Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 River Jurisdiction 
 Post subject: River Jurisdiction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm 

Minnesota and Wisconsin borders are clearly defined on navigational maps, as well as by the states themselves. Even though this is true, both states exercise concurrent jurisdiction of the waterway.

(Edit: IGNORE THIS)
<s>From my understanding, a Minnesota resident can carry a firearm on the river if they have a permit. The only condition is that they can not stand on the Wisconsin shore.

A Wisconsin resident could not carry a firearm, even if he had a Minnesota permit because they fall under Wisconsin's jurisdiction as a resident.</s>

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/sta ... &year=2008

Last edited by gyrfalcon on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Please check this thread: Mississippi River

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

I asked the same question in this thread.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

If I remember correctly back a few years whern I worked for the St. Croix Co. Wis. sherriffs dept we wrote citations anywhere on the river and the Washington co. Mn. boat did the same

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

So basically, if we're on the water, depending on which states LEO's stop us, we're f*cked........... :?

Go figure....... :roll:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
So basically, if we're on the water, depending on which states LEO's stop us, we're f*cked........... :?

Go figure....... :roll:

Yes, as we climb towards that epitome of a police state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

old guy wrote:
If I remember correctly back a few years whern I worked for the St. Croix Co. Wis. sherriffs dept we wrote citations anywhere on the river and the Washington co. Mn. boat did the same

John

Which works well if no one hires a lawyer and fights jurisdiction...Have any cases like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm 
Journeyman Member

tman065 wrote:
old guy wrote:

John

Which works well if no one hires a lawyer and fights jurisdiction...Have any cases like that?

I don't remember any, this was 30 years ago. I was over there today and stopped at the SO but no one was available to talk to. I did find out from two fishing friends that you can fish anywhere on the boundry water with either states license but you can't stand on shoreline of either state and fish with the other states licinse

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:15 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:

I did checkout that thread, but it didn't have an actual answer. Of course federal laws would apply on a navigable waterway, but they're primarily concerned with merchant vessels.

Unfortunately my understanding of concurrent jurisdiction did not seem to fit historical cases.

Adjoining states have concurrent jurisdiction on the waters forming their boundaries. The law of each state are valid when not in conflict and where there is a conflict the law of the state which is most restrictive in its character must prevail...
See STATE vs NIELSEN Supreme Court of Oregon May 12 1908

So unfortunately it seems any carrying a concealed carry weapon on a boundry water is prohibited unless both states allow it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm 

gyrfalcon wrote:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:

I did checkout that thread, but it didn't have an actual answer. Of course federal laws would apply on a navigable waterway, but they're primarily concerned with merchant vessels.

Unfortunately my understanding of concurrent jurisdiction did not seem to fit historical cases.

Adjoining states have concurrent jurisdiction on the waters forming their boundaries. The law of each state are valid when not in conflict and where there is a conflict the law of the state which is most restrictive in its character must prevail...
See STATE vs NIELSEN Supreme Court of Oregon May 12 1908

So unfortunately it seems any carrying a concealed carry weapon on a boundry water is prohibited unless both states allow it.

Of course, you could always carry openly... :roll: Let us know if you decide to do so - I'll gladly follow the case.

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 am 

JGalt wrote:
Of course, you could always carry openly... :roll: Let us know if you decide to do so - I'll gladly follow the case.

In Wisconsin you may not openly carry a firearm in a vehicle... Most boats are considered a vehicle. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

So you can only open carry if you are swimming... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
So you can only open carry if you are swimming... :)

Glock 17 with maritime spring cups... check! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.