Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Catching someone breaking into your car at home? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

JonL wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
There's an easy way to get the cops there faster, while talking to dispatch, clamly tell them that "it's okay, I've got my .45 and a shovel". You'll think those crown vics have warp drive.

...And then get a chance to learn what "making terroristic threats" means. :(
8)

That's no threat, I'm just stating my inventory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 am 
Longtime Regular

This day and age though, they are handing out that felony to anybody they don't want to have a gun & guess who that includes. While that law is on the books, we have to be very, very careful about what we say. It is the easiest way for them to take our rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:24 pm 

Macx wrote:
This day and age though, they are handing out that felony to anybody they don't want to have a gun & guess who that includes. While that law is on the books, we have to be very, very careful about what we say. It is the easiest way for them to take our rights.

+1. Thanks-- my point exactly. I don't take it as a terroristic threat but I think there's a real danger that the 911 operator, your friendly neighborhood LEO, and the local city/county attorney might. Stay loose, stay free. :wink:
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 am 
Journeyman Member

i think turning on the outside lights is one of the best deterrents. if you can take a video or at least use the digital camera to get closeups of plates or faces that is good enough.
don't leave the house, just sit back enjoy the pictures and wait for the cops. it is not worth the money, time in court or name in papers for something insurance will cover - even with a high deductible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:56 pm 

Go down to J & S Custom Guns and check out the Surefire behind the counter. 2400 candle power and $4200.00. I didn't even ask to see it way out of my price range. You could really light them up though. Someone help please I can't remember the model number. I couldn't find on Surefire website either. I wonder if I still the old catalog with the HID light(if I recall correctly)

Call 911 & wait.

I think some of these issues came up during ht e discussion of the Castle Doctrine law. Seems like some of the people that oppse the law say you already have the right to defend but leave it very vague on what their definition is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 am 
Journeyman Member

good thought on flashlight. pick up one of those 2 million candlepower rechargable spotlights - they cost less then 50 bucks. if they can light up the trees on the otherside of a 40 acre field you could stun or temporarily blind someone in your driveway. you might need to wear sunglasses at night if you use it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:05 pm 
On time out

I found an effective method when I lived in chicago area, I had an alarm that was a radio put in, I would carry this little doohicky and if someone was trying to get in my car it would screech.

I had two false alarms from people leaning on the car, or someone tapping it while parking, then I got another one, and I ran down stairs and hear was a set of brown legs sticking out the door as this fine urban yut' was trying to reallocate ownership of my pioneer car stereo. I simply slammed the car door on his shins. five or six times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:18 pm 

1911fan wrote:
I simply slammed the car door on his shins. five or six times.

That's just too funny. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:39 pm 
Journeyman Member

I hope you had a mid 70's or earlier full-size 2-door.

Although five or six slams might have taken off his legs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

mnglocker wrote:
JonL wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
There's an easy way to get the cops there faster, while talking to dispatch, clamly tell them that "it's okay, I've got my .45 and a shovel". You'll think those crown vics have warp drive.

...And then get a chance to learn what "making terroristic threats" means. :(
8)

That's no threat, I'm just stating my inventory.

I love the "inventory"! Although I think I am a firm believer in call 911, open nearest window, and kindly inform the misguided individual that the police are on the way and they should kindly vacate the premises. I would really love to open window, remove screen, and unload about 40 paintballs on their dumba**! I would of course want to videotape the reaction and possible soiling of pants. However I see too many ways this could turn out poorly (assault charges, perp returns fire with real weapon).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:13 am 
Journeyman Member

What is your objective?

If it is to stop the robbery and get the guy to flee, dial 911, turn on an outside light, and yell to him the cops are coming.

If you want him caught and prosecuted, call 911 then get the camera/video cam and start recording.

In no event would I go outside to arrest him before the cops get there. I would, however, have one or more firearms handy in case he tries to take stuff out of the house, too.

Remember the guy in Texas who went out after being on 911 for a while because he wasn't going to allow them to steal his neighbor's stuff? Killed both robbers, and was eventually acquitted but your results may vary. He very well could have ended up in prison for life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 am 
First-time poster

I think the idea of using a flashlight is a good one. I have been having some similar problems in my neighborhood and so I just purchased a flashlight to use as a deterrent. My only difference is that the flashlight I just bought is 20 million candle power and has an effective range of 1,000 yards. I figure you can cook bacon with this monster at 100 feet.

Black and Decker VEC192 20 Million Power Series 3335 Lumens Spotlight

I also simultaneously use a Falcon compressed air signal horn (sports horn) it boasts that its noise is at the "extreme danger" level.

Post subject: Re: Catching someone breaking into your car at home?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm 

Doc wrote:
I am not sure if this is in the right section so feel free to move it if not!

I was going to bed the other night and going over a scenario that had already happened to me at my home once before. When it happened I was actually in the living room at home about midnight watching tv when I heard my girlfriends car alarm going off. Right now both of our cars are parked outside because I have a project car in the garage.
I thought it was kind of strange that her alarm was going off so I grabbed her keys and ran outside to find nothing while I shut off the alarm. The next morning I went outside to go to work and when I got into my truck I had noticed that someone had broken in and destroyed everything in there. All compartments were opened and papers were all over the place. I finally realized that when I heard my girlfriends alarm going off that someone had actually bumped her car to set the alarm off. They must have been looking for money or something of value cause there was nothing missing. I don't keep anthing in there of any value for that reason except my CD player which I really don't care about anyways. I could not believe that this happend, I live in a newly constructed town home development and everyone around me is quite older than we are. We do live about 3 to 4 blocks away from a government center and jail house, I thought that maybe someone got let out and was looking for some quick cash!
Anyways to shorten this up, I was going over the same scenario in my head after I heard some noises outside my garage last night. My question is, If I looked out my window and seen someone going through my truck again what are the laws on drawing my gun on the thiefs and holding them at gun point until the LEO showed up! What are my options in a situation like this! I would not want to have to do this but if it did happen again I want to know what options I have! Thanks!

You might want to read what happened to me...

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=9819

I would suggest calling the police, bringing mace, or something else with you before even thinking about using a gun.

How much is your car worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:10 am 

i had a some what similar situation years ago, i lived up north in the beltrami area, and if you are any where near bemidji it can be a very dangerous area.
just to give a little personal history

1 friend stabbed 14 times with pencils when he was walking to the gas station, we found him behind the gas station (alive)

1 friend stabbed through the hand with a screw driver apperently because he did not have a lighter for the guy

i and 3 friends were run off the road one night by two cars and held for about 30 minutes at gunpoint by the occupents of those 2 cars as they explaned what they were planning to do to us, whe we got through with that we went to the police department told the officers on duty what just happend and the plate numbers, the reaction was " oh i know those guys, (officer gets on phone and calls them) " i heard you had some trouble with a few white boys tonight, how many times do i have to tell you, you cant be doing this stuff" and of course nothing came of it as they were just out drinking having some fun...... :shock: :roll:

a friend of my best friends mother was grabbed while out on her morning Jog raped by a couple of men and then killed

anyways, in light of these things i was of the tendency not to risk much when it came to my personal safety
one night after having a few problems at my home with some individuals who did not behave themselves, then refusing to leave when asked and told,(we did get them to leave, it was not pretty but they did go) i was a bit more aware and less trusting

so i was watching movies one night in the summer and was going to bed late ( around 3 am) and just as i got into bed a set of lights came down the driveway so i was out of bed in a flash, saw that it was no one i knew and i was out on the deck with my tursty crossman air-15 real looking ecough pellet gun b=made to resemble an ar15 (all other guns were at my friends house as i did not want any body getting into them at a party that we had there the day before) well the lights coming on and a man in his skivies with what looked like an ar15 was enough for that truck to back down my driveway fasther then i had ever seen anyone go down it forward.

i will tell you this much with what had gone on there in recent memory, and with what had happened with a few individuals the night before i was scarred, and i feel lucky to this day my bluff worked

by the way the air gun was never pointed it was just there so they could see the profile clear as day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Wow man, that is quite a list.

I know it is Friday Morning QBing, but, gunsafes and keeping friends/ children out of them are really handy and pretty darn cheap if you just go for the locking metal cabinet style. The idea of taking everything but an airrifle out of the house gives me the hebiegeebies.

I didn't have one before I had my first child and now that I have a gunsafe, the carry piece de jour is the only thing outside it. If I were inclined to impair my common sense, the carry piece can go in there too. Gunsafes are a wonderful thing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.