Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 open carry question 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:21 pm 

wow i didnt know this would turn into a fist fight lol.....

so anyway if you open carried would you be comfortable using an opentop holster like mine? it holds the gun very firmly, i can run,ride my atv jump up and down do whatever and the gun will not fall out.

the only thing preventing a gun grab thow is my own awareness and me. if somebody managed to get close enuff to grab my gun they could pull it from the holster with know problem if i let them.

more thoughts....... less bickering.......but more thoughts please :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm 

My GLOCK 27 came with a Blackhawk holster which has a release button. When you insert the gun into the holster it grabs the front of the trigger guard and secures it. To draw you press the button in and pull gun out.

If you are going to Open Carry I would with a holster that secures the weapon in some fashion, be it a strap or a button.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:28 pm 

I want to open carry with suit made of badges that would really be fun. Seriously though I dont know that anyone really notices. I have carried open around the nieghborhood and even the few antis didnt notice.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:
Timothy Nelson wrote:
Wouldn't do it, but, just thinking aloud...

Wear the holster on your hip, leave that gun behind.
Have one, maybe, two in the pockets or elsewhere.
"Yo, that honky forgot his gun, let's get 'em!"
Element of surprise.
8)

I'd have to call that trolling...and not being entirely a "reluctant participant"! :lol:

Well, hunting over bait, at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:19 pm 

-Paul Kersey Hat On-

A good way to clean some of the trash off the streets.

-Paul Kersey Hat Off-

I just got through the Death Wish series this week on DVD.

And, may Charles Bronson rest in peace!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:39 pm 

jmw55018 wrote:
wow i didnt know this would turn into a fist fight lol.....

so anyway if you open carried would you be comfortable using an opentop holster like mine? it holds the gun very firmly, i can run,ride my atv jump up and down do whatever and the gun will not fall out.

the only thing preventing a gun grab thow is my own awareness and me. if somebody managed to get close enuff to grab my gun they could pull it from the holster with know problem if i let them.

more thoughts....... less bickering.......but more thoughts please :D

You might want to take a look at actual retention holsters that use a system of stops to hold the weapon in place if it is pulled up and to the front or rear as would happen during a disarm attempt, or a separate lock released by the index finger of your strong hand. Something like this is worth looking at for ideas even if you end up with less retention. The retention holsters do slow down your draw so it is a trade-off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm 

with the holster i use now you have to pull the gun slighty forward to remove it from the holster. if you try to pull it to the rear you cant pull it out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:46 pm 

When I carry the GLOCK 27. I use this holster or a shoulder holster. Also, have a Galco leather paddle which is very nice, but I'm used to the retention on this one now. Switch it up a little bit. Just make sure when I have the button and when I don't!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:22 pm 

Happy Summer everyone!!

My .02 cents

On my way to work today I saw a guy zip past me on a motor bike-- He had some kind of auto in a slot style holster with two t-shirts flapping in the breeze-- My 1st thought was cool another permit holder-- 2nd and 3rd thoughts-- How many calls to 911 does this generate-- What if he hits a serious bump (I think there was a post here about a guy loosing his pistol while riding on a bike)--

If I remember right I also read a post about a guy in NE Mpls. getting hit in the head with a rock by possible gang bangers as they wanted to steal his pistol and new that he carried as he always carried OC--

Last thought-- With how the US is so sue happy now days-- What if you are OC in a holster with no retention and someone does grab your pistol and shoots you and others? Will a lawsuit against you and the criminal be a possible result??? We all know we are to secure our firearms and keep them from kids etc. so…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:37 pm 

If I opened carried ALL the time I'd carry two (do now, concealed) Primary gets loose, take cover and attempt to recover it with your other piece. I'd rather just conceal and have the secret advantage if the goblins strike.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54 am 
Longtime Regular

I think you guys are putting too much thought into this. Just carry and be happy. Worst thing you're likely to encounter is somebody asking you if it's a real gun.

My $0.02, comming from a guy who open carries almost every day when the weather is over 55 degrees.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:29 am 

kpaul wrote:
On my way to work today I saw a guy zip past me on a motor bike-- He had some kind of auto in a slot style holster with two t-shirts flapping in the breeze-- My 1st thought was cool another permit holder-- 2nd and 3rd thoughts-- How many calls to 911 does this generate-- What if he hits a serious bump (I think there was a post here about a guy loosing his pistol while riding on a bike)--

I ride every day. I open carry because there is no way for me to conceal and still have the reasonable access to my piece. Most of my pistol is clearly visible to anyone on my right side. Since I am usually in the left lane, most people see it if they are looking. How may 911 calls does this generate? I have no idea because I have never had any trouble. No one has said a word to me as of yet. I have pulled up next to a cop on multiple occasions.

kpaul wrote:
If I remember right I also read a post about a guy in NE Mpls. getting hit in the head with a rock by possible gang bangers as they wanted to steal his pistol and new that he carried as he always carried OC--

If you can find this story, I would like to see it because it sounds like B.S.

kpaul wrote:
Last thought-- With how the US is so sue happy now days-- What if you are OC in a holster with no retention and someone does grab your pistol and shoots you and others? Will a lawsuit against you and the criminal be a possible result??? We all know we are to secure our firearms and keep them from kids etc. so…

As far as I know there is no law that says that you have to have a certain amount of retention on your pistol. However, there are laws against theft of one's property of which steeling someone's gun from their holster would apply. Not to mention the murder/attempted murder after the fact.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 am 
Poet Laureate

mnglocker wrote:
I think you guys are putting too much thought into this. Just carry and be happy. Worst thing you're likely to encounter is somebody asking you if it's a real gun.

+1
From experience.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:10 am 

Carbide Insert wrote:
mnglocker wrote:

+1
From experience.

+1.

Kid pedaling by (about 13)
Kid: "That real?"
Me: "Yup"
Kid: "You a cop?"
Me: "Nope."
Kid: "Been Mugged?"
Me: "Nope."
Kid: "Why you got the gun?"
Me: "It's my right, and provide for my own safety."
Kid: "Cool."
Kid and his friend pedal on down the road.

Other time I was OC'ing walking to Burger King with a roommate, and two Jehova's Witnesses walk up.

"Hello, we're Jim and Joe from the Church of Latter Day Saints...you know, the non-threatening religion?"

A good laugh and short discussion ensued.

Other than that, I've never gotten any trouble, or looks, from anyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
two Jehova's Witnesses walk up.

"Hello, we're Jim and Joe from the Church of Latter Day Saints

I think you've mixed the missionaries up. LDS == Mormon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.