Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Getting a permit from Florida 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:47 pm 

Good news. I overestimated the amount of traffic I would have to deal with and therefore overestimated the drive time. I also was wrong about the car return time. I reread the document and it was scheduled to be returned at 11:40 AM. I haven't a clue how I got that mixed up.

Anyways, once I got to Bloomington and had 2 hours left, I headed out to Burnsville and got there about 30 minutes before they opened. It was then that I discovered that I had free XM radio on the rental car. lol. So I sat listening to XM radio until they opened, and got a copy of the book.

joelr wrote:
Yup. They were out, yesterday, but we fixed that.

Good thing too. Otherwise, I would have gotten burned in Burnsville. lol

Now to start reading your book (and thanks for writing it). :)

Now, honestly, I need a solid recommendation for a place where I can go to take the course. I prefer a one on one setting where I can ask as many questions as I feel I need to ask without feeling like I'm annoying the rest of a class. No class = no problem. Also, I think this would need to be in a setting where I can complete any range portion right then and there.

Also, would using a Lasermax unit for the range portion be considered cheating? I've got them on most of my carry guns and figure I might as well use it if the gun I bring to the course has it.

Lastly, I'm sure I'll read the answer in the book but I'm going to just jump in and ask - is a Minnesota permit tied to a particular gun (number of guns, model of gun, etc)? For example, do you get licensed to carry 1 gun and that's the only gun you can legally carry? In Florida there is no such issue, you can pretty much carry whatever you can conceal. I think I've heard of some states that have that, but I could be mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

LawGuy wrote:
Good news. I overestimated the amount of traffic I would have to deal with and therefore overestimated the drive time. I also was wrong about the car return time. I reread the document and it was scheduled to be returned at 11:40 AM. I haven't a clue how I got that mixed up.

Anyways, once I got to Bloomington and had 2 hours left, I headed out to Burnsville and got there about 30 minutes before they opened. It was then that I discovered that I had free XM radio on the rental car. lol. So I sat listening to XM radio until they opened, and got a copy of the book.

joelr wrote:

Now, honestly, I need a solid recommendation for a place where I can go to take the course. I prefer a one on one setting where I can ask as many questions as I feel I need to ask without feeling like I'm annoying the rest of a class. No class = no problem. Also, I think this would need to be in a setting where I can complete any range portion right then and there.

Also, jwould using a Lasermax unit for the range portion be considered cheating? I've got them on most of my carry guns and figure I might as well use it if the gun I bring to the course has it.

Well,, getting a one-on-one class may be problematic ...but I am sure some instructor will chime in that they will do it! (Hey...I will do it do....but....you don't want to visit the NW part of the State I suspect!)

There are many excellent instructors here. Joel also does classes...he wrote the book...might make some sense to contact him. I think (other than myself) there may be another lawyer or two that also does the classes....you may (or may not!) like that approach given your current career path!

Welcome to MN

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 pm 

phorvick wrote:
LawGuy wrote:

joelr wrote:

Also, jwould using a Lasermax unit for the range portion be considered cheating? I've got them on most of my carry guns and figure I might as well use it if the gun I bring to the course has it.

Well,, getting a one-on-one class may be problematic ...but I am sure some instructor will chime in that they will do it! (Hey...I will do it do....but....you don't want to visit the NW part of the State I suspect!)

There are many excellent instructors here. Joel also does classes...he wrote the book...might make some sense to contact him. I think (other than myself) there may be another lawyer or two that also does the classes....you may (or may not!) like that approach given your current career path!

Welcome to MN

I would definitely like to have the class taught by an attorney, either currently practicing or retired.

If they happen to practice criminal law, that would be even better. I don't think I get to take any criminal law classes until my second year unfortunately.

Also, if the one on one thing is a real problem, I'm not set on it 100%. I did a one on one down here in Florida because I knew I'd have a lot of questions. I may not need it as much now that I've been carrying for a few years and pretty much know the drill (metaphorically speaking) for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:17 pm 
The Man

Criminal defense lawyers who teach MN carry classes -- or, at least, are certified to -- include Marc Berris, Brian Toder, and David Gross. There may be others that I don't know about.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:53 pm 

Cool. Thanks Joelr. :)

Any of them in the Twin Cities general area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:20 pm 
The Man

LawGuy wrote:
Cool. Thanks Joelr. :)

Any of them in the Twin Cities general area?
Marc and Brian are; David's about 45 minutes away, but he's [worth the | a ] trip. They are also, btw, three of the four lawyers whose numbers are on the card I give out in my classes. Phorvick is also a (retired) attorney; I don't know what his crimlaw background, if any, is -- much to my embarrassment.

While Joe Olson's crimlaw practice credentials have some dust on them -- he's been a law professor since just after the Cretaceous -- I know he's done both prosecution, and defense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:59 pm 

I've been talking to Paul via PM.

How can I get in touch with Marc or Brian?

Thanks for all the help. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.