Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 "Coconut Charlie" debate 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

mrokern wrote:

Does anyone else find it fishy that this blog entry just happens to date from when this topic was really starting to heat up, or that a blogger speaking so much in defense of Penaz seems to be taking some awfully direct shots at Joel, who isn't a part of the ripoff report?

I call bullshit, loudly.

-Mark

And I notice the Capt. Capitalism is still referring to the permit as "conceal and carry", real credible!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:52 pm 
The Man

mrokern wrote:

Does anyone else find it fishy that this blog entry just happens to date from when this topic was really starting to heat up, or that a blogger speaking so much in defense of Penaz seems to be taking some awfully direct shots at Joel, who isn't a part of the ripoff report?

I call bullshit, loudly.

-Mark
Just to clarify: I do have some involvement in the ripoff report: one of Joe's critics suggested that he have me take his class and file a report:

Quote:
He says he was 'trained' by Joe Olson. He says that 'No other course gives the same in-depth view into the law.' he says. I bet he won't ask Joe Olson to sit in on his class and give an HONEST opinion about how 'in-depth' he is or whether he is up to his hipboots in bullshit. He says he 'we are associated with and was certified by MADFI in 2005'.
Ouch. Don't blame me for the grammar; I'm just quoting.
Quote:
I bet he won't ask MADFI to sit in on his class and give an HONEST opinion about it. He mentions Joel Rosenburg on his website and says he teaches the same thing as Rosenburg's 'Twin Cities Carry' class. I bet he won't ask Rosenburg to sit in on his class and give an HONEST opinion on it.

Well, firstly, my name isn't spelled that way, but . . . yeah, I was dragged, just a little, into it.

No, I'm not interested -- for free or for any reasonable amount of pay -- sitting in on Penaz's class and writing a review. I'm not sure I'm even interested in doing it for a preposterous amount of money.

I will note, for the record, that if either Professor Olson or Andrew Rothman -- whose tossed-off comment about Penaz being a friend has gotten a lot of play here, of late -- has ever done so, their report, if any, remains shrouded in secrecy.

My guess -- although I've not specifically asked -- is that Penaz never asked either of them. Which I think is unfortunate; amusement is sometimes hard to come by.

Last edited by joelr on Sun May 10, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:53 pm 
The Man

Greg wrote:
mrokern wrote:

I call bullshit, loudly.

-Mark

And I notice the Capt. Capitalism is still referring to the permit as "conceal and carry", real credible!
I'm sure Joe straightened him out on the legalities and concerns around concealment, both in Minnesota, and while traveling --

No, wait. I'm not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:13 pm 
On time out

Joel:
"Who are you claiming are these conspirators? Please be very specific."

Joel, I have no idea who these guys are. I would never accuse anyone without proof to back it up. One thing is pretty clear, the bashers used bogus alias' like "doctor from Mpls" or similar alias' and the non-bashers signed their names or at least most did.

Joel:
"I've heard that sort of argument from Penaz, repeatedly. I think him cleaning up his act would be better than "security by obscurity." Been saying so for, literally, years. "

Truthfully, I didn't hear about the affect on the PTC community or gun-grabbers from Joe. I thought of it all by myself.

Joel:
"Perhaps, but that would hardly be the case for Penaz. (Yes, I know that's what he told you, like he tells everybody. It's not true.) I can, if you'd like, quote you chapter and verse from stuff he's taken down from his various eyebleeding websites. Shall I? Or would you prefer to hit the Google cache yourself?"

Nope, once again, Joe didn't tell me anything about Gunstop or about not attacking those who are attacking him. I thought of it all by myself (except for the recommendations from the guys at Gunstop).

Joel:
"I don't know. I think that it's entirely possible that some of the critics and some of the supporters, there, are equally legit. [ETA: I'm confident that at least some of his supporters there are Penaz himself, and people who have taken his class, posting under their own names."

IIRC, Joe responded a few times on Ripoff.com using his real. And not once did he attack or use aggressive language towards anyone. I'd respond to this part of your question, but I don't know what a "sockpuppet" is. As for when Joe's class shows up at BPR, I know first-hand how he keeps the students in line. He goes over the "firing line" topic before we left the class (twice as-matter-of-fact) and then again in the lobby of BPR. He allows only one student at a time inside the shooting bay. I, personally, didn't see one incident of any unsafe gun handling on Joe's watch.

Joel:
"Yup; that is the Penazian pravda. I frankly doubt it [trans: I think it's unmitigated horse hockey] but I guess it could be the case. I dunno. Sounds unlikely; ripoffreport.com isn't exactly a prominent website for people looking to find a carry permit instructor in Minnesota, is it?"

Joel, you might be right about Ripoff.com not helping his cause. But he seems to fill his classes. Maybe you could answer why his classes are filled better than me.

Joel:
"Which real name is yours? (I'm not doubting, just questioning.) "

I PM'd my real name to you. When you read it, you'll know why.

Joel:
"I understand that Joe likes to portray himself as such; he isn't. That's okay. I'm more than wildly guessing that you got that choice piece of pravda from Penaz, either directly or indirectly. "

I'm not sure where I heard the pioneer stuff.......maybe at Gunstop. I do know Joe is not a newcomer PTC instructor.

I'm trying to think of why some of you are going after him. Is it because he makes a living by doing or selling other things besides PTC classes? So what if he sells Amsoil...........I use it in both of our motorcycles. Is it because he teaches piano lessons.......or maybe because he's a pilot. I just don't get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
The Man

Magnum Mikie wrote:
Joel:
"Who are you claiming are these conspirators? Please be very specific."

Joel, I have no idea who these guys are. I would never accuse anyone without proof to back it up. One thing is pretty clear, the bashers used bogus alias' like "doctor from Mpls" or similar alias' and the non-bashers signed their names or at least most did.
Well, I think I know who "Dr. Al" took his first carry class with. (Wasn't me, but an instructor who I know seemed to think it was him.) In reading his very detailed posting, it seems to me that he's either a very clever imposter (and why? I dunno) or a clinical psychologist with a PhD, not an MD. (MDs never pass up the chance to tell you that they are; he calls himself a "clinician.") Guy who calls himself a "Doctor" but not an MD, referring to himself as a clinician and putting in a disclaimer about "diagnostic merit"? And while I guess it's possible that he Googled NPD out of the DSM-IV and then constructed his story around it -- well, not likely, really, but possible (is the DSM-IV online for googling? I know I can't find the Merck Manual; maybe it's subscrip-only, too?) -- I think it's more likely that he is, roughly, who and what he says he is. But I don't know; just guessing.
Quote:

Joel:
"I've heard that sort of argument from Penaz, repeatedly. I think him cleaning up his act would be better than "security by obscurity." Been saying so for, literally, years. "

Truthfully, I didn't hear about the affect on the PTC community or gun-grabbers from Joe. I thought of it all by myself.
Fair enough.
Quote:

Joel:
"Perhaps, but that would hardly be the case for Penaz. (Yes, I know that's what he told you, like he tells everybody. It's not true.) I can, if you'd like, quote you chapter and verse from stuff he's taken down from his various eyebleeding websites. Shall I? Or would you prefer to hit the Google cache yourself?"

Nope, once again, Joe didn't tell me anything about Gunstop or about not attacking those who are attacking him. I thought of it all by myself (except for the recommendations from the guys at Gunstop).
I think the guys at Gunstop can speak for themselves, if they choose to.
Quote:

Joel:
"I don't know. I think that it's entirely possible that some of the critics and some of the supporters, there, are equally legit. [ETA: I'm confident that at least some of his supporters there are Penaz himself, and people who have taken his class, posting under their own names."

IIRC, Joe responded a few times on Ripoff.com using his real. And not once did he attack or use aggressive language towards anyone.
You're quite right that his postings didn't do that. He did that elsewhere. You want examples? At least one is preserved on the Forum.

Back to the ripoff "Penaz" postings. Read them. They're remarkably well-written, and posted under his name. They have none of his characteristic grammatical and stylistic tics -- just to pick the obvious one, in those postings, he doesn't ever make a possibl vaguely coherent thing and end it in a question mark? I don't no what that means?

Well, actually, I do have a clue as to what that means; those postings appear very, very different from what "Dr. Al" referred to as the "verbal diarrhea splattered across his website." (I'm jealous; all I could come up with is "eye-bleeding", "painful," and "often incoherent.") The sentences at ripoff were actually written -- not by a terribly talented writer, mind you, but, sheesh -- could it be by the guy who wrote . . .

Quote:
For all you Carry questions go to...this is best forum,just straight forward talk about Carry in the Twin City..:

... that? (You want some more eyebleeds? He's had somebody removing some, of late, but there's a lot left.)

Hmm... the "Joe Penaz" on ripoff does know the difference between "you" and "your"; doesn't do the Random Capitalize on "carry"; puts a space after a comma; doesn't he think he gets charged extra for using the word "the", and doesn't have Joe's "Twin City" tic, etc. etc.

I can show you a bunch of emails to me from him, if you'd like; I think it's eminently clear who wrote those for him.
Quote:
I'd respond to this part of your question, but I don't know what a "sockpuppet" is.
Fair enough; happy to help. Over to you.
Quote:
As for when Joe's class shows up at BPR, I know first-hand how he keeps the students in line.
This has not been the case the majority of times I've been there and observed. It wasn't the case the day that his student pointed a [deleted] gun at me.
Quote:
He goes over the "firing line" topic before we left the class (twice as-matter-of-fact) and then again in the lobby of BPR.
I'm pretty sure that he doesn't do at least most of that when his first contact with his students is to meet at BPR for the qual.
Quote:
I, personally, didn't see one incident of any unsafe gun handling on Joe's watch.
I've seen more than one, and that's just by having the misfortune to be in the same place at the same time. It's why I have my assistant -- my daughter, Judy -- posted at the window to pound on it on the (now, thankfully rare; he's doing most of his quals elsewhere, and his BPR ones at times I can usually arrange to work around) occasions when he is using the same bay I am. I got enough to do when running a qual, after all.
Quote:

Joel:
"Yup; that is the Penazian pravda. I frankly doubt it [trans: I think it's unmitigated horse hockey] but I guess it could be the case. I dunno. Sounds unlikely; ripoffreport.com isn't exactly a prominent website for people looking to find a carry permit instructor in Minnesota, is it?"

Joel, you might be right about Ripoff.com not helping his cause. But he seems to fill his classes. Maybe you could answer why his classes are filled better than me.
I think he's a terrific <s>salesman</s> pitch man; beyond that, I don't know.
Quote:

Joel:
"Which real name is yours? (I'm not doubting, just questioning.) "

I PM'd my real name to you. When you read it, you'll know why.
I do. I've replied privately.
Quote:

Joel:
"I understand that Joe likes to portray himself as such; he isn't. That's okay. I'm more than wildly guessing that you got that choice piece of pravda from Penaz, either directly or indirectly. "

I'm not sure where I heard the pioneer stuff.......maybe at Gunstop. I do know Joe is not a newcomer PTC instructor.
ALERT: attempt to change the subject. The question at hand is not whether or not he's a newcomer, but whether or not he's a "pioneer." Please stick to the subject and not try to change it.
Quote:

I'm trying to think of why some of you are going after him. Is it because he makes a living by doing or selling other things besides PTC classes?
Sheesh. Most instructors -- quite literally all I have any respect for, around here -- make their living by doing other stuff in addition to carry classes. And do note that a lot of the criticism of Penaz comes from folks who can't be so easily dismissed by the usual silly claim that they're only pissed off at him because they're competitors.
Quote:
So what if he sells Amsoil...........I use it in both of our motorcycles. Is it because he teaches piano lessons.......or maybe because he's a pilot. I just don't get it.
There, we agree.

You don't.

Last edited by joelr on Sun May 10, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:44 pm 
On time out

Quote:
ALERT: attempt to change the subject. The question at hand is not whether or not he's a newcomer, but whether or not he's a "pioneer." Please stick to the subject and not try to change it.

Like I stated earlier: "FWIW, I'm with the understanding that Joe Penaz was one of pioneers of PTC instructors. I'm sure I'll be corrected if this is untrue."

Yes, apparently, I have been corrected 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:45 pm 
The Man

True enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I haven't made it clear by my silence before, this isn't my battle, and it's one I would rather stay out of.

That being apparently impossible, here goes:

Magnum Mikie wrote:
Even your Site Administrator calls Joe a good friend in the thread below:

Here's the quote:

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Yep. Joe Penaz, a Waconia instructor and a friend of mine, had a couple of conversations with the proprietor...

Yes, Joe has been a friend, though we haven't spoken much as of late. He is a very charming, likable guy. He plays a mean guitar, flies planes, does marine upholstery, drills bowling balls, and is a successful salesman of a number of products and services. He is in many ways a true renaissance man, who enjoys not only broad interests but the drive to pursue them.

He also used to be certified by MADFI; he is not now, although until recently his web site implied that he was. (I don't comment publicly about MADFI certifications, but there are many reasons instructors come and go.)

I have not directly observed Joe's carry class, but I have had the opportunity to speak to more than a few of Joe's students who have called and emailed me for after-class support.

I have also had conversations with Joe about the carry law, and while his heart is definitely in the right place, I understand why he sends his students to others for the tough questions: he doesn't know the answers himself.

Here's a little thought experiment for you. If it was your job to know something, and you got stumped by a client's question, would you: a) send them to someone who knew, or b) call the knowledgeable person yourself so you'd know the answer next time?

I know what I do.

I wish Joe would spend a little less time defending his classes' shortcomings and a little more remedying them, but I've been unable to convince him to do so. More's the pity -- a pitchman like him could be a real asset to the movement if he got on board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 pm 
The Man

On that latter, Andrew, I think so, and I stand corrected. Pitch man is correct. I think a really good salesman -- I know a few -- has to know the products and/or services backwards and forwards, and know when it's better to pass up a sale than to make a bad one, or when it's right to send the lead down the road to somebody else. A pitch man, on the other hand, really only has to memorize the pitch, do a demo, and get the customers over to the cashier. That's not the same thing, but it's a valuable skillset in the right situation.

That said, I know a real renaissance man -- Jerry Pournelle. Battlefield commission in Korea, picked up two MS degrees and two PhDs, after; campaign manager for Yorty and Goldwater, Jr.; saved the world (no, I'm not kidding -- SDI, which I think finally caused the fall of the Soviet Union, was born in Larry Niven's living room, with Jerry and General Graham making it happen); and then there's all the space stuff, founding Pres of Pepperdine Research, and it's hard to overestimate the importance of his and Possony's The Strategy of Technology, and let's not get into his influence on personal computing. Used to be a nationally-ranked fencer, in his younger days (I've got an idea who he caught the bug from -- it was probably his friend, Mr. Heinlein).

Well, that'll do for a start. Now, Jerry's a renaissance man. On that scale, the likes of Penaz (or me; there've been folks who think that my own, preposterously modest-by-comparison accomplishments in various things, make me such) just don't stack up.

Last edited by joelr on Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok, as I told someone earlier this evening, I'm no longer posting from my iPhone and hence I can post this without losing feeling in my fingertips.

Joe's website does us absolutely no favors. If ever somebody wanted to make a point about unprofessional instructors existing in Minnesota, all they have to do is point to the rambling drivel that makes up his "site". It reflects poorly on the entire carry community.

Remember that however ignorant we may consider the average "anti" to be, they tend to place a premium on education above common sense. Why play into their stereotypes of gun owners being uneducated?

I also consider qualifying with a .22lr, without a well-considered course of fire, to be dangerously incompetent instruction.

I don't doubt the comments that he can be a very likable guy. There are a lot of people at work I consider to be good, friendly people...but can't stand from a professional point of view. The opposite applies to other people. In my personal life, I prefer the former. At work, I'll take the latter every time. When I can find someone who falls into both camps, I'm thrilled, and there are many.

If you're going to run a business, then run it well and do it honestly. I don't doubt that he can sell anything; after all, Vince Schlomi and Billy Mays make a lot of money doing what they do, but it doesn't mean that I don't want to punch them in the nose for the way they do it.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Can your carry permit instructor actually gut a fish?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 am 
The Man

Magnum Mikie wrote:
I'm trying to think of why some of you are going after him.
For those who came in late, he's talking about Mango Joe Penaz.
Quote:
Is it because he makes a living by doing or selling other things besides PTC classes? So what if he sells Amsoil...........I use it in both of our motorcycles. Is it because he teaches piano lessons.......or maybe because he's a pilot. I just don't get it.
It bothers me that you don't get it, so I'll try to help.

Let's take a look at Penaz's "credentials" spew:

Quote:
...Few instructors have as many hard to get qualifications as I have to teach.

*Over 200 hours of formal firearms instructor level classroom training from the likes of the NRA, AACFI, MADFI and others.
* Bail Bondsman Licensed (I can be there if you are arrested to bail you out and help you!)
* Fugitive Recovery Agent www.mnfugitiverecovery.com
* I hold a class 01, 02, SOT, 07 Federal Firearms License (Machine guns) as a dealer and gun manufacturer developing enhancements and parts for light machine guns.
* Instrument rated pilot and aircraft owner. Lost two engines in planes.
* Class "A" commercial drivers license, basically I can drive anything on the road.
* Certified Volunteer DNR firearms safety instructor
* Dive coordinator scuba divers license, professional scuba diver.
* Certified ABC bowling instructor and was a high school bowling coach.
* Teach guitar, piano, voice and music theory.
* I can sell and demo guns other instructors cannot even own
* Certified Glock Armorer and repair facility
* I am a first family lifetime member of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Las Vegas Nevada www.FrontSight.com
* Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certified Range Qualifier

Now, let's look at another instructors' credentials discussion. Here's the actual one.

Quote:
He wrote its state-approved instructor curriculum, and has personally trained and certified more than 80 instructors.

Andrew is also a certified NRA instructor in Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps, Home Firearm Safety, and Personal Protection in the Home, and is a NRA-certified Range Safety Officer.

He is also certified by the state of Utah as a Concealed Firearm Instructor.
All of which is relevant to the underlying question: what relevant merit badges does he have? (I'm not knocking merit badges; I got a couple, m'self.)

So let's penazify it, just a bit, by adding on the following (some of which may be true, some of which may not be, but all of which is perhaps not entirely central to the issue of whether or not he does a good job in carry permit training -- which, by the way, he does):

Quote:
He graduated from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelors in Journalism. No other carry permit instructor in the state of Minnesota has graduated from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelors in Journalism? Ask your carry permit instructor where he got his Bachelors in Journalism!

He is a nationally-ranked chess player, with known expertise in the Ruy Lopez defense. Ask your carry permit instructor how much chess he's played!

He is a professional web developer, with expertise in ASP, PHP, and turning on the Big Red Switch to start up a computer? Ask your carry permit instructor how much PHP programming experience he's had!

As a licensed security agent, he specialized in resolving conflicts without the use of weapons, or force at all. Ask your instructor how many shifts he's had as a security guard!

As a hobby cook, he is an expert at decorating cakes and making chicken etouffee, a dish very few other instructors dare to tackle!

He can solve a Rubik's cube in fifteen seconds. Ask your carry permit instructor how quickly he can solve a Rubik's -- and listen carefully to the answer: your life may depend on it!

He can gut and filet a trout in thirty-seven seconds. Ask your carry permit instructor how quickly he can gut a fish -- any fish!

Last edited by joelr on Mon May 11, 2009 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

For the record: I play a lousy game of chess, it takes me a couple minutes to solve the Cube, I am quite slow at gutting fish, and I haven't worked a security shift in fifteen years.

The rest is true -- I do make a mean etouffee, and my cakes are famous. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm 

But, can he catch a fly with chopsticks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:02 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

ecrist wrote the following quoted comments:

Quote:
I think the 'I do X preparation before every class' argument is bullsh!t, as every class is the same.

No, it's not, and I come from the perspective not of being an instructor (which I'm not), but rather from taking four carry permit classes over the past couple of years. Each class that I attended was tailored to that specific group of individuals, as it should be if the instructor is professional and competent. A "one size fits all" class that everyone seems to pass no matter what does no favors to either the student or to the community at large. I took my Minnesota renewal with Joel, and while I consider him a close friend, I would have thought less of him had he passed me when I shouldn't have (I did pass, thankfully), solely because of that relationship.

Keep in mind that "price" doesn't always equal "value".

Quote:
I call that a cost of doing business

Someone who artificially lowers his or her rates by (1.) outsourcing support to other instructors by telling their students to call them (and ridiculously avails themselves of that support themselves, according to Joel), and (2.) Shortchanges the students by not providing the required hours of instruction is not only a bad business owner, but also a fool, and again ends up not doing any good for either the student or the community. God forbid one of this Penaz person's "graduates" gets involved in a high-profile DGU.

Quote:
4) He doesn't provide one of joelr's books as part of the class.

Penaz certainly doesn't have to. He does, though, have to provide materials sufficient to leave the student with a resource to consult when questions arise. Again, he apparently chooses to rely on other instructors for that job. Unacceptable, in my opinion.

Magnum Mikie wrote the following quoted comments:

Quote:
That said, I'm curious if Joel or other instructors have attempted to contact Joe Penaz and try to work out any wrinkles or discrepancies you may have rather than discredit him because of his very competitive prices.

Because it's not their job. Besides, it's been made quite clear that the beef is over Penaz's apparently incompetent training, and not his prices. I know of several instructors on this board who have provided low-cost or even free training to people, without complaint from anyone here who feels that such policies cut into their business. There's that "individualized instruction" thing again.

Quote:
It's apparent after reviewing the comments in the links below that there's been an obvious conspiracy to beat down Joe Penaz.

You're probably ascribing way too much importance to Mr. Penaz. My impression is that the instructors here feel that they've already wasted far too much of their time on him, without participating in an organized, anonymous online lynching of the man. The instructors here are better than that.

Quote:
Just imagine if some gun-grabbers start catching wind of this fiasco. No good can come of it.

Oh, I don't know about that. If Penaz is embarrassed into improving his training methods or forced into doing so because of a loss of business, I would consider that a net gain. Again, what happens when the "gun grabbers start catching wind" of Penaz and his classes after one of his poorly trained students does something spectacularly wrong?

Quote:
Like I stated earlier: "FWIW, I'm with the understanding that Joe Penaz was one of pioneers of PTC instructors. I'm sure I'll be corrected if this is untrue."

I've been very involved in the carry community since 2001, and I'd never even heard of Penaz until this recent kerfluffle on the board.

Here's my far-away summary of the situation, for what it's worth:

Joe Penaz appears to be a subpar instructor who cuts far too many corners for comfort. A number of instructors on the board are concerned that (1.) His reputation for poor instruction will eventually smear theirs by association, and/or (2.) One of his students will eventually be involved in a high-profile fiasco that will permanently damage carry in Minnesota.

Penaz has also inappropriately used others, mainly Joel, as an unpaid resource, and has linked to Joel's websites without permission, which is terribly bad manners if nothing else. Actually, I believe that Joel has showed admirable restraint to date. I would have long ago lost patience with Penaz's leech-like behavior and done something more aggressive to stop it.

Having no other recourse, the instructors here have decided to call attention to Penaz's poor instruction, in an attempt to reduce by as much as possible the number of permit holders in the community who have been trained by him.

Sounds like a fair course of action to me.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:18 pm 
The Man

Yup, to all that. Of course, I wouldn't have passed Doug if he hadn't passed the qual; as I recall, he scored not quite preposterously well, and with perfect safety. I'm unsurprised.

As to which instructors Penaz has been using as his aftermarket support, other than me, I don't know. I think Andrew's probably gotten more calls recently than I have, as it's been weeks since my last one -- which was unusually strange, even for a Penazian. But there could be others -- lots of them. It may be that other instructors are honored to fill in for the lacunae in Penaz's instruction -- not my concern, and I've told him that, explicitly, it's not in his interest for them to call me:

Quote:
As to your students, repeatedly, over years, calling for aftermarket support, that's long been an annoyance, and an imposition, and I'd like you to stop it. Now. (If you want me to agree to provide aftermarket support for your students, that's fine; make me an offer.)

That last is in your interest, by the way. Every time somebody calls me with questions, if they're not one of mine, I ask who their instructor is. When they answer -- some have taken to hanging up at that point, of late -- it's about an 80% chance that they say that it's you. I think you should like that to start dropping toward zero.

Fair enough?
Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure that Penaz can't afford me for aftermarket support for his students, but I did feel obligated to make the offer, hoping that he wouldn't pursue it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.