Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 5:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Employer parking lot? 
 Post subject: Employer parking lot?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:47 am 

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I cannot find it.

My employer posts that guns are no tpermitted in the building. As a permit holder can I legally leave my gun in the car on their private property? The gun would be in the glove box or console, but not locked unloaded in a separate area, like the trunk.

The employee handbook is unintelligible and no one in HR can explain it to me. They tell me the lawyers wrote it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 pm 

As I understand, the parking lot is part of the business. The only real difference is your not told before you get to the door.
Regardless, your vehicle is your private property, thousands of us leave our firearms in our car, out of sight, when going to work everyday. My self included, just make sure you leave the door locked and alarm on if you have one. Better yet, if you want you can get a bolt down lock box.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:30 pm 

Is it legal? Yes.

Can they terminate you for having a firearm on the property if it's against their rules? Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Work rules is work rules. :lol:

I was told by my HR advisors back in the day that I/we could prohibit smoking at home (the penalty being termination), or any other type of activity, as long as it applied to everyone.

I have wondered for a long time about the liability that a company/corporation/business-owner assumes if they allow carry at the worksite. Might anyone have an answer to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:51 pm 

Hi All, new member here.

I thought the law specifically addressed, and allowed for, carry in parking areas and keeping your gun in the car even at your place of employment.

I found this online with a quick search (Note paragraph C):

Subd. 18. Employers; public colleges and universities. (a) An employer, whether public or
private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees
while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may
be invoked for a violation.
(b) A public postsecondary institution regulated under chapter 136F or 137 may establish
policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's
property. Academic sanctions may be invoked for a violation.
(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may
not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

340PD wrote:
Hi All, new member here.

I thought the law specifically addressed, and allowed for, carry in parking areas and keeping your gun in the car even at your place of employment.

Subd. 18. Employers; public colleges and universities. (a) An employer, whether public or
private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees
while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may
(b) A public postsecondary institution regulated under chapter 136F or 137 may establish
policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's
(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may
not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.

Good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:24 pm 
Wise Elder

Yes, it is legal. Parking lots cannot be posted (unless it's a church parking lot).

No, they cannot fire you for this (they could dream up something else).

Keep it out of sight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:00 pm 

OK thanks for the info. It is out of sight.

It's too bad they can't ban stupidity at the workplace. It's also a shame that there is no defense against that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 pm 

Also the less said about your gun at work the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:54 pm 

340PD wrote:
Hi All, new member here.

Nice job for a first time post!

Welcome to the board.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 am 

CraigJS wrote:
Also the less said about your gun at work the better.

Agreed. This has been my policy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 am 
Longtime Regular

MN Statutes 181.938

In Minnesota,your employer cannot prevent you from smoking when you are off premises and off duty.

(Don't tell the righteous branch of the DFL) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
I have wondered for a long time about the liability that a company/corporation/business-owner assumes if they allow carry at the worksite. Might anyone have an answer to that?

I have wondered too, seeing as if a business bans carry/self defense and the SHTF I'm holding their ass liable for my safety for many millions in court. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
Traveler wrote:

I have wondered too, seeing as if a business bans carry/self defense and the SHTF I'm holding their ass liable for my safety for many millions in court. :twisted:

You are not required to work there, you can find another job with policies you agree with. As such, you are the one choosing to disarm, and you are the one responsible for your saftey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:00 am 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
Traveler wrote:

You are not required to work there, you can find another job with policies you agree with. As such, you are the one choosing to disarm, and you are the one responsible for your saftey.

Thus is also a good point, in this sue happy country, I'm pretty sure that unless the company did something to "insure my safety" such as a security gaurd or something, I'd either win or settle out of court.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.