Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 "Gun" story on KSTP tonight 12-30-08 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

It sounds like they have a better city council, loyal to their oath to uphold the constitution, which includes the second amendment. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
100.3FM KTLK

RIGHT NOW, this topic is being brought up. The two antis on the council are trying to have the meetings moved to a school.

It'd be great if the superintendent of that school was willing to subvert the intent of the PSH bunch and grant permission to anyone who wanted to carry at that school solely for the purposes of that meeting, and only for that meeting. I seem to remember that one can carry at a school with the administrators written permission under provisions of MN law.

[ETA:] I'm fairly confident I'm wrong on that, but I seem to remember it coming up during one debate or another...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

Binky .357 wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
100.3FM KTLK

RIGHT NOW, this topic is being brought up. The two antis on the council are trying to have the meetings moved to a school.

It'd be great if the superintendent of that school was willing to subvert the intent of the PSH bunch and grant permission to anyone who wanted to carry at that school solely for the purposes of that meeting, and only for that meeting. I seem to remember that one can carry at a school with the administrators written permission under provisions of MN law.

[ETA:] I'm fairly confident I'm wrong on that, but I seem to remember it coming up during one debate or another...

you are correct you can carry at a school with written permission from an official(not sure if stated as has to be the superintendent of the school or if principal will suffice<my high school superintentdent was at a separate building>)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:19 pm 

It would seem unlikely that the meeting will be moved as those who are against carry have no actual position in the city. They are bitter former councilmen and their friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Awesome!

Post subject: Set the record straight about Greenfield Council & Guns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm 

I tend to remain silent in forums, but this issue calls for a response.

Leonard Jankowski, now a former Greenfield City Council member, was one of the ones that protested the concealed weapons in the Greenfield Council Chambers. A lifetime NRA member he is also a refugee from Nazi Germany. He joined the US Navy as soon as he could because he wanted to protect the great land that he had become a citizen of.

He has served on the tip of the spear as a Naval Officer to protect the rights of idiots like the council member that DROPPED his weapon in the city council chamber.

As a former US Marine, I can tell you that dropping a weapon is an almost un-pardonable sin and is indicative of someone who is certainly not qualified to carry. What an idiot he was on that night and is today. I was always taught that when a weapon leaves it's holster, you had better be ready to shoot............and when you shoot...........you shoot to kill. Center mass all of the way. You do not drop a weapon!

When I learned about this incident, I was furious because the council chambers in Greenfield have been contentious.....to say the least. I also see no need to carry in those chambers as the Hennepin County Sheriff is almost always in the other room.

The carrying of weapons that was the subject of this discussion was done by small minded people that thought it would make them feel larger than the small people that they are. People that carry a weapon because it makes them feel bigger than they are, or because it is "cool" are dangerous. They are the people that got sand kicked in their faces as kids and see a gun as a "great equalizer". A 22...........what a joke!

As a child, I remember some soviet era visitors that were sent home with my dad.....I think maybe the state department set it up. When they saw the guns in his gun cabinet and asked my dad about them, he told them that they were for when the government threatened our rights.

I do not carry, never have. I don't even feel the need. If I did, I would. I honestly got my fill of shooting in the service. A pistol is heavy and chaffs. I can't think of a need to carry in Greenfield unless it is to intimidate.

Leonard Jankowski raised two sons that joined the USMC. I am one of them. He is most definitely pro-gun and I would not recommend that any of the small minded 22 carrying Greenfield folks come into his house. I can assure you that they would be answered with something that has considerably more stopping power than a 22.

Leonard Jankowski taught me to shoot as a very young boy...........in Maple Grove of all places. Both my brother and I went on to shoot high expert in every qualification in the Marines. I went 10 for 10 at the 500 meter line without a scope.....a 6" group. Needless to say, the entire Jankowski family is pro-gun. We are also anti-gun idiots and if we have to push for exclusions of guns from council meetings because of the antics of fools, we will. The right to life is, after all, more important than the right to carry........and some should not have a right to carry.

If I were carrying, and I saw a council member reach for a gun and drop it on the floor, where do you think my hand would go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 pm 

Is my banana intimidating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

small minded people?, need to carry? .22s?, contentious council proceedings? right to life? "more important' than the right to carry? never see the need to carry? protect the great land?

Thanks for your service, guys. But, we'll keep our gun rights, and do our own thinking, thank you anyway.

Post subject: Think Away
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 pm 

But anyone that wants to carry a gun to get someone to not serve in a bpou is a fool.

I can assure you that Mr. Turnham is a pro second amendment guy also.....he is also a thinker.

I too am a thinker and I don't think.........I KNOW that some people are not qualified to carry.

Thoughts are thoughts, facts are facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm not commenting much on the council situation, as I really know very little about it. But here are a few comments on your comments from a total outsider:

- Dropping guns is bad, I agree.

- People carrying guns for the wrong reasons -- bad also. Don't know whether that applies here.

- I can understand and respect sticking up for one's father.

Now for the juicy bits:

Quote:
"I can't think of a need to carry in Greenville..."

Well, there are lots of dead people who were unable/unwilling to carry in places that they previously had thought were safe, unfortunately. That's why I carry a heavy pistol that can be uncomfortable at times. And I'd like to be able to make such choices for myself.

Incidentally, are you worried about people murdering each other or threatening each others' lives at these contentious council meetings, if guns are present (and presumably not worried if guns are absent), even with a sheriff in the next room?

Quote:
"When they saw the guns in his gun cabinet and asked my dad about them, he told them that they were for when the government threatened our rights."
Would that include the right to carry a firearm, whether in a city council meeting or not?

Quote:
"I would not recommend that any of the small minded 22 carrying Greenfield folks come into his house. I can assure you that they would be answered with something that has considerably more stopping power than a 22."

I realize 22LR and similar do not have the stopping power of other cartridges, but I for one would HATE to get popped with one and would do everything in my power to avoid it. I like keeping my blood inside my body, confined to my cardiovascular system. Different folks make different gun/ammo choices, sometimes for good reasons, and I respect informed choices. I don't see any point in disparaging people based on such choices. If a .22 is so pathetic, then why is anyone at the meetings worried?

I'm assuming you mean if they were to break in, versus gunning them down for merely being in the house. Either way, isn't this getting uncomfortably close to a threat of sorts, or violent fantasy? Maybe I misunderstand your intent, but I find it mildly disturbing as stated. Please correct me if I am mistaken on this last point (or any point), as I don't want to misunderstand you on a comment like this, especially when you appear to be posting using your real name.

[Edited twice to add quote function on quotes. Someday I'll learn to use them properly.]

Post subject: No Threats On This Board From This Poster
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:53 pm 

Of course, a break in would be necessary before any smart gun owner would pull out a weapon. The only justifiable use of a weapon is to protect life and case law allows deadly force in the case of a home invasion.

Nobody would want to be hit by a 22, or even a BB gun.

Yes, when someone who has publicly stated that his "carrying" is intimidating, there is a fear of safety in a council meeting. One should not have to carry to feel safe in the city council chambers. One should not have to fear a council member.

I am not, of course, saying that anyone is afraid of the council member in question.

The right to carry is not the right to intimidate. A real man doesn't need to hide behind a gun to prove his toughness. A gun should be a weapon of last resort.

I guess I specifically object to Him carrying, not the right to carry. I do not mean to disparage people that carry 22's, I just think that it is funny that that is considered impressive.

The right to carry a concealed weapon is a right that we should protect. People that carry should not broadcast the fact that they carry or brandish a weapon in a public forum. Dropping it goes even further than brandishing. It proves to me an unworthiness to carry.

Of course if many people carried a weapon, and if you didn't know who had them, people would not pull them out and brandish them.

Yes, my name is Steve Jankowski and I am glad to say that I no longer live in Greenfield and that my father no longer has to be involved in the petty political disputes in the Greenfield City Council chambers.

Most of the council members in that city are conservatives who of course support the second amendment. I think all of the council members would agree on most political issues. Some of them are petty and unwise in the way that they serve their constituents the the specific city of Greenfield.

Political disputes should not digress to the brandishing of guns.

If my previous words seam harsh, I apologize. I do feel strongly about certain people involved in that specific city government.

Post subject: Re: Think Away
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:26 am 
Longtime Regular

ex gyrene wrote:
But anyone that wants to carry a gun to get someone to not serve in a bpou is a fool.

I can assure you that Mr. Turnham is a pro second amendment guy also.....he is also a thinker.

I too am a thinker and I don't think.........I KNOW that some people are not qualified to carry.

Thoughts are thoughts, facts are facts.

So, I suppose one should be pre-qualified to enjoy his constitutional rights? For example, the right to vote, to speak, to travel, to own property, to liberty, life, etc.

We have a great Constitution, now we just need to decide which members of our society it should apply to. Facts are facts, of course. Not everybody is "qualified". :?

It's good to be "Qualified", but best to be the "Decider of Qualifications". Can I have that job?

Post subject: Re: Set the record straight about Greenfield Council & G
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

ex gyrene wrote:
I tend to remain silent in forums, but this issue calls for a response.

Shouldn't you be posting here or here?

Your rhetoric seems a little out of place is all that I'm saying. Not saying you're unwelcome (and this is definately not my place to do so), just helping out someone who might be a little puzzled as to where he is.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject: Re: No Threats On This Board From This Poster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

ex gyrene wrote:
Of course, a break in would be necessary before any smart gun owner would pull out a weapon. The only justifiable use of a weapon is to protect life and case law allows deadly force in the case of a home invasion.

So if you're attacked anywhere outside your home, you have no right to defend yourself?

You may be right that someone would be safe in the council meeting rooms. But requiring someone to be disarmed at the council meetings requires that they be disarmed while traveling to and from the council meeting, unless you are providing secure storage during the meeting. The meeting room may be safe. Is the parking lot?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.