Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hugget case dismissed: importance of "there's the evide 
 Post subject: Hugget case dismissed: importance of "there's the evide
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:33 am 

http://www.startribune.com/local/46672927.html

Quote:
This court is satisfied that Huggett did what he reasonably should have done to have the evidence preserved; namely, he told Detective Finch precisely where the voice mail was located, he summarized it to her immediately after the incident as best he could, and he even went so far as to suggest she listen to it.

1) I was afraid for my life
2) There's the evidence
3) Lawyer lawyer lawyer

Step 1 and 2 are important too and may be the only reason this case was dismissed without a jury trial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:36 am 

I'm confused as to why this guy was even charged?
b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:04 am 
Raving Moderate

Because he shot that poor fellow, who just turning his life around, and only wanted to talk to his ex and the kids... :roll: </snark>

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject: Re: Hugget case dismissed: importance of "there's the e
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/local/46672927.html

Quote:
This court is satisfied that Huggett did what he reasonably should have done to have the evidence preserved; namely, he told Detective Finch precisely where the voice mail was located, he summarized it to her immediately after the incident as best he could, and he even went so far as to suggest she listen to it.

1) I was afraid for my life
2) There's the evidence
3) Lawyer lawyer lawyer

Step 1 and 2 are important too and may be the only reason this case was dismissed without a jury trial.

To beat the dead horse a little more, the lawyer could have said the same things after a brief wait.

I'm still of the school of "I need to speak to my attorney and I don't consent to any search" thought. Better that way-there are good LEOs out there, but taking your chances at finding a good one is like naively picking mushrooms in the wood and thinking they'll all make a good meal. Just because you ate one last week and nothing bad happened doesn't mean the next one won't really mess up your life (or kill you).

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject: Re: Hugget case dismissed: importance of "there's the e
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
To beat the dead horse a little more, the lawyer could have said the same things after a brief wait.

I'd love to cooperate, officer. I'll have my lawyer call the station to arrange a convenient time for an interview.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

My take: say as little as possible. If evidence is likely to be not preserved, then let the officer know. ie the attacker's weapon is laying in the street and a street sweeper is rumbling down the road towards it. It might be a good idea to point that out... otherwise shut up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

There is nothing in this story that a lawyer couldn't have handled the next day...or even the next week.

This is entirely due to the ineptitude of the responding police and investigators that the evidence was lost.

Actually it probably would have been better if the lawyer had handled this. He could have documented it better. Otherwise in this situation you're depending on the officer's integrity and honesty to admit that yeah he told us about that evidence but golly gosh we just didn't do anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 pm 

It doesn't say anything about it in the article, other than the guy "broke in" to the home, but that clearly sounds like the guy was hostile. He broke in to the home. Isn't that evidence enough that this clown wasn't supposed to be there and that he was acting violently?

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:21 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

pablobear wrote:
It doesn't say anything about it in the article, other than the guy "broke in" to the home, but that clearly sounds like the guy was hostile. He broke in to the home. Isn't that evidence enough that this clown wasn't supposed to be there and that he was acting violently?

You would think so but in Minnesota and Wisconsin sometimes government gets confused about who the victim is.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.