Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 open carry question 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Take a look at the bianchi model 82 Carrylock or thge Blackhawk Serpa, they are both open top level II retention holsters.

I carry in a bianchi 82 just about every day and really like it and never worry about a gun grab.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject: Re: open carry question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm 
1911 tainted

jmw55018 wrote:
so i have been open carrying some but not really in super public places. just parking lots, at the gas pump, stuff like that.

so anyway i carry with a open top holster. how many of you would consider doing this?

sometimes the gun grab thing bothers me. am i just being paranoid about somebody grabbing my gun or is it really something i should worry about?

do you think a holster with a snap strap would really slow anybody down if they tried a gun grab?

i carry a taurus .38 model 851 with shrouded hammer in a blackhawk cqc holster. i really love this setup and id hate to change.

:?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 pm 

Some of the web sites out there warn about specific situations like using a urinal or elevator. In either case there can be plausible reasons for people being closer to you than you would usually permit, no observers, and no escape route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:46 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

jac714 wrote:

Quote:
Take a look at the bianchi model 82 Carrylock or thge Blackhawk Serpa, they are both open top level II retention holsters.

+1

Those are the two belt holsters I use on a daily basis, so switching to open carry is as easy as tucking my shirt behind the pistol.

Open carry is much more common around these parts, but I have yet to hear of a snatch attempt. Granted, permit holders are probably a lot more cautious and discreet in areas where the thugs hang out en masse.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 pm 

i never use urinals in public restrooms i always use stalls and lock the door behind me. that eliminates most of the problem there.

carrying concealed is kinda hard for me lol im kind of a little guy so almost any gun is hard to cover. if i wear a shirt to big and leave it untucked i look like im wearing a tent. cooler days arent a problem i just where a jacket or flannel shirt and that hides my gun.

so far i really havent gotten any reactions at all from people that have seen me open carrying but i really havent gone into any big stores doing it.

im at the point with this rig that drawing my gun and point shooting come almost naturally to me and i just have a hard time forceing myself to train all over again with a different setup since ammo and reloading supplies are so scarce.

the gun grab thing is always there nagging at me thow, i really dont want to be the guy that punches somebody in the throat cause their hand brushed against my gun.

geuss i will just have to go with the flow and see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 am 

jmw55018 wrote:
i never use urinals in public restrooms i always use stalls and lock the door behind me. that eliminates most of the problem there.

So... you turn your back to the entrance preventing you from seeing potential danger and block your only exit path by closing the door and further complicate that by locking it. I see the negatives far outweighing the positives here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 am 
Poet Laureate

djeepp wrote:
jmw55018 wrote:

So... you turn your back to the entrance preventing you from seeing potential danger and block your only exit path by closing the door and further complicate that by locking it. I see the negatives far outweighing the positives here.

jdeep, are you serious?
The same thing could be said about Fort Knox! :roll:
You really think it's a bad idea to piss in a locked restroom stall?
The tactical disadvantage is too great? :lol:

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe he pisses sitting down with the door open?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

Hey, if you do that, then if somebody messes with you they MUST be looking for trouble. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am 
Poet Laureate

JohnK87 wrote:
An OWB holster is just more comfortable, and sometimes I like the statement OC makes- that honest citizens can legally carry and it's not a big deal.

...the "man with a gun" call. I haven't seen it yet, in fact I haven't seen anyone pay attention to it. My wife doesn't want me to OC while I'm out with the boy alone because she doesn't want the cops to get one of those calls while he is along. Thus, the untucked shirt.

+1 to all of that.
Has your wife been talking to mine? :?

I carry in an OWB Blackhawk CQC Serpa. Carbon fiber finish. 8) Love it.
I should venture to say that I'm one of the few carriers who has not ended up with a drawer full of holsters. I bought the Serpa with my first handgun, and haven't looked back. It's great. I use it for regular carry, for the range, competition, plinking, whatever.

So I can't speak for emotional comfort level in carrying without retention, but I can say that I've never been particularly concerned about gun grabs with the serpa on my hip. I recall reading stories of rabid, citizen-carry-hating JBT's with badges who have tried with their might to remove OC'iers weapons from the Serpa, but couldn't manage to do it until they were instructed by the violated citizen on how to do so. That's safe enough for me. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 am 
1911 tainted

Sitting down with the door closed is also bad. It has happened that when a person sitting in a stall, pants down, a person from the outside reaches under grabbing the victims pants and pulls them off the thrown and half way out of the stall. Now the lower half of the victims body is outside the stall and is being robbed while the upper half of the body is still in the stall. Very hard to resist in this situation and the attacker can take everything you have, unless it is in your shirt pocket. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:34 am 
Poet Laureate

mrokern wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Hey, if you do that, then if somebody messes with you they MUST be looking for trouble. :lol:

-Mark

Not necessarily. Last I heard, MN airport bathrooms were in good working order! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 am 

Carbide Insert wrote:
djeepp wrote:
jmw55018 wrote:

jdeep, are you serious?
The same thing could be said about Fort Knox! :roll:
You really think it's a bad idea to piss in a locked restroom stall?
The tactical disadvantage is too great? :lol:

:?:

Lot's of tongues in cheeks here, but if your going to find the most tactically advantageous way to piss, I doubt locking your self in a small cell with a door that swings towards you is the best place to be.

Now, if you're laying cable and someone comes in with a shotty and stands in from of the stall...you're F'd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 am 
The Man

cobb wrote:
Sitting down with the door closed is also bad. It has happened that when a person sitting in a stall, pants down, a person from the outside reaches under grabbing the victims pants and pulls them off the thrown and half way out of the stall. Now the lower half of the victims body is outside the stall and is being robbed while the upper half of the body is still in the stall. Very hard to resist in this situation and the attacker can take everything you have, unless it is in your shirt pocket. :shock:
True. I only use restrooms in bank vaults for just that reason.

Which is why I can never go back to Wells Fargo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44 am 

I'm not an advocate of open carry either - to Joel's point earlier in this thread.

I do have some OWB holsters that I use for classes, etc. For my Glock, it's a Galco "Fletch" style holster w/ the retention strap -- for my 1911's, it's a similar Galco holster w/o a retention strap (but tight enough to make it difficult to draw unless you're me).

When I worked in law enforcement, we spent a ton of time on weapon retention - thus you see much more complex holsters geared towards that crowd. I think the likelihood of someone trying to get to your firearm is pretty small.. but again, I think discretion is the key here. Concealment is a huge advantage to a CCW holder / off duty law enforcement.

b

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.