Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Truth in Duluth. 
 Post subject: Truth in Duluth.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:36 am 
Wise Elder

Quote:
Published December 28 2008
Local view: Firearms prohibitionists take their meddling to people’s living rooms
A week before Minnesota’s firearm deer season I visited my 86-year-old father. He regaled me with an entertaining stream of tales from his 70 years as a deer hunter in the north woods. He lamented his failing eyesight and then rose from his ancient recliner and went to the closet where he keeps his guns. He took out a battered old case and handed it me. “I want you to have this.”

By: Russ Stewart , Duluth News Tribune

A week before Minnesota’s firearm deer season I visited my 86-year-old father. He regaled me with an entertaining stream of tales from his 70 years as a deer hunter in the north woods. He lamented his failing eyesight and then rose from his ancient recliner and went to the closet where he keeps his guns. He took out a battered old case and handed it me. “I want you to have this.”

I knew what was inside. A Savage model 219 single-shot 30-30 rifle. My father bought it in 1944 for $12. It’s well worn after more than 60 years of hard use. It was an honor to be given such an heirloom. Over the past few years my father has passed on most of his modest collection of firearms to his children and grandchildren. It is his way of passing on our family’s heritage.

However, if some people [CSM] had their way, my father would be a felon the next time he passed on a firearm to a family member. These people complain about a so-called “gun show loophole,” which, if you were to accept the rhetoric of firearm prohibitionists, is responsible for an endless stream of death and carnage.

In truth, attempts to close the “loophole” are really attacks on cherished freedoms that have been quietly enjoyed by millions of Americans since the founding of our nation. With the exception of those unfortunate residents of a few nanny-states, citizens of the U.S. always have been able to gift, buy, sell and trade firearms without the interference of government.

But if people like Duluth’s Joan Peterson, a member of the national board of trustees of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (and the author of the Dec. 9 Local View commentary, “ ‘Gun show loophole,’ still open in Minnesota, must be closed”) are able to enact their legislative agenda, this liberty will be extinguished. The sad part is that if they are successful, crime rates would be unaffected. It is well established that only a tiny fraction of guns used to commit crimes come from gun shows. But that doesn’t stop the prohibitionists from scaring people with exaggerated stories.

Peterson wrote that we need to pass a law to “require unlicensed sellers to perform background checks on buyers at gun shows and other venues.” What she didn’t write was that these “other venues” include my father’s living room. The proposed legislation requires a background check for every private firearm bought, sold or gifted. So when Peterson claimed the proposed law “wouldn’t change anything for law-abiding citizens,” she was simply wrong.

Another thing firearm prohibitionists won’t tell you is that in order for a universal background check system to be effective, every gun would need to be registered with the government.

There are those who would take offense at my use of the term “prohibitionist” to describe members of groups like the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Northland Million Moms, but actions speak louder than words. While speaking of “reasonable gun laws,” they advocate a program of incremental prohibition of private firearm ownership.

Our nation already has more than 20,000 laws relating to firearms, and 99 percent of them are an affront to liberty. [Furthermore, impartial academic studies consistently demonstrate that "gun laws" have no measurable crime reduction effect -- none!] As new laws are introduced in response to Brady Campaign scare tactics, I am reminded of the words of Ben Franklin: “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.”

I’ve got news for the prohibitionists of the world. My father won’t give up his freedom to pass on his legacy without government interference — and neither will I, nor will my family, nor my friends. Nor will millions of other freedom-loving citizens. The passage of a new set of gun-control laws would simply create a new class of felons out of formerly law-abiding citizens.

And that may have a set of unintended consequences all its own.

RUSS STEWART of Duluth served two terms on the City Council and is a professor at Lake Superior College.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/108236/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular

wow, great article!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Fantastic article.

Anyone who wants to change any gun laws should read it.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Heh, written by a city politician no less.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Someone buy this guy a beer. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:33 pm 
Journeyman Member

I did not realize that the way they are trying to close the supposed loop hole would affect the private transfer of firearms as in this article. just what we need, to make felons of everyone. once they get us to register all firearms then they can more easily track and confiscate them like they did in england and i think now in austrailia.
maybe i can send the professor a gift card for writing such a good article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

While a great article, far too many Minnesotians do not, and probably will not ever, get it. These words to them are foreign in both context and meaning. All they need to see is "guns" and "control is bad" to immediately turn off their listening skills and launch into a diatribe about how many more laws we need to prevent the carnage.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.