Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mourning Miranda 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
I am amazed at the number of people who will talk to me during a criminal investigation.

In the jail, Mirandized, included.

My advice to my own children is this: If you are involved with the police and are NOT being brought home, call me and shut up.

Perfect! That's what I say too. But most kids don't have a good person to call. Most parents believe the lies their kids tell them, then they advise the kids to tell the truth. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

In the words of the great philosopher Ron White, who coined the phrase " You can't fix stupid" comes the phrase " I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 pm 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
tman065 wrote:
I am amazed at the number of people who will talk to me during a criminal investigation.

My advice to my own children is this: If you are involved with the police and are NOT being brought home, call me and shut up.

Perfect! That's what I say too. But most kids don't have a good person to call. Most parents believe the lies their kids tell them, then they advise the kids to tell the truth. :roll:
Yup. Which is why both parents and kids need to learn that innocence -- claimed or real -- isn't a reason not to lawyer up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:11 am 

by telling your kids to shut up and call me...you're not telling/teaching them to lie...just to wait for the right time to tell the truth or "their side of the story" cops are there to solve the case...not be on your side for anything...my wife and I have had the conversation a million times...do not talk to them...if they had what they needed, they wouldn't need a statement from you...that's how I look at things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:12 pm 

The Miranda "right" was made up from whole cloth in 1966. No one who believes in the text of the constitution should morn its passing. If you can read the constitution you know that you can't be "compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself...." As I read it, that could mean you have the right to remain silent. That's your right, at most the state should teach it to you in 5th grade civics; it doesn't say the cops have to remind you that you should shut up and ask for a lawyer when you find yourself in a bind.

The Supreme Court could have killed Miranda a few years ago, I forget the case name, but I believe Justice Rehnquist voted with the liberals to keep it alive. One theory goes that he/they didn't want to be part of a decision to "take away Miranda" since everyone "knows" they have the right to listen to the cops read the warning before they confess. Of course this mistaken belief comes from watching too much bad TV. :roll: It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone familiar with criminal law that the Miranda warning is a joke. People like to talk, the rare exception is probably the experienced criminal who has previously been taught to shut up by a good public defender or private lawyer.

Drift: If I had children the last thing I would want to teach them is to trust the police or any other agent of the state. Sure, you respect authority as part of civilized society and dial 911 when appropriate, but there is little good that can come from children interacting with cops or God forbid social services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup. Cops should always be regarded like any dog you don't know. Maybe they'll be nice and wag their tails, maybe they'll rip you to shreds. . . . They have teeth and any interaction can go either way and it can change all of a sudden right in the middle. So you don't run from them, because that provokes them to attack . . . but you also don't walk up to them and talking all friendly like they don't have rabies and a bad case of blood lust. You treat them with caution, interact as little as possible and move on as quick as you can without looking like you are fleeing. You get to daddy as quick as you can by phone, through the lawyer, or on foot.

While cops may or may not be dirty . . . . social services ALWAYS is rabid and maybe a touch evil. No chances even if somebody says it is okay to talk to them. It is never okay to talk to them. Daddy's number, Lawyer's number and nothing else, nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

they make pretty white outlines when needed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:42 am 

One MORE time, do NOT talk to tin; federal, state or local.

They are NOT your friends and they DON'T work for YOU.

If you absolutely can't keep your mouth shut practice reciting "I'm not granting ANY interviews but you may chat with my attorney."

Then put a sock in it.

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

"I need to speak to my attorney and I do not consent to any searches."

(Thanks, Joel! :) )

Repeat it until it's automatic. Embroider it in cross stitch and hang it above your computer desk or your reloading bench. Make it your personal mantra. MEMORIZE IT!

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:

(Thanks, Joel! :) )

Repeat it until it's automatic. Embroider it in cross stitch and hang it above your computer desk or your reloading bench. Make it your personal mantra. MEMORIZE IT!

Too many words, all you need to remember is one, keep repeating it whenever you are asked any questions.

Lawyer

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Miranda Warning is really comprehended by very few arrestees. It does serve as a repetitive leaning aid to police officers, who are supposed to repeat the warning before intimidating a confession out of someone. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:06 pm 
The Man

tman065 wrote:

Yup. While some of us talk about the various ruses and techniques that cops can use during <s>interrogations</s> interviews, folks I know and trust who have actually done <s>interrogations</s> interviews have been pretty consistent that, by far, the most commonly used techniques are just asking and listening.

That said, orthogonally . . . I think some of us (I'm pointing a finger at me, as well as others) get involved in selection bias in this sort of stuff. In fact, people talk to the cops very frequently, even on criminal matters, without the presence or advice of counsel. And, often -- most of the time, I'd bet, and by a lot -- nothing bad happens because of it, even in some dramatic matters.

The problem is that what may appear to any of us to actually be a routine inquiry, or a commonsense time to cooperate, can --without any notice at all -- actually be something entirely different.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Until you look at a cop and tell them you have had enough experience with them to KNOW....

You don't talk to a cop without a lawyer.

Then you get threatened with obstructing justice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:

The problem is that what may appear to any of us to actually be a routine inquiry, or a commonsense time to cooperate, can --without any notice at all -- actually be something entirely different.

I try hard, I mean REALLY HARD, to make it seem that all my inquiries are routine. :lol: I'm usually a very friendly guy when I'm working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
Then you get threatened with obstructing justice.

Generally speaking, Obstructing charges in MN, if you are not the subject of arrest, involve actively DOING something, like physically blocking or restraining an LEO, or hiding someone from the fuzz...

Resisting arrest (obstructing), OTH, only requires PASSIVE resistance.

In my experience, If you refuse to cooperate with the police in an investigation, they can THREATEN charges all they want. Doesn't mean they will follow through. Personally, I don't make idle threats to citizens. It only encourages the behaviors in the future...
(YMMV)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.