Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Getting a permit from Florida 
 Post subject: Getting a permit from Florida
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:03 pm 

I will soon be a resident of Minneapolis, MN. In fact, I'll be up your way next week apartment hunting.

I have a Florida resident carry permit, but obviously things will need to change. I have a few questions:

1) I assume once I move, I will need to notify the Florida Dept of Agriculture (licensing) that I am no longer a resident and need my permit to be reissued as non-resident.

2) Does my Florida permit help me at all in getting a Minnesota permit to carry? I notice on the website for getting an application it mentions (on the topic of whether training must take place in Minnesota):
Quote:
No. You are only required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards.

3) If not, any ideas as to whereabouts in Florida I can get training recognized by the state of Minnesota to be valid for a permit?

4) I realize I must first be a resident of the county I will be living to apply for a resident permit. I will be in Hennepin county. How long do I have to live there for me to officially be a resident of that county for purposes of getting a permit?

5) How is the Hennepin County Sheriff when it comes to permits to carry?

6) What the heck is this "criminal gang investigation system"?... and is it something I need to be concerned about? I've never been in a gang, but I don't know if it ever spits out false positives for similar names or whatnot.

Lastly, I'll be a student over at the U of M law school this fall. My guess is that campus carry is illegal.... but I'm not 100% sure. Am I correct?

I think that's all the questions I have for the moment. Thanks a lot guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:16 pm 
On time out

first off, welcome to minnesota,

second, there are four counties that are very close together at the metro area, and its easy to live in one of the four and still make it to the U,

Hennepin is the least friendly but its still not bad only that they will take the full 30 days to process, then mail, the others seem to have a better track record.

as to the other questions. others more versed in the technicalities of the law will chime in, and one, Kimberman, is one of the people who actually wrote the law that was passed, it has several benefits over most states permits, and he is the MAN when it comes to how and why things are applied and why they were written that way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Check your PM's....

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

1911fan wrote:
first off, welcome to minnesota,

second, there are four counties that are very close together at the metro area, and its easy to live in one of the four and still make it to the U,

Hennepin is the least friendly but its still not bad only that they will take the full 30 days to process, then mail, the others seem to have a better track record.

as to the other questions. others more versed in the technicalities of the law will chime in, and one, Kimberman, is one of the people who actually wrote the law that was passed, it has several benefits over most states permits, and he is the MAN when it comes to how and why things are applied and why they were written that way...

You won't find many people who agree that Hennepin is the "least friendly"; Ramsey (St. Paul and its suburbs) has a well earned reputation of being very unfriendly...much much more so than Hennepin. In fact. I would not call Hennepin unfriendly at all. Slow to issue? Sure. Bogus denials and harassment? No.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Getting a permit from Florida
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

LawGuy wrote:
I will soon be a resident of Minneapolis, MN. In fact, I'll be up your way next week apartment hunting.

I have a Florida resident carry permit, but obviously things will need to change. I have a few questions:

1) I assume once I move, I will need to notify the Florida Dept of Agriculture (licensing) that I am no longer a resident and need my permit to be reissued as non-resident.

FL issues permits, not a special non-resident. Probably makes sense to get it updated though

2) Does my Florida permit help me at all in getting a Minnesota permit to carry? I notice on the website for getting an application it mentions (on the topic of whether training must take place in Minnesota):
Quote:
No. You are only required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards.

Sorry, FL permit has no cachet in MN.

3) If not, any ideas as to whereabouts in Florida I can get training recognized by the state of Minnesota to be valid for a permit?

Probably no where in FL. (But, a Utah permit is honored in MN...and that should be an easy "get" in FL)

4) I realize I must first be a resident of the county I will be living to apply for a resident permit. I will be in Hennepin county. How long do I have to live there for me to officially be a resident of that county for purposes of getting a permit?

1 day?? I don't believe there is any time frame (MN does issue to non-residents after all); Kimberman can correct, but I would assume presence with intent to stay (perhaps lease...utility receipt etc) would show residency...but who cares? You can get a permit in MN whether you are a resident or not....just not an issue.

5) How is the Hennepin County Sheriff when it comes to permits to carry?

Fine. Slow, but fine.

6) What the heck is this "criminal gang investigation system"?... and is it something I need to be concerned about? I've never been in a gang, but I don't know if it ever spits out false positives for similar names or whatnot.

Nothing to see here or worry about. Move on!

Lastly, I'll be a student over at the U of M law school this fall. My guess is that campus carry is illegal.... but I'm not 100% sure. Am I correct?

Sort of. I assume that the campus has, for students, a no-firearms policy as a condition of your enrollment. But, I (not a student) could carry there.

I think that's all the questions I have for the moment. Thanks a lot guys.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:58 pm 

Quote:

Hmmm... I think I'll be living in Hennepin County. I guess I'm not 100% sure. I need to find a county limit map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:01 pm 

If you are not a resident of Minnesota, you can apply with the sheriff of any county you choose. Minnesota only issues one kind of permit -- there's no such thing as a "resident" or "nonresident" permit, only the application rules differ.

While the Utah permits are valid here and training is available nationwide, they take longer to issue than Minnesota permits, so you may be better off getting the Minnesota one as soon as you are able.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:09 pm 

Oh really? There is no "resident" vs "non-resident" permit difference?

Interesting.

Also, I'm stumped. I'm pretty sure I'll be living in Hennepin county, but just to check, is the downtown and uptown areas of Minneapolis within Hennepin? I tried finding the apt complexes I'm visiting next week on a Hennepin county map, but I can't make out what is what.... you guys have way too many lakes for me to make sense of a map. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

LawGuy wrote:
Oh really? There is no "resident" vs "non-resident" permit difference?

Interesting.

Also, I'm stumped. I'm pretty sure I'll be living in Hennepin county, but just to check, is the downtown and uptown areas of Minneapolis within Hennepin? I tried finding the apt complexes I'm visiting next week on a Hennepin county map, but I can't make out what is what.... you guys have way too many lakes for me to make sense of a map. lol

All Minneapolis is Hennepin (including downtown and uptown). If you get into St. Paul, you're in Ramsey.

And I'll second phorvick. Hennepin isn't unfriendly, just slow. Ramsey is known for being permit-unfriendly.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you can squeeze in a carry class during your visit, you can apply the next day, using your Florida address. Within 30 days or so, you'll have your permit mailed to Florida. When you get an address here, just notify the issuing sheriff of your change of address.

My organization has more than 60 instructors in Minnesota; we should be able to find a class to fit your schedule. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 am 

Uptown...best girlwatching between Chicago & Denver. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:22 am 
The Man

Yup; what they all said. If you manage to get in a permit class while you're up here visiting, you can apply in Washington County -- fast service, and lower fees than anywhere else in the Metro.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:49 am 

if you are a student, it would be against U of M policy to carry on campus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:52 am 
Longtime Regular

LawGuy wrote:

There is no state law that I am aware of, but there is school policy against it. Can you risk being kicked out?

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am 
Poet Laureate

PocketProtector642 wrote:
There is no state law that I am aware of, but there is school policy against it. Can you risk being kicked out?

:roll:

Can you risk getting dead?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.