Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can HCSO be trusted to save your life 
 Post subject: Can HCSO be trusted to save your life
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:47 pm 
Journeyman Member

It seems to me that if HCSO will not issue a permit until the last minute of the 30 days they have to do so, would it be a safe assumption that they could not be trusted to save your life? I wonder, do you?.. If this post is not in the appropriate place, I apologize and please move it.

Post subject: Re: Can HCSO be trusted to save your life
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm 
The Man

diskdoctr@yahoo.com wrote:
It seems to me that if HCSO will not issue a permit until the last minute of the 30 days they have to do so, would it be a safe assumption that they could not be trusted to save your life? I wonder, do you?.. If this post is not in the appropriate place, I apologize and please move it.
It's in the proper place, but . . .

. . . if they issued the permit in the fifteen minutes of work that it actually takes to run most of the checks, would that mean that, if you called 911, they'd be there in seconds if you need them? I don't think so, myself.

That said: I do think that cops, in general, are more more enthusiastic (professionally) about responding to a call where somebody needs to get their life saved, now, than they are about doing even required and important adminstrative details. (It's one of the reasons why I think that permit issuance should be done by the DMV, instead; they know how to process paperwork, after all.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 pm 

Told today after it being my 35th day of waiting that there is a sudden spike of 40+ people per day and it may take up to 40 days, give or take. Checking with a friend in another department at HCSO, he said permits are WAY DOWN.
Guess I'll wait to 40 days then...???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

joelr wrote:
It's in the proper place, but . . .

. . . if they issued the permit in the fifteen minutes of work that it actually takes to run most of the checks, would that mean that, if you called 911, they'd be there in seconds if you need them? I don't think so, myself.

That said: I do think that cops, in general, are more more enthusiastic (professionally) about responding to a call where somebody needs to get their life saved, now, than they are about doing even required and important adminstrative details. (It's one of the reasons why I think that permit issuance should be done by the DMV, instead; they know how to process paperwork, after all.)

Really good point about the DMV. I think that the officers that work the the streets are great, and do their jobs well. I wish all people took what they do for a living seriously enough to be efficient at it. it is my hope that this will generate some interesting discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:01 pm 

I wish all people took what they do for a living seriously enough to be efficient at it. it is my hope that this will generate some interesting discussion.

Some of us - in government service - actually do. Honestly, in today's economy, those of us in civil service should be greatful that we have such stable employment.

It's sad that such concepts as duty and "working for the citizens" are so foriegn to many in government. Given my experience, it's actually better in Minnesota than other states, despite the fact - or possibly because - we have a larger government workforce.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:11 pm 
The Man

danno1598 wrote:
Told today after it being my 35th day of waiting that there is a sudden spike of 40+ people per day and it may take up to 40 days, give or take. Checking with a friend in another department at HCSO, he said permits are WAY DOWN.
Nah. There's no need to wait. Let's start with the obvious question: who was your instructor?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

danno1598 wrote:

Waiting is not necessary. Should have been covered in your carry class...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 pm 
The Man

Yup. Would somebody-who-isn't-me please do an answer to this FAQ?

Quote:
"I applied for my permit 33 days ago*, and it hasn't arrived yet -- what should I do?"

(I'd do it, but I'm grumpy, and I'd grump -- naming some familiar names -- about the bozo instructors who don't cover this with at least a simple, "If it's been thirty-three days, and your permit hasn't arrived -- it almost certainly will -- give me a call," which is the short way to handle it in class.)

______
* Gotta allow for time for mail to arrive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:20 pm 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
Waiting is not necessary. Should have been covered in your carry class...

-Mark

I you need that permit in order to purchase a gun then you have to wait. Or get a permit to purchase. The receipt from the application will not be accepted by gun dealers as far as I know, even if it has been more than 30 days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

I you need that permit in order to purchase a gun then you have to wait. Or get a permit to purchase. The receipt from the application will not be accepted by gun dealers as far as I know, even if it has been more than 30 days

By law, they could in theory accept it...the permit has been legally issued. That said, they don't have to do business with you. It's something to take up with your dealer. You're right, most won't.

I have both. P2P is free, and removes any headache.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:26 pm 

When I dropped off my paperwork at the HCSO, one guy was lackadaisically sitting there with his feet up on the desk and the other guy was staring blankly into a monitor playing with the mouse. When they heard me, the feet-desk guy started half-heatedly moving paper around on his desk and the guy (possibly playing solitaire?) slowly walked over to the bullet proof window. Needless to say, I was impressed by those two hard working, enthusiastic gentlemen.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:28 pm 
The Man

pablobear wrote:
When I dropped off my paperwork at the HCSO, one guy was lackadaisically sitting there with his feet up on the desk and the other guy was staring blankly into a monitor playing with the mouse. When they heard me, the feet-desk guy started half-heatedly moving paper around on his desk and the guy (possibly playing solitaire?) slowly walked over to the bullet proof window. Needless to say, I was impressed by those two hard working, enthusiastic gentlemen.
Sigh. I guess I better see about having a chat with the sheriff, again. Most of Stanek's folks do better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm 

It's probably not in their job description to be nice, but damn! They were bordering on rude with their passive aggressive behavior. I don't think the mouse pusher made eye contact with me once.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:41 pm 
The Man

pablobear wrote:
It's probably not in their job description to be nice, but damn! They were bordering on rude with their passive aggressive behavior. I don't think the mouse pusher made eye contact with me once.
Actually, it is in their job description to give good, courteous customer service, and the sheriff has had to make that point with some HCSO employees in the past. He's vanishingly unlikely to embarrass them in public, but given that we're being browsed -- at this moment -- from the HennCo government center (Hi, there! I see you . . . ) it's likely that somebody is already getting the word.

That said, I'll follow up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
By law, they could in theory accept it...the permit has been legally issued. That said, they don't have to do business with you. It's something to take up with your dealer. You're right, most won't.

I have both. P2P is free, and removes any headache.

-Mark

Had many of us been thinking we would have applied for the purchase permit on the same day we applied for the carry permit. Unfortunately I am one that didn't do that so I am waiting on the carry permit to purchase a firearm. Or until Tuesday when my city accepts purchase permit apps again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.