Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Cuffed and Stuffed for Open Carry 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
Maybe we should ask the gay community to start open-carrying.
Hmm. I wonder if Pink Pistols as a group have an opinion on open carry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

sheepdog wrote:

I hope you are referring to firearms! :shock:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:35 pm 
Journeyman Member

When I lived in Roseville I used to open carry every day on my way to and from work. Only once did I have anyone say anything about it when I stopped for coffee at Super America.

One morning I was stopped for speeding on my way to work by SPPD while having my gun sitting out in the open in my truck. I handed the officer my DL and my permit and told him where the gun was (since it was visible if he looked). He just looked at me and said "OK, that's fine". Wrote me my speeding ticket and sent me on my way. No muss, no fuss.

I still do it occasionally where I live now in Woodbury. The only person who has ever said anything to me about it was one of the guys that works at Ace Hardware. He wanted to know how I liked my XD because he was thinking of buying one. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:

Been done.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthstarGLBTgunclub/

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:30 pm 

I guess I wonder why anyone would want to open carry. I myself rather like to blend in with the crowds. Don't want to attract attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 pm 
The Man

beeger wrote:
I guess I wonder why anyone would want to open carry. I myself rather like to blend in with the crowds. Don't want to attract attention.
It's an utterly fair question, but it's been discussed, and discussed, and discussed . . . etc. here. Search around; you'll read all sorts of thoughtful opinions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 am 
Raving Moderate

joelr wrote:
beeger wrote:
It's an utterly fair question, but it's been discussed, and discussed, and discussed . . . etc. here. Search around; you'll read all sorts of thoughtful opinions.

Maybe we need (as per another forum I occasionally hang out on) a "Dead Horses" section for the OC question (and a few others) to reside... :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:38 am 
The Man

I dunno. I don't mind new folks bringing up stuff that some of us others have discussed until hoarse, but it shouldn't be a surprise when the geezer faction doesn't leap to put another saddle on that hoarse (hee hee) and try to ride it around some.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll dare flog a dead horse, I'm sure Andrew will have a few words to say as well. The following was stolen from the Moderator on GlockTalk known as RussP (very much an open carry/carry advocate).

RussP wrote:
You, yes you, maybe shouldn't open carry!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, OC is NOT for everyone. Most, probably, should not open carry. Some are iffy.

Why?

Some do not feel comfortable carrying exposed. Makes sense. There are times and places I feel the same way.

Some know and understand the tactical element of surprise and do not want to give that up. "You won't know I have it until your actions cause me to use my firearm, not show, not draw - use." I agree.

Some believe an openly carried firearm puts a target on their forehead/COM/back a bad guy will see and shoot them first. Well, since no one knows of documented cases of this happening, none have been posted on Glock Talk, this is a perception of what could happen. I do not disagree that their are bad guys out there who want nothing more than to kill. Someone with a firearm is a bonus. They get to kill and keep the prize.
Some of us can avoid places where that would more probably happen. Some cannot. To open carry there would be a very poor choice.
And remember, what was a safer place yesterday may not be today. Bad guys do move around to more lucrative target areas.

Some people are not comfortable answering, "Why are you carrying a GUN?" They should conceal.

Some people do not have the temperament to answer, "Why are you carrying a GUN?" They come back with, "It's none of your "expletive" business!" They should conceal, and conceal well.

Some people do not want to be labeled/called a 2nd Amendment gun toting activist. They should not open carry.
They should practice their activism with their letters, calls, emails to those who make the laws and rules that infringe on our Right to Carry, and in response to Letters to the Editor, Editorials, and opinion pieces in print and on the Internet.

Some people believe if they are seen carrying a firearm everyone will think they are trying to make a political statement. They should not open carry.

Some people believe if they open carry it will intimidate/scare people and they do not want to do that. They should not open carry.

Some people believe if they open carry it will intimidate/scare others and cause them to call the police even though no law is being violated. They do not want to talk to the police for whatever reason. They should not open carry.

Some people believe or live in areas where open carry draws the attention of law enforcement. They want to avoid that. They should not open carry.

Did I miss anyone who should not open carry?
Congratulations! Choosing to carry for your personal protection is a good choice. Choosing open carry, welllllll....

If you open carry, here are some thoughts of mine...

If you open carry because you want to show off your barbecue pistol, your ultra-custom holster/belt/mag carrier, save those for the social gathering of fellow firearm aficionados. Few others will notice, and those that do may just think it is gaudy. Carry concealed.

If you open carry because you think it enhances your manhood, carry concealed. I don't think carrying even a Buntline Special will help you.

If you need a pistol on your hip to show everyone you're the Alpha Male, carry concealed. You're not on Animal Kingdom

If you think a pistol on your hip in plain view provides a force field of protection, scares away evil people, that is a dangerous mindset. Carry concealed.

If you open carry to make a political statement, and you are on GT asking, "Can I carry here - or there," carry concealed until you know your laws better than anyone.

If you open carry in areas and locations where you will certainly draw attention to provoke law enforcement, to test their knowledge of the law and you then feel bad when you are ignored, conceal carry. You're intentionally trolling for trouble.

When you wake in the morning, strap on the ol' pistol and secretly hope someone notices and makes a big deal about it, your mindset is wrong. Go ahead and conceal the pistol.

There are more, "If you open carry because....carry concealed." That's enough for now.

If you open carry, remember, you are representing every other American who carries.

Think before you open carry. If you can relate to any of the categories I mentioned, re-think your decision.

Look in the mirror, actually look in a mirror. Ask yourself, "Why am I open carrying?" Don't try and BS yourself. You know the real answer.
Ever hear the expression, "First impressions are everything"? If you open carry, your appearance and demeanor will influence how someone reacts to seeing that humongous cannon on your hip.

Think like this. If you saw yourself carrying, would "you" elevate your alert status? Would "you" make yourself nervous? If the answer is maybe or yes, something needs to change, doesn't it. Maybe you should carry concealed!
Okay, what about those who open carry because the law says it is the only way to legally carry?

There is no law against open carry. The law says the age for possession of a firearm is less than the age for concealed carry. Open carry is the only option. Respect the Right you have. Carry responsibly The consequences could be horrendous. You are representing the rest of us. Don't screw it up.

Here in Virginia, we cannot conceal carry in restaurants serving alcohol. That is how I started open carrying. For me, there is no other option.
Now, what about those who open carry just because they can and it fits their lifestyle. They have no agenda. It's comfortable and fits into the norms of their communities. Enjoy!
Then there are those who open carry just when and where appropriate. They have no agenda. They carry where allowed by law. They carry discretely. They dress so as not to draw attention. They project confidence, not arrogance. They smile and nod when passing people. They don't lock eyeballs with every person they pass. They are curteous. They show respect to those around them. They open carry.

They answer questions about their choice to carry simply and calmly. They may talk about how they came by their decision, if asked.

They are not flustered by animated opposition to their carrying. They do not insult those challenging them remembering others may be watching. Rational behavior trumps

You will not read about these people on the internet or in the news.

Well, not unless some ignorant individuals or those with an agenda create a problem as in the OP.

Since there are many, many open carry social gatherings monthly, and only a couple make the news, these events involve only a small minority of the carrying public. Why are not more of the open carry gatherings in the news? Because nothing unusual occurs.
What about those who do go out looking for confrontations? They go out of their way to draw attention to themselves. They are arrested, on purpose.

These individuals have their following. I am not among them.
As to "open carry hurts 'the cause'", open carry is part of the cause. It is more important in states where there are no laws preventing it.

Again, open carry is not for everyone and some should not open carry.

These are just my thoughts and observations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here's a blog and discussion of RussP's regarding Why You Open Carry: http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=15

And here's some unspoken rules to follow when OC'ing:

Originally Posted by TheEggman
Quote:
Don't look like a hood or a gang member.

Polite, polite, polite.

Don't 'Mexican' carry.

Retention holster, please.

Don't be/act/look nervous, O.C. is perfectly legal. (In VA at least)

Respect the property rights of others. They have every right to ask you to leave, just as you have every right to spend your money elsewhere, and let them know why you are doing it.

If you want to complain, write a scathing letter, tear it up and then write another more 'composed' and well-thought out one. Post it on a board like this one or opencarry.org for opinions BEFORE you send it. (You'll get plenty)

Did I mention Polite?

Take every 'encounter' as an opportunity to educate and leave the other person with a 'gee, that was a really nice guy/gal feeling when possible.

A Desert Eagle or 7" shiny revolver will draw more negative attention than an ugly black gun.

The fact is, most people don't even seem to notice O.C. and many who do just assume you are L.E.

Did I mention Polite?

I'd say you draw more flies with honey than vinegar, but who the heck wants to draw flies? (Unless they're a frog)

Stay safe and be careful out there.

And of course only OC when and where appropriate.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm 

I'm with beeger above. I'd rather folks not know I'm armed, just another face in the crowd. Especially in the city, I prefer not to attract attention.

But that's just my personal style, I'd not be alarmed by a holstered pistol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Open carry is a right we have IF you choose to use it.

You can debate and complain all you want saying open carry is wrong, dumb etc etc.

The only opinion that matters is what a individual permit holder thinks about open carry.

It's his/her choice. Doesn't matter what others think.

Support the right, whether you choose to open carry or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:31 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
Support the right, whether you choose to open carry or not.

+1 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 am 
Raving Moderate

joelr wrote:
I dunno. I don't mind new folks bringing up stuff that some of us others have discussed until hoarse, but it shouldn't be a surprise when the geezer faction doesn't leap to put another saddle on that hoarse (hee hee) and try to ride it around some.

Horrible, Joel. Horrible.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 am 
The Man

I'm ashamed.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.