Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Good attorneys? 
 Post subject: Good attorneys?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:35 pm 

Hi, new to the forum. Just went through training last week for the multi-state CCW permit. One of the things discussed was if we ever had to legally shoot someone in self defense, that we let the police know that we're willing to cooperate, but that we want to speak through an attorney, ie, bite our tongues until we've received legal advice. I pray that I'm never placed in this situation, but should it ever happen, does anyone have any suggestions for local (MSP) attorneys specializing in self-defense issues? Thought it might a good idea to know in advance who to call, should the need ever arise.

Post subject: Re: Good attorneys?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

josh2415 wrote:
Hi, new to the forum. Just went through training last week for the multi-state CCW permit. One of the things discussed was if we ever had to legally shoot someone in self defense, that we let the police know that we're willing to cooperate, but that we want to speak through an attorney, ie, bite our tongues until we've received legal advice. I pray that I'm never placed in this situation, but should it ever happen, does anyone have any suggestions for local (MSP) attorneys specializing in self-defense issues? Thought it might a good idea to know in advance who to call, should the need ever arise.

Marc Berris

www.berrislaw.com

You might want to check out the search function, this issue has been covered many times, as recently as a couple of days ago.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 pm 

jac714 wrote:

Marc Berris

www.berrislaw.com

You might want to check out the search function, this issue has been covered many times, as recently as a couple of days ago.

Thanks. I had looked actually, but didn't find what I was looking for (I can never find stuff in the refrigerator either). ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:13 pm 
The Man

josh2415 wrote:
Sure. Obvious question: what instructor told you you needed attorneys' numbers, but didn't bother to give you any?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm 

joelr wrote:
Obvious question: what instructor told you you needed attorneys' numbers, but didn't bother to give you any?

A competitor, no less.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

josh2415 wrote:
joelr wrote:
Obvious question: what instructor told you you needed attorneys' numbers, but didn't bother to give you any?

A competitor, no less.

Many of the folks around here who teach hand out cards in class...it's not required, but is a good idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:28 pm 
The Man

josh2415 wrote:
joelr wrote:

A competitor, no less.
Any particular reason why he or she needs to remain anonymous? (Most of my competitors do have that pretty basic riff down, far as I know, btw.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:29 pm 
The Man

mrokern wrote:
josh2415 wrote:
joelr wrote:

A competitor, no less.

Many of the folks around here who teach hand out cards in class...it's not required, but is a good idea.
Definitely not required, but a pretty basic part of doing it right. ETA: the giving out numbers part; printing them on a card isn't necessary, although quite a few do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:45 pm 

mrokern wrote:

Agreed, it would have been good to have received this info in class, however, there is SO MUCH material to cover in one day that I can totally understand how minor details could be missed.

There's a chance too that it was included in the information packet that I received (but haven't taken the time to look through thoroughly).

Last edited by josh2415 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

josh2415 wrote:
mrokern wrote:

Agreed, it would have been good to have received this info in class, however, there is SO MUCH material to cover in one day that I can totally understand how minor details could be missed.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, and please realize that I'm in no way coming down on your head with this post.

With all due respect, it is the instructor's job to NOT miss minor details.

Granted, the attorney's numbers aren't required, so they can't be considered a missed detail (technically). When it comes to the required material, a missed detail can do students a grave disservice.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:11 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

The issue is arguably not very minor, as well.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:13 pm 

mrokern wrote:
Welcome to the forum, by the way, and please realize that I'm in no way coming down on your head with this post.

With all due respect, it is the instructor's job to NOT miss minor details.

Granted, the attorney's numbers aren't required, so they can't be considered a missed detail (technically). When it comes to the required material, a missed detail can do students a grave disservice.

-Mark

As I mentioned in my last post (which I edited), there's a chance that the info was in the packet that I received, but haven't taken the time to look through thoroughly.

While I have the ear of instructors, also with all due respect, a class such as this which prepares individuals for safe and legal handgun carry/use should be more than a just a crash course. In the same way that cramming for an exam the night before is an ineffective way to learn class material, to be done right, I would think that this material should be presented over SEVERAL days, if not weeks. Life and death hang in the balance, potentially.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 pm 
The Man

josh2415 wrote:
As I mentioned in my last post (which I edited), there's a chance that the info was in the packet that I received, but haven't taken the time to look through thoroughly. .
Sure. Did you miss the part where he (or she) explained which attorneys were being recommended, and why?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:40 pm 

joelr wrote:
Sure. Did you miss the part where he (or she) explained which attorneys were being recommended, and why?

Pretty sure that it wasn't discussed. However, I had been sitting in class for about 5 hours by that point, so there's a chance that I was in data overload and missed it. Don't think so though.

Thank you for the service that this forum provides, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 pm 
The Man

You're kinda sorta welcome, but the Forum isn't intended to be aftermarket support for inadequate carry permit instructors, although, certainly, some folks have tried to use it that way.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.