Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Question about holster legality....... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 am 
On time out

Here's my recollection of 22 years ago:

My wife and I are on our Honeymoon in Kalifornia. On the 2nd day we check into a motel in Laguna Beach at about 4:00 pm. 5 minutes after we enter the room there's a knock on the door. I say "who is it?" The guy asks if I have any jumper cables. Ignorantly, I open the door. Next thing I know there's a guy standing there with a scarf around his face with his saw-off-shotgun touching my belly. He calmly asks for all our money. While digging in my pocket, the only thing I could think about was the S&W model 66 in my suitcase and why I opened the door without it in my hand. Long story short, the bad guy didn't enter the room, but took off with $60 from my money clip. By the time I found my gun in the suitcase, he sped away in a Ford Taurus. When the cops arrived they said they'd contact us if they catch the guy. Never did hear from the Laguna cops.

As a footnote, we were smart enough to have our cash spread around. Some on me, some in the toiletry bag and some in our socks. At the time of the robbery, we had about $800 in cash. I've never been a fan of credit cards. Not even today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:56 pm 
Journeyman Member

Magnum Mikie wrote:
flyt100 wrote:
Magnum Mikie wrote:

Flyt100 stated: "One of your fingers can get on the trigger in this rush (wrong grip). Pull it out, and there is a decent chance of pulling the trigger."

Fly, are you saying your fingers couldn't get on the trigger while rushing to pull the pistol from a "regular" pocket holster?

Back to lurking!

This is true. With my regular pocket holsters, the triggers are fully covered and I can't get a finger on the trigger while drawing.

Fly, so while using your regular pocket holster, the trigger is covered while drawing...................does this mean you pull the pistol out of your pocket while still holstered and then remove the pistol from the holster after the pistol/holster is removed from your pocket? If the holster remains in your pocket while removing the gun then this means your trigger is exposed to your fingers while taking it out of your pocket.

Not quite sure how else to explain it (not going to make a YouTube video of it), but yes it prevents a finger from getting at the trigger while drawing, and yes, with the holster in my pocket believe it or not. The trigger is not visible until the gun is pulled out of it a couple of inches. By then, the grip has been applied.

In fact, what typically happens, depending on the pants, is that the holster rides up slightly with the draw due to the friction of the index finger on the holster, and the fact that the pocket liner just comes along for the ride. The holster eventually gets snagged and stays in the pocket due to the shape (and the pocket liner can only ride up so much), causing the trigger to not be exposed until withdrawal from the pocket in some cases.

Even if it was an incorrect grip, any finger that could have accidentally curled into the trigger guard during the gripping is forced to be pointing straight ahead by the presence of the holster.

I guess one can manufacture a case where this doesn't happen (as you say nothing is 100%), but to me it doesn't mean it I shouldn't protect the trigger for the 99% of the time it prevents a problem.

OK, for fun I took my Kel-Tec in a pocket without a holster. Within 10 tries at getting a FAST grip, my middle finger went on the trigger. Finishing the grip, or pulling to draw could have pulled the trigger. I've never had it happen with a pocket holster it's good enough for me.

I don't know, it works for me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.