Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mourning Miranda 
 Post subject: Mourning Miranda
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm 
The Man

... while it's neither MN-specific nor carry-specific, thisis well worth reading, particularly for folks who haven't quite grasped the risks of conversing with the authorities.

Note how it's pretty SOP for the badged person to explain how much in your interest it is for you to be chatty.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

As I was censored elsewhere for saying, "It should come as no great shock that police officers would tend to favor methods of a police state."

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:39 pm 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
As I was censored elsewhere for saying, "It should come as no great shock that police officers would tend to favor methods of a police state."
Hey, if you're going to hang out at Mos Eisley, don't be surprised if you get Greedo all over you.

All in all, I think it depends on the police officer. There are folks of character and depth of character who carry badges.

But before POST, it was almost entirely a cultural thing -- a cop was "raised" and pretty much completely trained in his (usually his, rarely her) first department, and learned "how things are done" by whatever the actual local standards were.

Nowadays, of course, initial training is accomplished in the POST programs, and then the departments go shopping among the graduates for the kind of people who are already what they want, and largely get what they want. Which, IMHO, solves almost none of the problems of the old system and introduces new ones.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Can please someone post an executive summary of the 84 page PDF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 pm 
The Man

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Can please someone post an executive summary of the 84 page PDF?
Sure: Miranda's dead. It won't protect you; it's been weakened by successive whittlings, and there's more ways around it than you've been told.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I keep hearing the statement," I don't have to read you your rights until I arrest you."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:31 pm 
The Man

farmerj wrote:
I keep hearing the statement," I don't have to read you your rights until I arrest you."
Free speech is protected by the First Amendment. :)

I think the point of the paper is that it doesn't matter very much whether or not you're read your rights, or when; Miranda is pretty much a dead issue, as 1: police procedure has largely adapted to it, turning it from a protection for citizens into an interrogation tool, and 2: after being whittled at for forty years, it holds less water than a colander.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:

That's the time to get up and walk away. :) It certainly sounds like that means you wouldn't be under arrest.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:
Hey, if you're going to hang out at Mos Eisley, don't be surprised if you get Greedo all over you.

All in all, I think it depends on the police officer. There are folks of character and depth of character who carry badges.

Oh indeed, that's why I used "tend" and "favor", not more absolute words. But what irks me the most is that my post was yoicked after some dude PM'ed the mod. I don't blame the mod, but the unknown guy who went crying like a b!tch to tattle, and didn't have the seeds to openly criticize me. That's just chickensh!t, IMNSHO.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
farmerj wrote:
Free speech is protected by the First Amendment. :)

I think the point of the paper is that it doesn't matter very much whether or not you're read your rights, or when; Miranda is pretty much a dead issue, as 1: police procedure has largely adapted to it, turning it from a protection for citizens into an interrogation tool, and 2: after being whittled at for forty years, it holds less water than a colander.

At least with the right tension, a colander will hold water.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 pm 

princewally wrote:
farmerj wrote:

That's the time to get up and walk away. :) It certainly sounds like that means you wouldn't be under arrest.

Until you incriminate yourself, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

But you incriminate yourself by trying to walk away even if there is nothing incriminating or you incriminate yourself by not walking away . . . which would happen if you thought you needeed to wait around to not incriminate yourself.

Last edited by Macx on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:02 pm 

We have an understaffed, underbugeted law enforcement edifice which spends 40% of its time trying to enforce unpopular laws that are uniquely difficult to enforce, and 40% of its time intervening in domestic disputes that the legal system was never designed to resolve. We should neither be surprised that shortcuts are taken nor that those members of society with the least intelligence and schooling, the most meager financial resources and the least social support end up being treated unfairly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlX ... re=related

So anything you do is wrong

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I am amazed at the number of people who will talk to me during a criminal investigation.

In the jail, Mirandized, included.

My advice to my own children is this: If you are involved with the police and are NOT being brought home, call me and shut up.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.