Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Capital Notification: I got a call on receipt. 
 Post subject: Capital Notification: I got a call on receipt.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:01 pm 

I did some minor editing of at least one capital notification form letter before I sent it in on Monday. I got a call back today in regards to:

"Please consider this letter as the statutorily required notification securing for me the exemption specified in Minnesota Statutes section 609.66, subdivision 1g (b)(2) from the prohibition on possession of a pistol and ammunition in "any state building within the capitol area" and in "any courthouse complex" in the counties indicated above. "

Perhaps in my editing I changed/omitted something important. The head of capital security(that lady who keeps getting mentioned as professional around here and who's name escapes me) said that they had gotten a couple recently and were concerned that the senders thought that they could carry in county courthouses using that same notification. In closing she also stated that if they chose to put magnetometers in place that permit holders could not carry past those.

Post subject: Re: Captical Notification: I got a call on receipt.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

mitchx3 wrote:
if they chose to put magnetometers in place that permit holders could not carry past those.

Excuse me? where in state law does it say that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

mitchx3 wrote:
Perhaps in my editing I changed/omitted something important. The head of capital security(that lady who keeps getting mentioned as professional around here and who's name escapes me) said that they had gotten a couple recently and were concerned that the senders thought that they could carry in county courthouses using that same notification.

It's my understanding that if I want to carry in a Dakota County Courthouse I need to notify the Dakota County Sheriff, and Anoka County Sheriff to carry in Anoka County Courthouses. A single letter to the Capitol isn't going to cover the entire state.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 pm 
Wise Elder

kecker wrote:
A single letter to the Capitol isn't going to cover the entire state.

Correct. But you can write one letter with multiple addressees and send a copy to the sheriff in every county that you care about. That is what my standard form does for the 7-county Metro area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:46 pm 

Has anyone gotten a nasty-gram back from the Dakota or other county sheriff about carrying in a courthouse?

Just curious.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am 

kecker wrote:
It's my understanding that if I want to carry in a Dakota County Courthouse I need to notify the Dakota County Sheriff, and Anoka County Sheriff to carry in Anoka County Courthouses. A single letter to the Capitol isn't going to cover the entire state.

Keep in mind that there are court orders in place that will keep you from carrying in many county's court houses. Is it legal? Probably not. Others can speak to that better than I can, but the fact of the matter is that if you were arrested for contempt of court, you're going to be pleading your case in front of a judge.

Once again, one of those fun test cases...

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:34 am 
The Man

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Has anyone gotten a nasty-gram back from the Dakota or other county sheriff about carrying in a courthouse?

Just curious.
I wouldn't say that they were nasty, but the Metro area sheriffs I've sent notice to have sent back letters explaining their own theories about the law, and the judges' orders.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 pm 

Does anyone know which counties currently have such court orders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 am 
First-time poster

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Does anyone know which counties currently have such court orders?

I received notification of a court order back from Olmsted county (Rochester), delivered via cert mail so they had a record/signature.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:
kecker wrote:

Keep in mind that there are court orders in place that will keep you from carrying in many county's court houses. Is it legal? Probably not. Others can speak to that better than I can, but the fact of the matter is that if you were arrested for contempt of court, you're going to be pleading your case in front of a judge.

Once again, one of those fun test cases...

Nothing like legislating from the bench. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rip Van Winkle wrote:

Just curious.

I got nothing and I live/work/carry in Dakota County. I've sent in my letter informing them of intent to carry and such. And I am routinely at the Apple Valley Dakota County courthouse complex for meetings at the library, where I carry.

So...I'm curious what this letter said??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.