Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Voyageurs Park prepares for new concealed weapon rule 
 Post subject: Voyageurs Park prepares for new concealed weapon rule
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article ... id=533486#
Quote:
INTERNATIONAL FALLS, Minn. -- The chief ranger at Voyageurs National Park says park staff are wary of a rule change that will allow concealed weapons into the park next month.

On Dec. 5, the Bush administration said it was overturning a 25-year-old federal rule that severely restricts loaded guns in national parks.

As of Jan. 5, visitors will be able to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge -- including Voyageurs in northern Minnesota -- if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon.

Hummel says the park staff is concerned about how the rule change will effect contact between park rangers, visitors and wildlife.

Groups of current and retired park service employees are on the record as being against the rule. They fear it will increase impulse killing of wildlife and put visitor and ranger safety at risk.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Post subject: Re: Voyageurs Park prepares for new concealed weapon rule
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=533486#
Quote:
Groups of current and retired park service employees are on the record as being against the rule. They fear it will increase impulse killing of wildlife and put visitor and ranger safety at risk.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

If impulse control were a problem, I'd most likely be a serial rapist, since I like to admire the female form... (did I get the color right for sarcasm?)

Plus, since I carry as a matter of course for work, I should be shooting bad guys instead of arresting them, based on that logic. Crikey!

Impulse control, my ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

They don't have to worry about any deaths until the lightrail gets put in.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:14 pm 

Even after five years the press can't give up on the wild west predictions.

There was a very quiet change in Minnesota law a couple of years ago that stripped park rangers of peace officer status. I have never been able to find the back story, and the media never picked it up. Maybe the rangers are still stinging from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:16 pm 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Hummel says the park staff is concerned about how the rule change will effect contact between park rangers, visitors and wildlife.

Unless the wildlife are raging members of the Dozen Moms, I'd say the only variable to be worried about is on the part of the park staff and rangers. I suppose they must be concerned about trying to push their biased preferences on the citizenry in the form of harassment, intimidation, or made-up "rules" and "policys".

Train your people. That ought to be the only "concern".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

As long as the park rangers don't try to run the visitors off the road and then pistol-whip them while they are out of uniform, they shouldn't have any problems with permit holders.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:02 pm 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
As long as the park rangers don't try to run the visitors off the road and then pistol-whip them while they are out of uniform, they shouldn't have any problems with permit holders.
Less so than with non permit holders, if the stats aren't wildly different in national parks than outside.

Last summer, I spent a couple hours chatting with an LEO park ranger at Devil's Tower, while he was waiting around for the repair guy to show up and put a new alternator in our van. For some reason, the carry in parks issue came up, and not only was his take that he wasn't worried, as there wasn't anything to worry about, but he didn't know anybody in the service who was.

My own theory is that the Federal employees the reporter talked to was actually at Voyeurs National Park, and were worried about the skogies that some MN state senator used to see . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm 

I've been an annual visitor to Kabetogama for 20-years and the off-the-record consensus amongst the DNR & NPS guys is that our group (comprised of mostly career LEO's) should carry and take as many bears as possible while on our fishing trips, since THEY can't do anything about them. The agreement was to not respond to shots-fired during our 10-days up there each year. :lol:

Frankly, I'm not the least bit worried about permit holders in our parks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's nothing to "prepare" for. It will be like Y2K all over again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
There's nothing to "prepare" for. It will be like Y2K all over again.

Exactly -- as one commenter pointed out. Obviously a very perceptive and intelligent guy, whoever it was. OK, it was me:
Quote:
What does the headline mean by "Voyageurs Park prepares"? I did not get from the story what preparation was being done. The story has no content other than unsubstantiated expressions of anxiety. Why is it taking up space, except of course to provide an example for me to complain about of the lame state of journalism today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

But there will be BLOOD IN THE TREES and LAKES! :roll:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm 

Ease up, they are park rangers NOT rocket scientists :lol:
They need to get out of the woods more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm preparing for permit holders to come to the park. Please talk to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:47 am 

I always thought it was "Voyeurs National Park." I kept my eye out for it but never found it. Now I see I was wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

LOL - the Skogies ... good one ... only problem is a Skogie, by definition, is a window peeper and there are no windows up there. Of course I can't say for sure, because only Wes has first hand familiarity with the particulars of the practice.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.