Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Cuffed and Stuffed for Open Carry 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Timothy Nelson wrote:
After the law has been in effect for so long, I find it hard to believe that certain departments ACTUALLY DO NOT know the law... rather, they choose to interpret the law how they see fit, after all, what is a hassled permit holder going to do about it? Can't make them receive the information (provided they need it in the first place.)

I can't recall who was doing the testifying at the time, but last year when HF498 was receiving a committee hearing, someone*...a police chief perhaps, was joking around that sometime even his cops couldn't keep track of what was and wasn't a felony. Given that, it's not surprising that they don't know the intricacies of the the state carry law.

* ETA: It was Doug Johnson, Washington County Attorney’s Office; Minnesota County Attorneys Association

Last edited by Lenny7 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Binky .357 wrote:
Oh, and, welcome to the forum.
Yeah, that, too.

I'm not going to quibble with cops checking out a PERGUN call, honest. I don't know what the Anoka County dispatch folks heard, or said -- although I am curious. And, depending on what the cops heard and/or saw and/or thought they heard and saw, up until the undereducated fine, professional law enforcer started giving out an ignorant, arrogant, and factually inaccurate lecture on the law, I'm not at all sure he was wrong.

After that, well, I am.

I'll give you a call in a little bit, I did some digging. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 pm 
The Man

I'll wait as patiently as possible. Which isn't much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
Charged you with what?

Stampeeding sheep..........le. :wink:

Welcome to the forum! 8)

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Incident Narrative 1
Quote:
ANON REPORT OF A MALE WEARING A GREEN MOUNTAIN DEW T SHIRT AND SHORTS WHO HAD A GUN
IN A HOLSTER INSIDE LOI ARRIVED INITIALLY DID NOT LOCATE THE MALE AS I WAS ABOUT TO LEAVE I
OBSERVED A MALE MATCHING THE DESCRIPTION GIVEN WALKING IN THE PARKING LOT OF LOI I
STOPPED THE MALE AND DETAINED HIM AT GUNPOINT MALE LATER IDENTIFIED BY MN PHOTO DL AS
AAS HAD A BLACK HANDGUN IN A HOLSTER ON HIS RIGHT HIP IN FULL VIEW GUN WAS REMOVED AND
MADE SAFE I HANDCUFFED A A S DOUBLE LOCKCHECKED FOR TIGHTNESS CHECKED HIM FOR
ADDITIONAL WEAPONS AND DETAINED HIM IN MY SQUAD A A S HAS A VALID PERMIT TO CARRY AA S
WAS CLEAR WARRANTS A A S WAS RELEASED AT THE SCENE AND GIVEN HIS GUN BACK I ADVISED
AA S THAT IT WASA REALLY BAD IDEA TO CARRY HIS WEAPON IN FULL VIEW OF EVERYONE IN A PUBLIC
PLACE I ALSO ADVISED HIM THAT IF CARRYING THE GUN IN THE OPEN CAUSED A LARGE PANIC IE
WALKING INTO A BANK HE COULD POSSIBLY BE CHARGED WITH A CRIME AA S STATED HE
UNDERSTOOD BUT THAT HE WOULD PROBABLY CONTINUE TO CARRY IT THISWAY CLEAR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:53 pm 

Someone who's going to rob a bank, shoot someone or cause violent harm isn't going to transport the gun out in the open in a holster.

WTF. Just doesn't make sense to me. :roll:

Common sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:58 pm 
The Man

mnglocker wrote:
Incident Narrative 1
Quote:
ANON REPORT OF A MALE WEARING A GREEN MOUNTAIN DEW T SHIRT AND SHORTS WHO HAD A GUN
IN A HOLSTER INSIDE LOI ARRIVED INITIALLY DID NOT LOCATE THE MALE AS I WAS ABOUT TO LEAVE I
OBSERVED A MALE MATCHING THE DESCRIPTION GIVEN WALKING IN THE PARKING LOT OF LOI I
STOPPED THE MALE AND DETAINED HIM AT GUNPOINT MALE LATER IDENTIFIED BY MN PHOTO DL AS
AAS HAD A BLACK HANDGUN IN A HOLSTER ON HIS RIGHT HIP IN FULL VIEW GUN WAS REMOVED AND
MADE SAFE I HANDCUFFED A A S DOUBLE LOCKCHECKED FOR TIGHTNESS CHECKED HIM FOR
ADDITIONAL WEAPONS AND DETAINED HIM IN MY SQUAD A A S HAS A VALID PERMIT TO CARRY AA S
WAS CLEAR WARRANTS A A S WAS RELEASED AT THE SCENE AND GIVEN HIS GUN BACK I ADVISED
AA S THAT IT WASA REALLY BAD IDEA TO CARRY HIS WEAPON IN FULL VIEW OF EVERYONE IN A PUBLIC
PLACE I ALSO ADVISED HIM THAT IF CARRYING THE GUN IN THE OPEN CAUSED A LARGE PANIC IE
WALKING INTO A BANK HE COULD POSSIBLY BE CHARGED WITH A CRIME AA S STATED HE
UNDERSTOOD BUT THAT HE WOULD PROBABLY CONTINUE TO CARRY IT THISWAY CLEAR
Hmmm... somebody seems to have left out the part about giving ignorant, arrogant, and factually inaccurate legal information on open carry, but learned better.

Unfortunate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm 

Example:

Call-in: "We got a hot one, an open carrier!"

Response: "...............That's legal"

To A A S: "Oh.... Sorry"

Something like that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Timothy Nelson wrote:
Example:

Call-in: "We got a hot one, an open carrier!"

Response: "...............That's legal"

To A A S: "Oh.... Sorry"

Something like that.

I spoke with the person in charge at Anoka County Dispatch. She said the caller said the gun was holstered so they didn't bother asking whether or not he was shooting or threatening people.

Apparently Anoka County knows to ask that if the caller doesn't mention where or what the MWAG is doing. This falls on CRPD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:08 pm 
The Man

Yup. Chief Wells needs to do better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 pm 

So, another OC incident. In short, the facts are: a) the OCer did absolutely nothing wrong and was within the bounds of the law and behaving reasonably, b) people were scared, c) cops came and behaved poorly.

The officer responding and his outfit do indeed need a large infusion of clue. No one has called "fool" on a cop responding alone to a MWAG call (c.f. rule 1b of gunfighting). Either he had a going-in assumption that the call was bogus or he was a fool. But I digress.

Experience has shown that b) and c) follow along behind a) about as surely as pregnancy follows unprotected sex. Which is to say, not every time, but predictably often, and if you do it enough, it's a sure thing.

I have two questions. 1) For Madrevar. Was it worth it?

2) For everyone else. Were the overall goals of the carry movement furthered or set back by this incident?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
2) For everyone else. Were the overall goals of the carry movement furthered or set back by this incident?

I don't think this incident did good or bad for the carry movement. Nobody learned a thing but the responding LEO's, and they shouldn't have had to learn it on the spot.

If the CRPD takes up an offer to recieve some training regarding MN's carry law, this will have been a forward movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:09 pm 
On time out

Mostly, I think he has the right to do as he pleases. asking him if it was worth it is senseless.

what does it do for "our side" well, an officer got Pwned pretty badly, and he had to walk back and apologize for being ignorant of the law, and hot headed besides. NOW all of the officers who were involved, and probably involved in the shift, now know that OC is legal. It's a protected activity, and getting hot about it will not get them far. I am sure that had one iota of extra force been used, our OP would be planning a nice vacation to someplace warm courtesy of the taxpayers of CR. I am very sure that the whole PD learned that lesson very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wearing shorts, T shirt & Sandals in March?? Hmmmm Sumtin isn't right here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
Wearing shorts, T shirt & Sandals in March?? Hmmmm Sumtin isn't right here
Yup. But weather-inappropriate fashion choices are not a police matter.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.