Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 River Jurisdiction 
Author Message
 Post subject: River Jurisdiction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 373
Minnesota and Wisconsin borders are clearly defined on navigational maps, as well as by the states themselves. Even though this is true, both states exercise concurrent jurisdiction of the waterway.

(Edit: IGNORE THIS)
<s>From my understanding, a Minnesota resident can carry a firearm on the river if they have a permit. The only condition is that they can not stand on the Wisconsin shore.

A Wisconsin resident could not carry a firearm, even if he had a Minnesota permit because they fall under Wisconsin's jurisdiction as a resident.</s>

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/sta ... &year=2008


Last edited by gyrfalcon on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 1743
Location: Lakeville
Please check this thread: Mississippi River


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:35 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:53 am
Posts: 725
Location: New Ulm area
I asked the same question in this thread.

_________________
The only downfall to a 1911A1, is actually a plus: You can have it your way, and can put an unreal amount of money into em'.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 am
Posts: 61
Location: NE mpls MN
If I remember correctly back a few years whern I worked for the St. Croix Co. Wis. sherriffs dept we wrote citations anywhere on the river and the Washington co. Mn. boat did the same

John


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:53 am
Posts: 725
Location: New Ulm area
So basically, if we're on the water, depending on which states LEO's stop us, we're f*cked........... :?

Go figure....... :roll:

_________________
The only downfall to a 1911A1, is actually a plus: You can have it your way, and can put an unreal amount of money into em'.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:35 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 845
Location: Saint Paul
Hunter07 wrote:
So basically, if we're on the water, depending on which states LEO's stop us, we're f*cked........... :?

Go figure....... :roll:


Yes, as we climb towards that epitome of a police state.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:19 am
Posts: 810
Location: Northern MN
old guy wrote:
If I remember correctly back a few years whern I worked for the St. Croix Co. Wis. sherriffs dept we wrote citations anywhere on the river and the Washington co. Mn. boat did the same

John


Which works well if no one hires a lawyer and fights jurisdiction...Have any cases like that?

_________________
Proud, Service Oriented, Rural LEO, or "BADGED COWBOY"
Certified MN Carry Permit Instructor


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm 
Journeyman Member

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 am
Posts: 61
Location: NE mpls MN
tman065 wrote:
old guy wrote:
If I remember correctly back a few years whern I worked for the St. Croix Co. Wis. sherriffs dept we wrote citations anywhere on the river and the Washington co. Mn. boat did the same

John


Which works well if no one hires a lawyer and fights jurisdiction...Have any cases like that?


I don't remember any, this was 30 years ago. I was over there today and stopped at the SO but no one was available to talk to. I did find out from two fishing friends that you can fish anywhere on the boundry water with either states license but you can't stand on shoreline of either state and fish with the other states licinse

John


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:15 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 373
SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Please check this thread: Mississippi River


I did checkout that thread, but it didn't have an actual answer. Of course federal laws would apply on a navigable waterway, but they're primarily concerned with merchant vessels.

Unfortunately my understanding of concurrent jurisdiction did not seem to fit historical cases.


Adjoining states have concurrent jurisdiction on the waters forming their boundaries. The law of each state are valid when not in conflict and where there is a conflict the law of the state which is most restrictive in its character must prevail...
See STATE vs NIELSEN Supreme Court of Oregon May 12 1908


So unfortunately it seems any carrying a concealed carry weapon on a boundry water is prohibited unless both states allow it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:47 pm
Posts: 174
Location: Wouldn't you like to know...
gyrfalcon wrote:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Please check this thread: Mississippi River


I did checkout that thread, but it didn't have an actual answer. Of course federal laws would apply on a navigable waterway, but they're primarily concerned with merchant vessels.

Unfortunately my understanding of concurrent jurisdiction did not seem to fit historical cases.


Adjoining states have concurrent jurisdiction on the waters forming their boundaries. The law of each state are valid when not in conflict and where there is a conflict the law of the state which is most restrictive in its character must prevail...
See STATE vs NIELSEN Supreme Court of Oregon May 12 1908


So unfortunately it seems any carrying a concealed carry weapon on a boundry water is prohibited unless both states allow it.


Of course, you could always carry openly... :roll: Let us know if you decide to do so - I'll gladly follow the case.

_________________
"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 am 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 373
JGalt wrote:
Of course, you could always carry openly... :roll: Let us know if you decide to do so - I'll gladly follow the case.


In Wisconsin you may not openly carry a firearm in a vehicle... Most boats are considered a vehicle. :(


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:24 am
Posts: 6767
Location: Twin Cities
So you can only open carry if you are swimming... :)

_________________
* NRA, UT, MADFI certified Minnesota Permit to Carry instructor, and one of 66,513 law-abiding permit holders. Read my blog.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 373
Andrew Rothman wrote:
So you can only open carry if you are swimming... :)


Glock 17 with maritime spring cups... check! :D


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group