Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 "Coconut Charlie" debate 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
I'm not convinced that anyone who is obtuse enough to believe that concealed carry bahdges are a good idea could be convinced that the statute applies to them. After all, they're not impersonating a peace officer, just announcing the possession of a permit, see.

M.S. 609.475 isn't a whole lot different.

I am glad you stopped polishing your badge long enough to post. :P :P :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I think that calling the carry badge itself a misdemeanor is a big stretch.

I think that they are idiotic, but the statute requires intent to impersonate a cop:

Quote:
displays or possesses without authority any badge...or a reasonable facsimile of any of these items, with the intent to deceive another or with the intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act.

The badge ain't illegal unless you use it, or intend to use it, to convince someone that you are a cop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:33 am 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I think that calling the carry badge itself a misdemeanor is a big stretch.

I think that they are idiotic, but the statute requires intent to impersonate a cop:

Quote:
displays or possesses without authority any badge...or a reasonable facsimile of any of these items, with the intent to deceive another or with the intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act.

The badge ain't illegal unless you use it, or intend to use it, to convince someone that you are a cop.

You can think they are idiots all you want, law breakers that are convicted think this everyday. So as you point out, wearing it would meet the criteria of an attempt to deceive another or pretended official authority, to wear it would be using it, therefore a class B misdemeanor in Utah. In the Utah instructor course I took, when the use of deadly force to stop the commission of a felony in Utah was discussed, I asked several questions about the Utah statute to make it clear in my mind.

I cover this in my Utah class, as I assume any thorough Utah instructor would. If not covered, I guess that Utah instructor would be consider to be giving a "Coconut Charlie" class. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.