Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 open carry question 
 Post subject: open carry question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:50 pm 

so i have been open carrying some but not really in super public places. just parking lots, at the gas pump, stuff like that.

so anyway i carry with a open top holster. how many of you would consider doing this?

sometimes the gun grab thing bothers me. am i just being paranoid about somebody grabbing my gun or is it really something i should worry about?

do you think a holster with a snap strap would really slow anybody down if they tried a gun grab?

i carry a taurus .38 model 851 with shrouded hammer in a blackhawk cqc holster. i really love this setup and id hate to change.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:16 pm 
Journeyman Member

I do open carry quite a bit in St. Cloud. I have a XD-9 full size and only a slim few see it or react to me having a pistol. I use owb leather holster with a strap over it for retention or a black hawk serpa holster with that button just in case of gun grabs. I also try not to allow people close to my gun side to help prevent gun grabs. I know they are rare but sometimes people think you are cops when open carrying. Not many people understand that permit holders can open carry. They believe it is conceal and carry, i believed that too until I read the statute.

Post subject: Re: open carry question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 pm 
The Man

jmw55018 wrote:
so i have been open carrying some but not really in super public places. just parking lots, at the gas pump, stuff like that.

so anyway i carry with a open top holster. how many of you would consider doing this?

sometimes the gun grab thing bothers me. am i just being paranoid about somebody grabbing my gun or is it really something i should worry about?

do you think a holster with a snap strap would really slow anybody down if they tried a gun grab?

i carry a taurus .38 model 851 with shrouded hammer in a blackhawk cqc holster. i really love this setup and id hate to change.
I'm not an advocate of open carry, particularly, but I've looked around for reliable reports of "gun grabs", and I can't find any.

They either happen very rarely, or are well-covered-up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm 

i always try to stay very aware of whos around me and where they are and i always try to keep my gunside away from them.

ive never heard much about gun grabs either. maybe im just paranoid.

anyway im hoping to get a lot of opinions here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just switch to the Serpa. Same holster, now with retention!

Sure, it's a long shot, but not impossible.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:30 pm 
Journeyman Member

I agree with Joel on open carrying on the potential problems that could happen. Areas that are sensitive to the permit holder situation I conceal or half way conceal. I worry about making a bad impression on the businesses when I do open carry so they do not put that dang sign up saying not to shop here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:32 pm 

my oops i named the wrong holster, i kinda had a brain fart and just used what it said on my holster. this is the one im referring to
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Speed- ... 9,1418.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Just switch to the Serpa. Same holster, now with retention!

Sure, it's a long shot, but not impossible.
I like the Serpa, and I wish they could and would use Reaver3's endorsement, but . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:53 pm 

the problem i run into with the serpa style is that my taurus has a wider rib under the site then the j-frame other wise the guns are almost identical.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 pm 

I do not OC so I can only pass along the advice of others and my opinions which are probably not worth much.

Disarm attempts are a big deal to law enforcement and while part of that is because they close with suspects deliberately that does not explain away all the attempts. I would suggest that some martial arts training on retention might be worthwhile if you're serious about OC since there are specific moves that make a big difference.

There's more to a retention holder than a strap or thumb break. If you take a look at duty holsters you can see the range of alternatives that are out there. Training with the holster becomes important both because you want to be able to draw effectively and because you want to be able to fight to keep the weapon holstered in a disarm attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:59 pm 
The Man

MostlyHarmless wrote:

There's more to a retention holder than a strap or thumb break. If you take a look at duty holsters you can see the range of alternatives that are out there. Training with the holster becomes important both because you want to be able to draw effectively and because you want to be able to fight to keep the weapon holstered in a disarm attempt.
Sure. It's why I generally prefer (and usually recommend, fwiw) discretion, rather than retention devices. That said, I may or may not have other options; who knows?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 pm 

im so comfortable with this gun and the way it feels. i geuss i may have to start training with one of my other guns......

i just keep pictureing in my mind somebody grabbing my gun, or trying to, and somebody getting hurt.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 pm 
The Man

jmw55018 wrote:
im so comfortable with this gun and the way it feels. i geuss i may have to start training with one of my other guns......

i just keep pictureing in my mind somebody grabbing my gun, or trying to, and somebody getting hurt.
Yup. And while that's apparently rare -- at worst -- it's definitely not impossible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:09 pm 

might be time to get out my firestar .45

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:37 pm 
Journeyman Member

I open carry some of the time, although it switches to concealed if I untuck my shirt and let it hang over. An OWB holster is just more comfortable, and sometimes I like the statement OC makes- that honest citizens can legally carry and it's not a big deal.

You have to get real close to try a grab, with the location (4 o'clock) and the tightness of the rig to my body. I'm not going to wrestle bad guys, I'm going to get out of there or shoot to stop, nothing in between. You do have to stay in condition YELLOW so people don't sneak too close without you knowing.

The closer you get to the city, the more of a chance you take to attract the "man with a gun" call. I haven't seen it yet, in fact I haven't seen anyone pay attention to it. My wife doesn't want me to OC while I'm out with the boy alone because she doesn't want the cops to get one of those calls while he is along. Thus, the untucked shirt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.