Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Do I Need A Permit? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:11 am 
Wise Elder

PocketProtector642 wrote:
Seems to me that OC is legal in MN.

Absolutely not.

OC is only allowed in Minnesota IF you have valid carry permit (which allows carry "on or about your person or clothes").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Subd. 9. Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice. A permit to carry is not required of a person:

(a) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;

I'm sure we're talking differences in OC. OC as in the case of the original discussion here (on his property) is specifically legal and does NOT require a permit. OC out and about ... that's "Carry" and it's covered by the Carry laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Quote:
Subd. 9. Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice. A permit to carry is not required of a person:

(a) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;

I'm sure we're talking differences in OC. OC as in the case of the original discussion here (on his property) is specifically legal and does NOT require a permit. OC out and about ... that's "Carry" and it's covered by the Carry laws.

Correct, and it's good that Kimberman jumped in. I think we were all assuming the OP's situation of on his property, but I see that it could have been misconstrued the other way far too easily.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Part of me is a little glad that someone is willing to put forth the time, finances and potential harm (physical, mental, emotional, reputation, etc) to establish case law. After all we bitch all the time about how something is not established case law, so having someone willing to make at least one part established sounds nice.

Yet another part of me is cringing and thinking "this won't end well".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 pm 

I will add some more info to my scenario. My situation is a little more than just a desire to carry for unexpected situations. I have a brother in law that has been hiding from the law and living in France for the past 15 years. He is a full blown nut case drug addict. Both of his parents have recently died. Since their deaths, he has called me several times telling me that he is coming home to collect what is his(money) and he is going to kill my wife, my children and myself.

I have filed the worthless retraining order against him and that is a far as the law will go. So, I carry a handgun. Now I am told that if the Local PD gets a call that I am carrying, I 'm going to jail and will be prosecuted on sum trumped up charge.
Isn't this a great State we live in? Man am I proud to me a Minnesotan.

BTW< I talked to my high school buddy JJ Gradishar about this. He gave me the name of a lawyer to call, but said I would be pertty much waisting my time and money until the shit really hit the fan, but by then it is too late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

steve4102 wrote:
So, I carry a handgun. Now I am told that if the Local PD gets a call that I am carrying, I 'm going to jail and will be prosecuted on sum trumped up charge.

Who told you that? :?

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:42 am 

Hunter07 wrote:
steve4102 wrote:
So, I carry a handgun. Now I am told that if the Local PD gets a call that I am carrying, I 'm going to jail and will be prosecuted on sum trumped up charge.

Posts, 2,3 13 and 14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:20 am 
The Man

steve4102 wrote:
Hunter07 wrote:
steve4102 wrote:

Posts, 2,3 13 and 14.
I think you're confusing "may" -- which you've definitely been told, because that sort of thing has happened -- with "will."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a carry permit, and I've open carried around the Twin Cities metro for five years.

The very worst that has happened is that once, a very nice pair of Minnetonka officers asked to see my permit card and ID. They then gave me my cards back, gave my kids stickers, and we all went on with our evenings.

I can't guarantee that nothing bad will happen, but I think the fears are overblown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Are you older than 21? If this is the case, why not just get your permit to carry?

ETA: I just reread the first post and found that he does already have a carry permit. Guess I don't see the issue. It's your yard, just don't be threatening anyone while you do your yard work.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 am 
Poet Laureate

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I have a carry permit, and I've open carried around the Twin Cities metro for five years.

The very worst that has happened is that once, a very nice pair of Minnetonka officers asked to see my permit card and ID. They then gave me my cards back, gave my kids stickers, and we all went on with our evenings.

I can't guarantee that nothing bad will happen, but I think the fears are overblown.

+1
What he said.
If you're too afraid to excersize your rights you have already lost them. It doesn't matter one whit what any law or constitution says on the matter.

Give it a go. You will be surprised when the sky doesn't fall, and you'll begin to enjoy the feeling of being just a bit more free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I think I'm going to OC once I get out of work today. Just because I can.

Granted, I'm headed to the range, so I don't think I'll raise a lot of eyebrows... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:02 am 

Carbide Insert wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

+1
What he said.
If you're too afraid to excersize your rights you have already lost them. It doesn't matter one whit what any law or constitution says on the matter.

Give it a go. You will be surprised when the sky doesn't fall, and you'll begin to enjoy the feeling of being just a bit more free.

Tru Dat! I was afraid and paranoid for about an hour when I first carried. Now...in the words of Stewie Griffin, "I feel right Brian, I feel right."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:11 pm 

Maybe you shouldn't open carry... Just take all your guns out in the front yard and start cleaning them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:59 pm 

mrokern wrote:

You're right. Problem is, they can still arrest you and make you go through the legal hassles (and cost you money and time in the process), along with holding on to your gun for a VERY long time. :evil: :evil: :evil:

-Mark

Is there anyone on this forum who only has *one* carry weapon?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.