Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Open Carry and the Little "CCW Badge" 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:46 pm 

That is not what I'm saying. I said specifically that it is not my intention to appear as LE. I simply described what I would "Assume" given the same circumstances. I'm not on a power trip, I don't want to be confused with law enforcement, and probably won't. However If I want to have my firearm exposed, and don't want to have to deal with the police being called, and wasting my time verifying my constitutional right to bear arms. I doubt I'll ever even need to have the badge exposed. If a situation arises as it did in the previous situation, I could simply pull the badge out of my pocket and show my badge to the questioning person. I just want something that in a confrontation looks a little more professional than a card I could have made in 20 minutes at kinkos. In someone's eyes that does not know about the permit to carry law(s) a simple here's my badge with the state seal on it and my permit number may be enough by itself to prohibit questioning minds about my legitimacy. What would you recommend I do in this situation? Show my card with my personal information on it? Challenge them, and tell them to go ahead and call the police? I was able to defuse the last situation because I reacted to her concerns with a calm understanding her concerns attitude. This will be my first approach in any situation. However if a small crowd that is eyeballing me telling me I can't be in the bank with my firearm, I can't guarantee that I've removed doubt from all observers minds. This to me seems like a non-intrusive way of providing the legitimacy. It's not like I would just show the badge and let them assume I would show the badge and tell them I have my permit to carry.

I agree with you on the disguising of the cash bags. That's something I had not thought about, and will look into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 pm 

I still want the entire suit made out of badges. No way anyone would see a gun with all that reflective material.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

loan_god_1 wrote:
What would you recommend I do in this situation?

Don't carry openly next time
Find a different bank in a safer neighborhood
As mentioned, disguise the cash (like in a briefcase handcuffed to your arm - lmao kidding)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:06 pm 

Wow, Came on here for advice. I was not looking for smart a** answers. Thank you to those who took me seeking advise seriously. I appreciate your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Perhaps I ought to introduce myself ... I am a carry permit instructor and I know I cover this in my class. Well, ok, not this specific scenario for sure, but the badges. It's usually a laugh line and an easy subject.

We're not cops. We cover it under the section of what our carry permit Isn't. It ISN'T a badge of any kind. I sure hope that sounds familiar . I approved your membership so had a chance to go back and put e-mail address together with roster and know you took your class from me.

I'm GLAD you asked this question. You have my card and my e-mail and phone number. I welcome your questions there or here. I encourage you to do so here, elsewhere, publicly, or privately. Asking these types of questions of good, knowledgable, responsible people will get you good answers with an outside perspective.

I can see the thought process. It looks like you're trying to construct a scenario where this thing is justified and a legitimate tactic. It could work 99 times out of 100. It's that last 1 where it could go bad that we're all worried about.

Much better option is to be aware, not look like a victim (disguised money, change times, routes, location) etc... If going to that bank is so shady or uncomfortable that you feel it's important to let the rest of the world see you have a gun to warn them off, I would posit that it falls under someplace you wouldn't go without the gun. You know ... Don't go there. If you wouldn't go without the gun, don't go at all.

Gimme a call but above all else, keep thinking, keep asking, keep listening, keep learning. We've all had questions we needed answered, and we all genuinely like to help educate each other.

Best of luck and stay safe. (The badge is still a terrible idea)
Paul Blincow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Did you read the thread from the beginning?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:13 pm 

Thanks I'll shoot you an email.

Last edited by loan_god_1 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

LOL it works great when I am hunting traffic cones. I sneak right in amongst them.

(And yes, I am in a smartass mood. Joel's plaintive cry only fed that fire)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:17 pm 
The Man

loan_god_1 wrote:
Wow, Came on here for advice. I was not looking for smart a** answers.
It's okay to use the word "smartass" here. Trust me. Read the rules, and all.

But, yeah, you weren't. You found them anyway.

Sheesh. I already had one of these conversations today. A friend asked me, "Can I ask you a question about putting a wireless network in my home?"

"Sure," I said. "Mind if I give you the answer to the question first?"

"Huh? Oh. Sure."

"It's 'don't bother. It'll be fine.'" An hour later, after a discussion about WEP and firewalls and sharing and such, we got back to, "Don't bother. It'll be fine."

This is kind of like that. The whole issue of carry permit badges has been discussed, over and over again, here. It's okay for you walk in, with the shine not yet off your bran' new carry permit, stand up on a soapbox and to put forward your own theory about the shiny new badge you just ordered, and then, new guy that you are, stand prepared to bow humbly and bask in the collective approval . . .

. . . but was that really the way to bet?

Okay; fine. You got off to a rocky start here. You're not the first. Consider using this as a learning experience and hanging around to learn some more. It's a simple plan, but it just might work.

Last edited by joelr on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 pm 

ha ha, will do.

DeanC nice response. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:33 pm 

You would all be proud to know I just canceled my badge order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you have a sense of humor, you'll do fine here. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

loan_god_1 wrote:

Aww, might have made a nice souvenir.

It would be fun to show off at at an EFFIN Breakfast or lunch or picnic. (see the events section).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

loan_god_1 wrote:

I am very proud of this site. That you just saved, what, $65 or $70 in ammo money? That's just gravy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:24 pm 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
loan_god_1 wrote:

Aww, might have made a nice souvenir.

Yeah, I want one, for that kind of purpose -- plus mockery; I'm just not willing to do business, even indirectly, with the poltroons who sell them.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.