Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Capital Notification 
 Post subject: Capital Notification
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Interesting, I sent a notification to the Commissioner of Public safety about carry at the Capital in April (via Certified Mail) that they recieved, I lost the tracking number slip so I can not prove that though.

I called the capital police this morning to verify I was on "the list" and lo and behold I am not. I was told it sometimes takes time to get the names sent down to them.

Anyone else have this problem? If you have recently sent in a letter you may want to check and see if it was processed. Any suggestions regarding the next step. Do I send another letter with a return reciept or what? I hate it when they play these games.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:27 am 

I sent my notification letter 2 years ago and I do have my certified mail reciept. I was told that I should have gotten a letter back from them telling me they recieved my letter. I never got such a letter. Can you post the phone number you called so I can call myself?

NRA & Minnesota certified instructor

www.mnpersonaldefense.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Capital Notification
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:28 am 
Longtime Regular

that is what i would do...
jac714 wrote:
... Do I send another letter with a return reciept or what? ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:35 am 
1911 tainted

glreis wrote:
I sent my notification letter 2 years ago and I do have my certified mail reciept. I was told that I should have gotten a letter back from them telling me they recieved my letter. I never got such a letter. Can you post the phone number you called so I can call myself?

They no longer send a conformation letter, too may request to respond to per Capital Police. I found this out when I mailed mine in a few years ago, and when I called to check why I did not recieve a conformation letter, they told me of the change in proceedure.

So send in the notification, wait a minimum of 30 days (which jac714 has) and call them to see if you are now on their capital carry list.

As for jac714, I would just resend it, they must have lost it on their end in the paper shuffle, just like you lost the tracking number.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Do what I just did:

Send an email to Michael.Campion@state.mn.us, and CC Sgt. Mike Parker, Capitol Security, at Mike.Parker@state.mn.us - with your notification. And set the email to "read notification." Parker's computer will automatically send a reply when he opens it. You have now "notified" the DPS.

:D

In fact, everyone ought to do this, even if they've sent a letter. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Do what I just did:

Send an email to Michael.Campion@state.mn.us, and CC Sgt. Mike Parker, Capitol Security, at Mike.Parker@state.mn.us - with your notification. And set the email to "read notification." Parker's computer will automatically send a reply when he opens it. You have now "notified" the DPS.

Hey Andrew, how about a copy/paste of your email to them that we lazy ones can use as a template for notification? :D

Also, I know the law says we just have to notify them, what is your opinion on the method of doing so? Did you mail also?

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Do what I just did:

Like it!! :twisted: And they are notified!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I wonder if there's a place in the law or an actual legal opinion (other than plain English reading which should suffice but often doesn't) that defines "notification"

Is there some place it's spelled out? Does the state have a policy on e-mail communications qualifying as "records"?

The statute requires us to notify them. It says nothing about what form that must take nor what documents must accompany the notification. It doesn't prohibit them from asking for more nor specify a minimum. It provides no time frame for addition to the list nor penalty for lost mail or slow addition to the list. This leaves me in a limbo.

when I asked about e-mail notification I received a response that:

Quote:
Physical written notification by letter is necessary. A photo copy of your permit should be included with your letter.

1) Since I could provide them with my name, address, DL# and Permit Reference #, presumably they would have access to verify my status and identity. I'd also assume that even with the photocopy they'd do this check just to be sure.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's the notice I sent by mail. I forgot to check if I was on the list though :-(

Quote:
Minn. Stat.609.66, Subdivision 1g specifies that a person who “possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives in any state building within the capitol area described in section 15.50, other than the National Guard Armory” is guilty of a felony, except for several classes of persons, including “persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety, as appropriate.” (Minn. Stat. 609.66, Subd 1g, (b)(2))

As a citizen, I may visit buildings in or near the Minnesota State Capital Area. As long as I have a valid permit to carry a pistol, it is likely that when I do so, I will have my pistol in my possession.

I believe I got the framework for this notification from GOCRA/CCRN. I don't remember how much I changed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Scan copies of your government documents and e-mail those as attachments. Even though the law doesn't require it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

That's par for the course on the state. We (DOD) block all external receipts for security and spam reasons. Of course if you saw the IT "security" :shock: at most state agencies you would not be happy.

Everything I send to government by US mail is sent registered with a return receipt.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:02 pm 
Wise Elder

Try this form letter for the Metro area.

Quote:
Name
Address
Telephone Number

Date __________________

Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Central Office
444 Cedar Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

Hennepin County Sheriff
Courthouse, Room 6
350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Ramsey County Sheriff
425 Grove Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

Anoka County Sheriff
325 East Main Street
Anoka, MN 55303

Dakota County Sheriff
1580 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033

Carver County Sheriff
606 East 4th Street
Chaska, MN 55318

Scott County Sheriff
200 Fourth Avenue West
Shakopee, MN 55379

Washington County Sheriff
PO Box 3801
Stillwater, Minnesota 55082

CERTIFIED FIRST CLASS US MAIL

RE: Notice pursuant to Minnesota Statutes section 609.66,
subdivision 1g (b) (2).

Gentlemen;

Please consider this letter as the statutorily required notification securing for me the exemption specified in Minnesota Statutes section 609.66, subdivision 1g (b)(2) from the prohibition on possession of a pistol and ammunition in "any state building within the capitol area" and in "any courthouse complex" in the counties indicated above.

I will be carrying a pistol and ammunition under the authority my Minnesota Permit to Carry issued by the ___________________ County Sheriff (reference # ___________________ ) until its expiration date of ____________________. My permit may be verified through the state BCA database.

This is all you are required to send. They can verify the VALIDITY of your carry permit through the BCA database. They do not need a copy, nor a description of your gun, nor anything else. It is a notification, not a request for permission nor a registration.

It is effective as soon as they receive it. Delays in internal agancy routing, lost inter-office distribution, etc. are not your problem. That's why the return receipt is important to keep in your files (not in your wallet where it could get lost). Keep a photocopy of the letter and returned receipt in your wallet if desired.

Post subject: Address correction for Commissioner of Public Safety
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:54 am 
Journeyman Member

I just got off the phone with Capt. Mary Schrader of the State Patrol's Capitol Security division. She gave me a different address for Michael Campion than the one in Kimberman's post:

Suite 1000
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

Incidentally, she sounds very professional, and I didn't detect the slightest trace dismay that I was planning to carry at the Capitol.

Post subject: Re: Address correction for Commissioner of Public Safety
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:57 am 
1911 tainted

mostlylurkin wrote:
I just got off the phone with Capt. Mary Schrader of the State Patrol's Capitol Security division. She gave me a different address for Michael Campion than the one in Kimberman's post:

Suite 1000
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

Incidentally, she sounds very professional, and I didn't detect the slightest trace dismay that I was planning to carry at the Capitol.

I believe she was the one that explained the change in proceedure of not sending out a conformation letter, but for the permit holder to call and verify that their name is on the Capital carry list.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:32 pm 

Commissioner of Public Safety
Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Central Office
Suite 1000
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

Via Certified Mail

Dear Commissioner:
Minn. Stat. 609.66, Subdivision 1g specifies that a person who "possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives in any state building within the capitol area described in section 15.50, other than the National Guard Armory" is guilty of a felony, except for several classes of persons, including "persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety, as appropriate." (See Minn. Stat 609.66, Subd 1g, (b)(2))
As a citizen involved in the legislative process, I frequently visit buildings within the capitol area. As the holder of a Minnesota State Permit to Carry a Handgun, it is likely that when I do so, I will have my pistol in my possession.
Please consider this letter as the required notification, securing for me the exemption specified in Minn. Stat 609.66, Subd 1g, (b)(2). A copy of the front my current permit is included, as is a copy of the front of my Minnesota driver's license.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Heres the copy of he one I got back in my 03 permit class with the address change for the cut and pasters.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.