”

Paul Gene McKay, 27, essentially identified himself as such a person, said Shan Wang, assistant Stearns County attorney.

Back in March, McKay was heading to court and the metal detector alerted as he passed through. He pulled out a can of Mace and handed it to a deputy, then went back through the detector. It alerted again.

McKay told a deputy that he was wearing steel-toed boots. A deputy examined the tops of the boots and then let McKay pass. About five minutes later, McKay walked past the same deputy on his way out of the courthouse and offered some advice.

You should learn to check people better, he told the

deputy.

McKay “then showed the deputy a knife with a 4-inch blade that was hidden inside his right shoe,” according to a complaint charging McKay with possessing a dangerous weapon in a courthouse, a felony. McKay was convicted and is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 8.

“For somebody that’s arrested a lot of people over the years,” Sanner said, “nothing surprises me anymore.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 pm 
Journeyman Member

Oops, I forgot to ask my question...

I am surprised that they keep all the stuff, why wouldn't they just let you go put your pocket knife in your car or something? Anyway, so it got me thinking. What would happen if you had a permit and also had sent notification? I know that because Stearns County has a court order banning carry, that you would likely be in contempt. (No I am not offering to be a test case). But lets say you were like the guy with the brass knuckles and you were in a hurry and forgot to disarm in your car. Would they keep your weapon forever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:40 pm 

Quote:
You should learn to check people better, he told the

deputy.

McKay “then showed the deputy a knife with a 4-inch blade that was hidden inside his right shoe,” according to a complaint charging McKay with possessing a dangerous weapon in a courthouse, a felony. McKay was convicted and is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 8.

What a moron.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow. Knives aren't dangerous weapons until they're used as a weapon. At least that's what our county attorney says (and case law backs up)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:24 pm 

montana_redneck wrote:

I am surprised that they keep all the stuff, why wouldn't they just let you go put your pocket knife in your car or something? Anyway, so it got me thinking. What would happen if you had a permit and also had sent notification? I know that because Stearns County has a court order banning carry, that you would likely be in contempt. (No I am not offering to be a test case). But lets say you were like the guy with the brass knuckles and you were in a hurry and forgot to disarm in your car. Would they keep your weapon forever?

Don't know. If I realized I'd left something in a pocket though, and it wasn't illegal, I'd go "whoops, forgot to take that out and leave it in the car...mind if I go put it there?"

Say, a pocket knife, or similar "legal" object.

This line concerned me: "...two people a month for probable cause that they committed an offense at the detector."

So by bringing the item to the check point, malice or not, is an intent to break the law? Crud, I've always double-checked pockets etc when heading into such a building.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:41 pm 

montana_redneck wrote:

I am surprised that they keep all the stuff, why wouldn't they just let you go put your pocket knife in your car or something?

In most cases it depends on the screener's perception of intent. If you walk through with a leatherman, they'll probably let you keep it or maybe make you put it in the car. If it's obviously a combat knife, perhaps not, especially if they don't like the way you look. I'm not saying that this is either a) lawful or b) a valid form of risk assessment, but it's what I've encountered.

Quote:
Anyway, so it got me thinking. What would happen if you had a permit and also had sent notification? I know that because Stearns County has a court order banning carry, that you would likely be in contempt. (No I am not offering to be a test case).

The general rule when lawfully carrying past any checkpoint where your armed presence is lawful is that you make it very clear that you're a permit holder and that you're armed and you do not go through the metal detector. You wait for instructions to walk around it.

Quote:
But lets say you were like the guy with the brass knuckles and you were in a hurry and forgot to disarm in your car. Would they keep your weapon forever?

Unless he's got the tax stamp for an AOW, they'll probably confiscate them and destroy them.

Post subject: Re: Stearns County metal detectors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
In the first 10 months of the year, deputies arrested 268 people who have outstanding warrants as they come into court to deal with other charges...

Sanner said. “These are people walking right through our front door. It’s not only good public safety, it’s good business practice to know who’s walking through your front door.”

The county is averaging about 27 warrant arrests a month at the metal detectors in the Stearns County Courthouse and Courts Facility building. Almost 100,000 people will pass through those metal detectors this year, according to county statistics.

why weren't they catching these people before the metal detectors were in place. this article makes it sound like they now know who is walking through their doors... well... if the criminals were coming in to pay a parking ticket I'm pretty sure they know who they are regardless of the metal detectors. :roll:

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:26 am 
Longtime Regular

The metal detectors provide a choke point, and a couple of offficers standing where a bad guy thinks it isn't about them . .. . you pass the person through the metal detector and you know (?) they aren't going to try and shoot or stab you and they are now on the ugly side of a narrow opening with a line of people between them and freedom.

It is basically as ideal an arrest spot as you could ask for, any more ideal and you''d never get a warrant subject to bite. From the other angle, yeah it is lazy police work . . . but they aren't interested in stopping actual bad guys. The only bad guys that pay traffic fines are ones that have a genuine desire to be citizens, even if they are a little screwwed up in the head or whatever. Messing with them when they are trying to put things right, is just asking for them to give up on being citizens. Keep the desperate mistake maker and the drunken spouse slapper in the system & let the gang banger and the sociopath have a pass. The system has some really big issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:47 pm 

Hennepin County made me go back to my car when I was wearing a seatbelt cutter (think rescue tool) around my neck. This Benchmade tool has room only for a seat belt to slide into the cutting slot. You can't even get a finger in there! But back to the parking ramp two blocks away I had to go! I obviously forgot I had it on, but I'd like to think I'd remember it if I ever needed it :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:19 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
In most cases it depends on the screener's perception of intent. If you walk through with a leatherman, they'll probably let you keep it or maybe make you put it in the car. If it's obviously a combat knife, perhaps not, especially if they don't like the way you look. ........

Don't let the anti-profilers hear you say that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 am 

You are correct they don't need a choke point. What they need is someone smart enough to compare outstanding warrants to defendents scheduled for court on a daily basis then dispatch an office or notify the baliff in each courtroom as to how many arrests they can expect to be making that day.

This can be done doing a comparative search on the computer where the program compares names for both court cases and warrants. Far cheaper than a metal detector.

I am not saying the metal detectors are not warranted but they shouldn't have caused a large jump in apprehended bad guys, not with todays automation. Problem is they have the tools but not the knowhow in many cases.

DonT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 am 

I'd like to know is how many of these "outstanding warrants" are for folks with unpaid parking tickets and moving violations. Those people can be deadly if you let them into a court room with Gerber tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:45 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Quote:
But lets say you were like the guy with the brass knuckles and you were in a hurry and forgot to disarm in your car. Would they keep your weapon forever?

Unless he's got the tax stamp for an AOW, they'll probably confiscate them and destroy them.

Knucks fall under the same rules as switchblades. You can't carry them, they are "collectibles or antiques".

Quote:
609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.
Subdivision 1.Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):

(1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to endanger the safety of another; or

(2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another; or

(3) manufactures or sells for any unlawful purpose any weapon known as a slungshot or sand club; or

(4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening automatically; or

(5) possesses any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used unlawfully as a weapon against another; or

(6) outside of a municipality and without the parent's or guardian's consent, furnishes a child under 14 years of age, or as a parent or guardian permits the child to handle or use, outside of the parent's or guardian's presence, a firearm or airgun of any kind, or any ammunition or explosive.

Quote:
Subd. 2.Exceptions.

Nothing in this section prohibits the possession of the articles mentioned by museums or collectors of art or for other lawful purposes of public exhibition.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.