Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Any info on Utah permit? 
 Post subject: Any info on Utah permit?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:27 am 
Journeyman Member

I got 1 OWI in wisconsin in 2004, I am wondering since the first is NOT a criminal offense. Do you think that it would stop me from getting the Utah permit? Do you think I should even try it? I am taking the MN class tomorrow and for $50 extra I am wondering if I should even try. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Any info on Utah permit?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:32 am 
Forum Moderator

ssax wrote:
I got 1 OWI in wisconsin in 2004, I am wondering since the first is NOT a criminal offense. Do you think that it would stop me from getting the Utah permit? Do you think I should even try it? I am taking the MN class tomorrow and for $50 extra I am wondering if I should even try. Thanks!
Save your money.

Assuming OWI means "operating while intoxicated".... Utah has a 6 year look-back on alcohol offenses. They will not issue the permit if 6 years has not elapsed since the resolution of the incident. See item #3 on their "yes/no" questions....

You could apply to Florida though.

One might also opine that if you live in Ramsey County you may have issues also....

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Your instructor is ripping you off. I don't charge extra for Utah. Most instructors don't.

And your instructor should be able to give you good advice on the old DUI. If he can't, he's not a good instructor.

[edited to add:] Paul beat me to it, and said it better. He is a perfect example of a non-crappy instructor. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:32 am 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Your instructor is ripping you off. I don't charge extra for Utah. Most instructors don't.

Hmm, let me get this straight.

An instructor charges a student $150 for a class that includes Utah, as previously pointed out. I charge $90 for a Minnesota class that does not include Utah because some students do not want Utah or to sit through the extra class time that is needed for Utah. I charge $60 less in this case, so this is a rip off? Or is it the instructor that is charge $60 more for something a student doesn't even want the rip off?

Now a student that wants Utah from me, I charge an extra $25. So with the Minnesota fee of $90 and the Utah fee of $25, the total cost to the student is $115. If my math is correct, that is still $35 less than some other instructors charge for both, hmm.

As usual, I am confused........

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 am 
Journeyman Member

of course I live in Ramsey... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:28 am 
Journeyman Member

Another question, should I apply for purchase permit too at the same time. In case I am denied, since I will be purchasing too? Again, this being Ramsey and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:10 am 
Longtime Regular

You apply for the transferee (Purchase) permit at the local PD, not the Sheriff. I'd say apply for both. The Purchase permit is free and will probably come in a lo sooner than the maximum 30 days Ramsey may take for the Carry permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:40 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

I took the Utah course with almost no intention of applying in Utah but I figured it would be interesting to hear the differences in the law.

I think I paid an extra $25 for the Utah information and didn't consider it a rip-off at all. The students who didn't want the Utah info left early and saved $25. Those that wanted it, stayed longer and paid $25 more.

Of course my whole class with Utah was only $125 which is considerably less than many charge for just Minn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Mosin,
Welcome to the forum. Keep your head down (in this topic). :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:

I take it back. Maybe I should be charging more. :)

Post subject: Being a Utah Instructor Costs more with their rule changes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 pm 

cobb wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Hmm, let me get this straight.

An instructor charges a student $150 for a class that includes Utah, as previously pointed out. I charge $90 for a Minnesota class that does not include Utah because some students do not want Utah or to sit through the extra class time that is needed for Utah. I charge $60 less in this case, so this is a rip off? Or is it the instructor that is charge $60 more for something a student doesn't even want the rip off?

Now a student that wants Utah from me, I charge an extra $25. So with the Minnesota fee of $90 and the Utah fee of $25, the total cost to the student is $115. If my math is correct, that is still $35 less than some other instructors charge for both, hmm.

+1 Like most of you, I suspect, I became a Utah instructor via mail and my direct costs were the fees involved and the special stamp. If I understand correctly I now need to spend the time and money to drive\fly to Utah for their 4 hour instructor renewal class. I charge $10 extra for Utah and think it is good deal for the students. Their renewal classes are already booked thru Feb so I'll be deciding if I want to renew since my cert expires in May.

BTW got a call a few weeks back from Utah, investigator had a complaint, no name given. Said I refused to provide him Utah training. I suspect he was was a student in class I teach with several others to help the club. The training was too old to qualify for Utah and besides I don't just stamp them and drop them in the mail. I offered to provide Utah if he attended our renewal class and he hung up. The investigator asked two minutes of questions and said that is what we expect from our instructors and also said he hoped I would renew. If I do the price will be going up to at least $15, maybe $20. Anybody else had calls from Utah?

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.