Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Loaded handgun on front seat of car? 
 Post subject: Loaded handgun on front seat of car?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:15 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm new to handgunning. I've been pounding with shotguns & rifles for over 35 yrs. I took my mandatory handgun class 2 weeks ago. At the class, I asked the instructor if it was legal to carry a loaded handgun on the front seat of a vehicle in Minn if one has a "Permit Carry License". The instructor, a chief of police of a N W Minnesota town said, "Absolutely!" I wonder about this. Any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Legal, but not smart. Heavy things tend to go flying when cars make sharp turns or sudden stops.

Put it in a good holster or otherwise secure it.

Post subject: Re: Loaded handgun on front seat of car?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:27 pm 
The Man

Goose wrote:
I'm new to handgunning. I've been pounding with shotguns & rifles for over 35 yrs. I took my mandatory handgun class 2 weeks ago. At the class, I asked the instructor if it was legal to carry a loaded handgun on the front seat of a vehicle in Minn if one has a "Permit Carry License". The instructor, a chief of police of a N W Minnesota town said, "Absolutely!" I wonder about this. Any ideas?
What Matt said. It's almost as bad an idea as carrying it in the glove compartment.

If you're not going to put it in a holster, put it under your right thigh.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:53 pm 

I have a holster set up inside a day planner that rides very nicely in my center console. Gives me easy access and is easily secured. FYI, the center console is heavy steel with a good lock and it's bolted to the vehicle. If I feel the need to have the gun in my hand I can either open the console and grasp the gun or pull it out and have it in my lap.

I'll also say that I normally have a pistol on my hip. I feel that at times it's faster to access the console gun vs the carry gun under the shirt with the seatbelt and all.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Without commenting on the merits of carrying a loaded handgun in the open front seat, many people get permits to carry for the benefit of not worrying about "how" they transport their gun in their vehicle. It does make driving to the range and how and where you put the handgun a simpler equation to master.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:34 am 
Sure you can. I find it uncomfortable having a gun poking me in the back while I'm driving. The seat belt doesn't help matters, and makes the firearm inaccessible.

So here's the solution I have come up with for my truck. I bought one of those cup holder/storge units that sit on the "hump" on the floor. I added a couple of bricks for some extra weight to help secure it. I pulled a Fobus holster I had and don't use for carry and clipped it to the edge of the storage unit. They are both black plastic and with all the other stuff in the bin the holster is hidden pretty well. If there wasn't a gun in it anybody not too familiar with guns would have a hard time knowing it was even there.

Before I put my seat belt on I remove my gun from my belt holster and place it in the Fobus holster. There it sits while I drive, safe, secure, and readily available if I were to need it. I simply return the gun to my belt when I'm done driving.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:37 am 

Guest? Oops, forgot to log in :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

phorvick wrote:
Without commenting on the merits of carrying a loaded handgun in the open front seat, many people get permits to carry for the benefit of not worrying about "how" they transport their gun in their vehicle. It does make driving to the range and how and where you put the handgun a simpler equation to master.

Sure is a nice side benefit of having a carry permit.
Makes toting my guns to the range a bit easier and less worrysome.

Post subject: Another cubby hole for a gun...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:26 am 
Journeyman Member

I also came up with a neat little spot to put my carry gun whilst traversing the highways and byways.

At the front of the center console of my truck is a top opening compartment made to hold four CD jewel cases. I simply load in two CD cases and my .38 in either it's pocket holster or my IWB holster fits nicely in the remaining opening (I have to leave the recessed cover open).

The grip sits in a good place to draw the weapon from and it's all held securely while I'm driving.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.