Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Cuffed and Stuffed for Open Carry 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
JimC wrote:
Wearing shorts, T shirt & Sandals in March?? Hmmmm Sumtin isn't right here
Yup. But weather-inappropriate fashion choices are not a police matter.

And for that matter while talking to dispatch she commmented on how all the kids that day were wearing shorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

So, what date was this? It would be interesting to see if there is an incident report.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:03 pm 

According to the original post it is dated 03-02 in the message.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
So, what date was this? It would be interesting to see if there is an incident report.....

Look back a few posts: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... =15#139804

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Guess I missed page 2 :roll: sorry about that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:47 pm 

joelr wrote:
JimC wrote:
Wearing shorts, T shirt & Sandals in March?? Hmmmm Sumtin isn't right here
Yup. But weather-inappropriate fashion choices are not a police matter.

Hi Joel,

I don't know if I totally agree with that... one of the things that are noted in psyc incidents are inappropriate clothing based on the weather. Granted, that was in no way related to this incident, but (incidentally) it can be something that police haul you to acute psyc for ;)

MADFI Instructor #16, Minnesota Personal Protection Instructors (MNPPI) Instructor #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Define inappropriate in a Minnesota spring. Lots of people where shorts as soon as the temperature goes above freezing.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

My brother wears sandals or tennis shoes and shorts just about all year 'round. :?

I could be wearin' my "mickey's and Carhartts" and still be cold and then look at my brother and think................"Psycho"............. :?

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:17 pm 

Hell, there's one guy who runs in the snow barefoot... granted it is for a charity... but seeing that down your street. What would you think?

*it was on the news*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Inappropriate clothing is a well recognized symptom of many psycological or personality disorders. People who know, notice those things.

Heavy coats and stocking gaps in the summer, T shirts in the middle of winter, unzipped jackets etc. Not illegal but a policeman would notice that. It's like appearing disoriented or ill.

Not illegal, but unusual enough to a welfare check on the person.

Here there are summer clothes, open carry of a surplus weapon in a heavy leather holster. It might be somebody enjoying the hell out of his constitutional rights, or, it could be someone on the verge of a breakdown.

But although that might support a stop, and further investigation, this cop stopped the person at gunpoint and made rude and improper comments, so, it was not really a welfare check. It was just a rude cop excercising his prejudices, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:43 pm 

Dick Unger wrote:
Inappropriate clothing is a well recognized symptom of many psycological or personality disorders. People who know, notice those things.

Heavy coats and stocking gaps in the summer, T shirts in the middle of winter, unzipped jackets etc. Not illegal but a policeman would notice that. It's like appearing disoriented or ill.

Not illegal, but unusual enough to a welfare check on the person.

Here there are summer clothes, open carry of a surplus weapon in a heavy leather holster. It might be somebody enjoying the hell out of his constitutional rights, or, it could be someone on the verge of a breakdown.

But although that might support a stop, and further investigation, this cop stopped the person at gunpoint and made rude and improper comments, so, it was not really a welfare check. It was just a rude cop excercising his prejudices, I think.

Thanks Dick. Better phrased than I put it.

While the clothing is not in itself an "illegal" issue, it is a warning sign. In this case, the police actions were not appropriate.

If they did select him for additional questioning based on the dress for MN February/March, I cannot fault them for it.

MADFI Instructor #16, Minnesota Personal Protection Instructors (MNPPI) Instructor #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 pm 

Even though I'm not a big fan of OC, this kind of behaviour by public servants really aggravates the piss outta me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Heavy coats and stocking gaps in the summer, T shirts in the middle of winter, unzipped jackets etc.

Lots of kids wear stocking caps year around. I see a lot of young kids with T shirts on in the winter. I also notice many, many young girls don't zip their jackets. It can be freezing cold and windy and the kids are shivvering but they have the jacket unzipped. It used to bug the hell out of me but now I hardly even notice.
I think its a sign of what the kids think is fashionable and not that there is something wrong with them.

Last edited by Dee on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I tend to think it was a mildly-good thing for the carry community. The CRPD will now know how to handle it in the future, and hopefully anyone else involved (or gawkers) will have seen the OP being set free and the whole thing resolved. It sounds like the way the OP handled himself was a + for all of us too. He was calm, rational, and didn't put up a fight: just the kind of guy we need the public to see.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 pm 

PocketProtector642 wrote:
I tend to think it was a mildly-good thing for the carry community. The CRPD will now know how to handle it in the future, and hopefully anyone else involved (or gawkers) will have seen the OP being set free and the whole thing resolved. It sounds like the way the OP handled himself was a + for all of us too. He was calm, rational, and didn't put up a fight: just the kind of guy we need the public to see.

+1

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.