Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Carry/Hunting? 
Author Message
 Post subject: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:32 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 am
Posts: 10
Location: United States
Is it legal to carry a concealed handgun while Rifle hunting. Especially if the handgun does not meet the DNR's list of acceptable handgun hunting cartidges. For example, can I carry my 40 S&W concealed while rifle hunting Whitetails. My intention is not to hunt with the 40, I have a rifle for that, but can I carry it for PP if I desire?

What about carrying a legal big game caliber during hunting season? Let say I am going to hunt Whitetails with my 10mm. Can I continue to carry this loaded 10mm on my person and in my vehicle after I leave the woods. Or must It be cased and unloaded while in possession of a "Hunting" license?

Thanks
Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:54 am
Posts: 2444
Location: West Central MN
In MN your 40 now IS a legal deer gun. I finished a deer with my carry gun last fall. Carry away.

And you don't need to unload it and case it to ride in a vehicle.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:17 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:09 am
Posts: 1060
Location: Savage, MN
Welcome to the TCC forum!

A hunting license does not trump your carry permit. The only exception is for bow hunting. You can't carry a pistol if you're bow hunting for deer. You can if you bow hunting for bear.

Also, the caliber requirements were relaxed quite a bit to the point where now you can take deer with anything from 0.22 caliber or larger, as long as it's centerfire.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:13 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:39 pm
Posts: 533
Location: Mankato Area
Quote:
Can I continue to carry this loaded 10mm on my person and in my vehicle after I leave the woods. Or must It be cased and unloaded while in possession of a "Hunting" license?


You didn't say if you have a permit to carry a pistol. You can carry the handgun in the car loaded if you have a carry permit.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 am
Posts: 10
Location: United States
Dee wrote:

You didn't say if you have a permit to carry a pistol. You can carry the handgun in the car loaded if you have a carry permit.


I have a carry permit, sorry I left that out.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:03 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Bloomington
steve4102 wrote:
What about carrying a legal big game caliber during hunting season? Let say I am going to hunt Whitetails with my 10mm. Can I continue to carry this loaded 10mm on my person and in my vehicle after I leave the woods. Or must It be cased and unloaded while in possession of a "Hunting" license?

Thanks
Steve


We are working on eliminating the cased and unloaded nonsense right now.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11475


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm 
Member

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Saint Louis Park, MN
Man... I'm not a bow hunter, but if I were, I'm not sure I could give up carrying a concealed pistol. I know what the laws (or are they just DNR rules?) are, and that they're in place to add to the "sport", but there are things out there that plain don't care about laws/rules.

Just because I'm hunting dear, doesn't mean I wouldn't stumble across a bear, wolf, or large cat.. or possibly a mobile meth lab or some other criminal activity.. and have no other means to defend myself except a bow and arrow.

I guess I don't feel as confident in my marksmanship on something which is charging at me fast versus something that is stationary and possibly unaware of my presence. Bow hunters? How do you feel about this?


Last edited by catchall on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 am
Posts: 10
Location: United States
Mosin wrote:

We are working on eliminating the cased and unloaded nonsense right now.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11475


Yeah, I read that too. Only thing is that this bill clearly states that uncased guns must be unloaded and have empty mags. The only thing that will change is the need for a case.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:57 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Bloomington
catchall wrote:
Man... I'm not a bow hunter, but if I were, I'm not sure I could give up carrying a concealed pistol. I know what the laws (or are they just DNR rules?) are, and that they're in place to add to the "sport", but there are things out there that plain don't care about laws/rules.

Just because I'm hunting dear, doesn't mean I wouldn't stumble across a bear, wolf, or large cat.. or possibly a mobile meth lab or some other criminal activity.. and have no other means to defend myself except a bow and arrow.

I guess I don't feel as confident in my marksmanship on something this is charging at me fast versus something that is stationary and possibly unaware of my presences. Bow hunters? How do you feel about this?


I agree 100%. Once you accept the argument that people have a right to personal protection. It makes no sense to say they don't have that right in certain places.

As another note. All of the DNRs rules are directly tied to legislation. They simply summarize them in the hunting, fishing, boating, regs books.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:00 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Bloomington
steve4102 wrote:
Mosin wrote:

We are working on eliminating the cased and unloaded nonsense right now.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11475


Yeah, I read that too. Only thing is that this bill clearly states that uncased guns must be unloaded and have empty mags. The only thing that will change is the need for a case.


Actually that has been misrepresented by the media. The bill in it's current form clearly states

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls86

Image

Not to say that won't change but this is it's current form.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:30 am 
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:12 am
Posts: 9
Mosin wrote:
steve4102 wrote:
Mosin wrote:

We are working on eliminating the cased and unloaded nonsense right now.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11475


Yeah, I read that too. Only thing is that this bill clearly states that uncased guns must be unloaded and have empty mags. The only thing that will change is the need for a case.


Actually that has been misrepresented by the media. The bill in it's current form clearly states

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls86

Image

Not to say that won't change but this is it's current form.


I carry a S&W 442 in a pocket holster when hunting. I started after that tragedy in Wisconsin. Short range pistols are better then a stick.
I would not carry a heavy handgun, as I already have enough to lug around.
Regarding the proposed law about long guns uncased, I don't like it.
Shotgun racks used in the city? For what purpose? AK in the front seat with a loaded mag laying next to it. For what purpose?
When I was a boy, my father taught me the fine art of illegal road hunting. I can only see this practice encouraged with adaption of the new law.

_________________
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 am 
The Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 7970
Location: Minneapolis MN
elmerfuddem wrote:
When I was a boy, my father taught me the fine art of illegal road hunting. I can only see this practice encouraged with adaption of the new law.
Do those states that don't require casing have more problem with illegal road hunting than those that do? My guess is that they don't, but if they do, that should be fairly easy to demonstrate; if they don't, then why put people to any trouble at all for no benefit?

It's not like we don't already have laws on the books against illegal road hunting, after all.

_________________
Just a guy.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Carry/Hunting?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:33 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:09 am
Posts: 1060
Location: Savage, MN
elmerfuddem wrote:
Regarding the proposed law about long guns uncased, I don't like it.
Shotgun racks used in the city? For what purpose? AK in the front seat with a loaded mag laying next to it. For what purpose?
When I was a boy, my father taught me the fine art of illegal road hunting. I can only see this practice encouraged with adaption of the new law.


The nice thing about this law is that it does allow you to case your long guns if you so desire. I like that.

The question I have to ask you, is...when has a requirement to be cased EVER stopped a crime? If someone is going to spray down a playground with an AK-47, why would a simple thing like a law requiring it to be cased stop them? It won't.

If I'm about about to commit a crime such as illegally road hunting, why would a case requirement stop? It wouldn't.

This is not about crime as criminals don't care about this law.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Bloomington
If the casing bill passes, another thing that will happen is individual counties will be able to pass their own laws restricting casing. I'm confident Hennepin will be one of the first.

However, if Kittson, Cook, Rock, etc want to allow uncased long guns, they will now be able to do it.

This may create a lot of confusion at first. But it will also create competition. If 2 counties out west have different casing laws, but the same pheasant populations, I'll hunt where I don't have to case/uncase every time I'm in and out of the truck. I'll eat, buy ammo and lodge in that same county.

I'm in favor of any law becoming more local where your voice can be heard and pros/cons can be seen out you lawmakers windows.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:43 pm 
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:12 am
Posts: 9
Mosin wrote:
If the casing bill passes, another thing that will happen is individual counties will be able to pass their own laws restricting casing. I'm confident Hennepin will be one of the first.

However, if Kittson, Cook, Rock, etc want to allow uncased long guns, they will now be able to do it.

This may create a lot of confusion at first. But it will also create competition. If 2 counties out west have different casing laws, but the same pheasant populations, I'll hunt where I don't have to case/uncase every time I'm in and out of the truck. I'll eat, buy ammo and lodge in that same county.

I'm in favor of any law becoming more local where your voice can be heard and pros/cons can be seen out you lawmakers windows.


I still want to understand what purpose this proposed law is supposed to accomplish.

I want to know how having a a county no case allowed law would make hunting easier? I am not saying your wrong, I just don't understand.
I hunted South Dakota many years ago. They had no gun case law, except for deer.
Regarding putting the long gun in a case, that is my personal preference. I don't want gun oil inside the car, I don't want a gum wrapper getting down the barrel or in the action. Guns go in the holster or the case. Period.
But, to each his own.
Regarding stopping bad guys, when have any laws stopped them?
I personally see allowing no cases creating more problems then solving.
One comes to mind, is seeing that shotgun you have laying on the back seat while your dining. The blanket covering it has slipped. Smash window, grab gun.
How about the officer who pulls you over, and he see's a gun in the car. Everything may be legal, we all may be good guys, but does the cop know this? I just don't like it.

_________________
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group