Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Permission to carry at a school 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Knife talk got me thinking...

Those of you that have permission to carry a gun at you kids schools, do you also have permission to carry your kinfe or do you take it off before entering. It seems like the examples of permission that you gave specify gun/pistol/firearm and arent vauge like "dangerous weapon." Ive yet to ask for permission... soon though.

(thinking over 609.66)

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:06 am 
Longtime Regular

AFAIK, Knives are not dangerous weapons. Unless they are used as a weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Subd. 6.Dangerous weapon.

"Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm, any combustible or flammable liquid or other device or instrumentality that, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm, or any fire that is used to produce death or great bodily harm.

My carry knives aren't designed as weapons.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Would an attorney designate them as a dangerous weapon? Is that where 4" blade stuff comes into play (got that from the Sportsmans Warehouse guy too)?

Otherwise, thats good that we dont have to worry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

PocketProtector642 wrote:
Would an attorney designate them as a dangerous weapon? Is that where 4" blade stuff comes into play (got that from the Sportsmans Warehouse guy too)?

Otherwise, thats good that we dont have to worry about that.

There is MN case law that says knives are not dangerous, per se.

I am sorry I can't cite it for you, but one of my local Assistant County Attorneys was the public defender - years ago - who argued it. I'll ask him about it next week and get the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
There is MN case law that says knives are not dangerous, per se.

I am sorry I can't cite it for you, but one of my local Assistant County Attorneys was the public defender - years ago - who argued it. I'll ask him about it next week and get the details.

tman, you read my mind. After I posted I realized that case law would be the place to find something like this. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

3 inch folder = YES
Quote:
http://www.lawlibrary.state.mn.us/archive/ctappub/0104/c6001254.htm
Appellant P.W.F., a juvenile, challenges a trial court order that concludes that he possessed a dangerous weapon on school property. Appellant argues that the three-inch-blade folding knife that he possessed was not designed as a weapon and, therefore, is not a “dangerous weapon.” Because the state failed to submit evidence to show that the knife was designed as a weapon, we reverse

Do unpublished opinions matter at all? The 2 below are unpublished opinions. Both are against knives in schools.

3-4 inch folder = NO
Quote:
http://www.lawlibrary.state.mn.us/archive/ctapun/9809/629.htm
While attending a Minneapolis high school, appellant carried a folded knife in his back pocket; the knife had a 3-4 inch razor edge and a blunt end and was called a "cane cutter." Appellant moved to dismiss the charge, arguing that the device was a tool for cutting cane and was not designed as a weapon. The district court denied the motion and appellant proceeded to trial on stipulated facts, preserving this issue for appeal. Because the record supports the district court's conclusion that appellant possessed a dangerous weapon on school property, we affirm.

Locking 4inch folder = NO
Quote:
http://www.lawlibrary.state.mn.us/archive/ctapun/0101/907.htm
The trial court concluded that the buck knife was a dangerous weapon because of its length and locking mechanism. We agree. When open, the blade of the buck knife locks into place and cannot be folded down without the purposeful depression of a mechanism on the handle. In the locked position, the buck knife is no different from a switchblade. See In re C.R.M., 611 N.W.2d 802, 805 (Minn. 2000) (stating that the intent of the legislature in enacting Minn. Stat. § 609.66, subd. 1d(a) (2000), was to prevent possession of weapons, such as switchblades, in schools); State v. Henderson, 289 Minn. 490, 492, 185 N.W.2d 892, 894 (1971) (defendant found guilty of assaulting the victim with a dangerous weapon where he attacked the victim with a switchblade). In this position, the buck knife does not bend. It is capable of being used for offensive or defensive infliction of bodily harm, and becomes a dangerous weapon. The 3 7/8-inch length of the knife further contributes to its dangerous nature.[1] For these reasons, we conclude that the trial court did not err in concluding that the buck knife S.M.F. possessed was a dangerous weapon prohibited on school property.

I dont know what the heck I'm doing. I took 1 law class in college, but its proving to be worthless.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.