Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I have been lurking. 
 Post subject: I have been lurking.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:37 am 

I have been lurking at this forum for while researching whether to get my permit to carry. Let me tell you I live in central MN, Had a permit to carry for work purpose (armed courier). This past winter local convenient store robbed at gun point with a discharge into one cooler went to the Sheriffs’ office to pick up application stopped one of the deputies and asked getting this permit allows me to carry concealed or open right? His response was not sure he didn’t think so; he didn’t like the law to many guns out there. But is your right to carry if you have it. Now I knew the answer from looking at different places but it does make me leery of open carry if he thinks you cannot? Now a couple of questions.

· Where is the best class at and cost I have a couple of friends interested in getting there permits also not to mention possible my wife attending!

· Is there any way to tell which county has issued the most permits? I know that they can’t give the info out about a person but it would be interesting to see which county has the most people able to carry.

· What is anyone using for a SA XD .40 holsters using both conceal and open as I will probably due both? Just purchased it and love it but just not with any holsters yet.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Post subject: Re: I have been lurking.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:50 am 
Longtime Regular

RollingOnMedia wrote:
Where is the best class at and cost I have a couple of friends interested in getting there permits also not to mention possible my wife attending!

There are a lot of instructors on this board. The diplomatic answer, so I can stay friends with all of them is I would say you wouldn't go wrong with most any of them. With the number of people you are talking about, I'd bet most of them would set up a class that fits your schedule.

That said, the guy who runs this forum Joelr deserves special consideration since it is his forum.

RollingOnMedia wrote:
Is there any way to tell which county has issued the most permits? I know that they can’t give the info out about a person but it would be interesting to see which county has the most people able to carry.

That information is around here somewhere, but odds are it's Hennepin county because Hennepin county simply has more people in total. A more interesting question is which county has the most permit holders per capita. That is a simple math question, but you have to do the math for each and every county and is a pain in the ass to collect all that data. Go for it. I'm rooting for you.

RollingOnMedia wrote:
What is anyone using for a SA XD .40 holsters using both conceal and open as I will probably due both? Just purchased it and love it but just not with any holsters yet.

The XD's are very popular and there are many great holsters available. Again, that said, be sure to look up forum member Srigs who makes some dandy and practical holsters.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:05 am 

Thanks what I forgot to mention on the class was in central MN most of the classes here are in the metro 2hr. away oneway.?

Last edited by RollingOnMedia on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Here is the last report from the state on permits by county, among other things:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Doc ... Report.pdf

As for choosing the best instructor for you...it depends. :) I would say, "me, of course!"

Seriously, if you are close to the Twin Cities, you have dozens of choices. If you are near Mankato, not so many. Prices of quality classes range from $75 to $185.

Give us a little more detail, and we can do the same!

Post subject: Re: I have been lurking.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 am 

DeanC wrote:
RollingOnMedia wrote:
Where is the best class at and cost I have a couple of friends interested in getting there permits also not to mention possible my wife attending!

There are a lot of instructors on this board. The diplomatic answer, so I can stay friends with all of them is I would say you wouldn't go wrong with most any of them. With the number of people you are talking about, I'd bet most of them would set up a class that fits your schedule.

That said, the guy who runs this forum Joelr deserves special consideration since it is his forum.

RollingOnMedia wrote:
Is there any way to tell which county has issued the most permits? I know that they can’t give the info out about a person but it would be interesting to see which county has the most people able to carry.

That information is around here somewhere, but odds are it's Hennepin county because Hennepin county simply has more people in total. A more interesting question is which county has the most permit holders per capita. That is a simple math question, but you have to do the math for each and every county and is a pain in the ass to collect all that data. Go for it. I'm rooting for you.

RollingOnMedia wrote:
What is anyone using for a SA XD .40 holsters using both conceal and open as I will probably due both? Just purchased it and love it but just not with any holsters yet.

The XD's are very popular and there are many great holsters available. Again, that said, be sure to look up forum member Srigs who makes some dandy and practical holsters.

+1 on Srigs. I had Eric make me a IWB clip holster for my 3" XD40, and it's beautiful. Comfortable, easily concealable, very reasonable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Still, I bet if you could get say 6 people together, the instructor would be willing to come to you if you can provide a location.

I'm sure you'll have some PM's coming soon. Also check the forum section here on upcoming classes.

I think phorvick does classes in the middle the state.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

I would would be the best instructor for you. Just ask me. :lol: :wink: Joel, Joe, Jason, Andrew, Rick, Paul or others may do an adequate job for you though. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 am 

Don't be afraid of the drive to get quality instruction. Make a day of it, especially if your wife and friends are going. Plan on learning more than your brain can handle, taking home great resources (like JoelR's book), and getting to shoot with your friends while having good mentoring.

Use the force, Luke. I mean RollingOnMedia :wink:

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, I travel...so do others (I am in the Fergus Falls/DetLks area); Jerry at the Carry Depot (jerry45 on this forum is in Alexandria; check the DPS website...I am sure there is someone in your area....

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:28 am 

Andrew thanks for that link I found it interesting that the ages for males in my county between 40-60 had the most permits issued. I live out west by Willmar MN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 am 

BTW, I forgot to say... Hello!

If you've been lurking you've seen the information can be overwhelming on this site.
Always good hearted humor, a little ribbing, and some very serious discussions. Welcome aboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am 
The Man

Lessee... the issues around open carry get a lot of play around here; you'll find all sorts of opinions, except one:

That it's unlawful, in Minnesota, for somebody with a carry permit. That's because it isn't unlawful.

As to who to take a class from, I'm going to get a little prickly here and contradict Dean. No, TCCarry shouldn't get special consideration because I own the Forum; it should, maybe, because I do a pretty good job. That said, I am at the high end (and, IMHO, worth it, but, then again, I would think so). You'll find lots of good recommendations here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

OK - well maybe not "special" consideration, but should not be excluded from the list.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 am 
Longtime Regular

RollingOnMedia wrote:
Andrew thanks for that link I found it interesting that the ages for males in my county between 40-60 had the most permits issued. I live out west by Willmar MN.

I'm not 2 hours away, more like an hour, but I'll be hosting a class on May 30th in Watertown & Delano. 8)

Btw, welcome aboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:

If you were a little more specific about your location (central MN is a little vague), we could tell you what is available in your area. There are many good instructors who offer a decent class. If there are any questionable instructors, they won't be recommended by anyone here.

I would also suggest that if you're serious, that you look into it as soon as possible. Since the election, classes have been booked up months ahead, at least in the Mankato area. Several of my friends were unable to take classes when they wanted to.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.