Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lake Phalen attacks 
 Post subject: Lake Phalen attacks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 am 
Journeyman Member

http://www.startribune.com/local/421984 ... DCinchO7DU

I walk around Como regularly, and Phalen occasionally. Sounds like I need to leave one earbud from the iPod loose, so I can hear these folks sneaking up on me.

630 on the west side of the lake is pretty bold, there's two parking lots, the beach center and houses right across the street on the southwest side, and it wasn't even dark yet. I'd be willing to bet this happened in the area just south of the boat launch, plenty of woodsy trails for a quick getaway for your urban opportunist.

Sooner or later these guys are going to hit someone who's got a pistol in their pocket, and the story will turn out much differently.

Post subject: Re: Lake Phalen attacks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Drizzle wrote:
Sounds like I need to leave one earbud from the iPod loose, so I can hear these folks sneaking up on me.

Always. Your hearing is your best, most effective early warning device. Long(relatively) range and effectively 360 degree coverage. Jogging or walking with an iPod in any sort of semi-secluded area is asking to be mugged, or worse.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Drizzle wrote:
Sounds like I need to leave one earbud from the iPod loose, so I can hear these folks sneaking up on me.

Seriously, I'd say both. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:11 pm 

chances would be good that the runner had both earbuds in...doesn't make it okay to attack...just saying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:10 am 
Longtime Regular

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
The concealed carry badge stuff has been split off to its own thread.

viewtopic.php?t=12344

- Forum Management

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Drizzle wrote:

Seriously, I'd say both. :roll:

At some point, you need to make decisions about what pleasures in life you are willing to sacrifice to be safe. If you really like listening to your ipod while jogging, listen to it. It may not be worth it to you to sacrifice everything you like to give you the "upper edge". With that kind of thinking we would all be stuck in our houses with metal bars on our windows.

Its a personal choice. I dont choose to wear my ipod while walking around, but I dont have bars on my windows either.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Notice the news article give no description of who did the attacking. What does the suspect LOOK LIKE for crying-out-loud? Let’s not give potential victims any kind of advantage by telling readers a good description.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 pm 

havegunjoe wrote:
Notice the news article give no description of who did the attacking. What does the suspect LOOK LIKE for crying-out-loud? Let’s not give potential victims any kind of advantage by telling readers a good description.

The RedStar originally posted that info but yanked it. The Pioneer Press posted it and left it. See here:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142985

BB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Drizzle wrote:

+1 On pulling the plug completely. I regularly run my dog next to my bike, and, when on the paths, always call my approach. On a regular basis, despite my alert, I startle the poo out of people as I pass. Inevitably, they have a bug up their ear! I have personally revised the color codes as follows.

Condition Red: Ready to fight
Condition Orange: High state of alertness
Condition Yellow: Relaxed state of heightened alertness
Condition White: Not aware or alert.
Condition iPod: Deliberate attempt to shut yourself off from your surrondings and minimize awareness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:40 am 

maybe the police should plant some joggers around the lake, but exchange their iPods for some of those "hearing boosters" instead and be ready for these thugs instead!

could likely use the iPod earbuds to keep the "easy target" appearance!
As often as these attacks seem to be happening lately, it would only take a few evening shifts to maybe make a huge difference and to certainly make a point!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:46 am 
Longtime Regular

anti-gun Co-worker: "And seriously, it's not like you could carry a GUN while jogging anyway. Where would you PUT it?"

Me: Do you have a walkman case and a decoy pair of earphones?
She: Yes, but why?

Me: Nevermind :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 am 
Raving Moderate

plblark wrote:
anti-gun Co-worker: "And seriously, it's not like you could carry a GUN while jogging anyway. Where would you PUT it?"

Me: Do you have a walkman case and a decoy pair of earphones?
She: Yes, but why?

Me: Nevermind :-)

Nice... :D

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:46 am 

This is probably an old question, but how does one go about carrying while wearing typical exercise clothing? I've been wondering as summer approaches.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a water bottle holder with a spot for a wallet or walkman ... The LCP fits in there. I've also been known to use Smart Carry or a web belt under the shorts with a baggy shirt. Depends on what you're doing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.