Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Open Carry experience 
 Post subject: Open Carry experience
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I walked, with my 5 year old daughter, to the North Regional Library yesterday afternoon. It is 6 blks from our house. In those 12 blks of our trip, I had 3 conversations with folks about my pistol and getting a P2C in general. One was a school bus driver who said he went around the block to catch up to me to talk. They were all very nice conversations and no Police were called and no one tried to shoot me first. :lol:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am 
Poet Laureate

And yet another testment to the fact that the sky doesn't fall.
On the flip side: How much good do you think Moby did for 2A on that little walk?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:47 pm 

[blank stare]How much good do you think Moby did for 2A on that little walk?[/blank stare]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

+3 possibles for 2A rights and Carry permits is a whole lot better than my last walk to the Library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Note to self: send Moby business cards to hand out... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I did at least plug this site. 8) However, I am always willing to hand out cards from any of the reputable instuctors. :shock:

CC to CCW, that does not include you. Sorry :lol:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:32 pm 
The Man

Moby Clarke wrote:
I did at least plug this site. 8) However, I am always willing to hand out cards from any of the reputable instuctors. :shock:

CC to CCW, that does not include you. Sorry :lol:
Send me a mailing address; I've got a few of CCW's cards that I'll pass along, FYA, as well as mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I always look at open carry people as those who are evangelists to the outside world, making it easier for the rest of us to carry in whatever way we see fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 pm 

I usually go for walks during the evening and have lately thought about open carrying on them. I always figure open carrying is more for a political statement and a good time for political statements is when you're out and about with other people.

I'm glad to hear it turned out well for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am 
Poet Laureate

ComradeBurg wrote:
I usually go for walks during the evening and have lately thought about open carrying on them. I always figure open carrying is more for a political statement and a good time for political statements is when you're out and about with other people.

Indeed, but remember: baby steps my friend, baby steps. Get comfortable!
OC on your evening walk. Then after a few times at that, OC when you pay-at-the-pump gas. Then after awhile maybe wander in to pay and grab a pastry. You could have lunch at an empty-ish looking locally owned restaurant, compliment the food, and let them know you'll be back.

Pretty soon your political statement is no big deal, becomes second thought to you, and you'll be out there on the lawn at a capitol rally, piece on your hip, wondering why the whole of America doesn't seize upon and excersize this precious freedom we have without being ashamed. :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:45 am 

ComradeBurg wrote:

I'm glad to hear it turned out well for you.

One of the things that I always tell my students is that if they choose to exercise their right to open carry, try being even friendlier and more open than normal. Smile at everyone you see. Say hello. Keep a jovial tone in your voice. The first few times you do it, it may feel fake, but you'll notice the reactions you get from the people around you. Usually they go from concern/fear, to confusion, to acceptance, and sometimes curiosity. Some people never get past phase one or two, and you have to be willing to accept that as well, but if you are uber friendly, most people at least get to the confusion phase. I find it quite amusing to watch these changes in emotion.

As always though, especially while open carrying, please try to be a good ambassador for the carry community.

*steps off my soap box*

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:53 am 

I open carried for the first time last night. It was about 11:30pm and I realized that no one had bothered to get the mail, so me and the Glock (with its three glowing beady eyes) took a little stroll to grab it. It may have been only 40 feet and no one in the neighborhood was awake, but it's a start . . . very tiny baby steps.

Also, I concealed at the Capitol Grounds during the Tea Party (after properly notifying the CoPS) and chose the Hawaiian shirt method. The funny thing was the guy in front of me was also sporting a Hawaiian shirt and based on how badly his gun was printing, he must have chosen a .50 cal for self-defense. Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:57 am 

Prhyme wrote:
I open carried for the first time last night. It was about 11:30pm and I realized that no one had bothered to get the mail, so me and the Glock (with its three glowing beady eyes) took a little stroll to grab it. It may have been only 40 feet and no one in the neighborhood was awake, but it's a start . . . very tiny baby steps.

Also, I concealed at the Capitol Grounds during the Tea Party (after properly notifying the CoPS) and chose the Hawaiian shirt method. The funny thing was the guy in front of me was also sporting a Hawaiian shirt and based on how badly his gun was printing, he must have chosen a .50 cal for self-defense. Good times.

Congrats on your baby steps, and how brave you are for sporting a Hawaiian shirt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:08 am 
Poet Laureate

nmat wrote:
Congrats on your baby steps, and how brave you are for sporting a Hawaiian shirt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1

One ought to OC a pistol and CC a Hawaiian shirt.
You've got to have real brass ones to OC one of those in public! :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hey, I love my Hawaiian shirt. So back up off Hawaiian shirts man! They're certainly better than the white-tshirt-long-enough-to-be-a-dress that the local thugsters wear around here.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.