Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Precedent for MOA Carry?? 
 Post subject: Precedent for MOA Carry??
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Even though MN law stipulates that lessors can't post buildings that are rented to lessees, it appears that I may have stumbled upon legal precedent to really stop the Mall cops from harassing folks that carry at the mall:

http://supreme.justia.com/us/407/551/

Just a thought.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject: Re: Precedent for MOA Carry??
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 am 

You better go test er out. :lol:

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:29 am 

INAL and don't have the legal prowess required to understand whether that would work or not but it sure would be nice. But, even if legal precedent is found, someone still needs to be the test case. I sure wish I had really deep pockets.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Harland wrote:
You better go test er out. :lol:

Kind of difficult for me to do that because I no longer live in MN. 1000 miles (one way) is a heck of a trip to be a test case. I know that there are some lawyers on the board, perhaps it's something they could comment on??

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

A common phrase around here is: You might beat the rap. but you can't beat the ride.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 am 

I will definetely hold the video camera for anyone who wants to try it out.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:51 am 
Raving Moderate

jrp267 wrote:

Is that like "I've got your back... ...WAY back..."? :wink:

As far as the OP, IANAL, but it appears the Supreme Court reversed the lower court ruling and ruled that the mall could indeed prohibit distribution of handbills on its premises:
Quote:
Held: There has been no dedication of petitioner's privately owned and operated shopping center to public use so as to entitle respondents to exercise First Amendment rights therein that are unrelated to the center's operations, and petitioner's property did not lose its private character and its right to protection under the Fourteenth Amendment merely because the public is generally invited to use it for the purpose of doing business with petitioner's tenants.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 am 

Jeremiah wrote:
jrp267 wrote:

As far as the OP, IANAL, but it appears the Supreme Court reversed the lower court ruling and ruled that the mall could indeed prohibit distribution of handbills on its premises:
Quote:
Held: There has been no dedication of petitioner's privately owned and operated shopping center to public use so as to entitle respondents to exercise First Amendment rights therein that are unrelated to the center's operations, and petitioner's property did not lose its private character and its right to protection under the Fourteenth Amendment merely because the public is generally invited to use it for the purpose of doing business with petitioner's tenants.

Oh I would be close just not close enough to get a free ride to the security office.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

jrp267 wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
jrp267 wrote:

Quote:

Oh I would be close just not close enough to get a free ride to the security office.

Awww, but then you won't be able to get the full experience of their anti-terrorism team. :mrgreen:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:07 pm 

It is definetly up my ally. I would in the right circumstances be the guinnea pig. But currently I can not afford the economic risk that comes with such a venture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 pm 

BigRobT wrote:
Even though MN law stipulates that lessors can't post buildings that are rented to lessees, it appears that I may have stumbled upon legal precedent to really stop the Mall cops from harassing folks that carry at the mall:

http://supreme.justia.com/us/407/551/

Just a thought.

Out of purely morbid curiosity, WHY do you think Lloyd v. Tanner would prevent "mall cops from harassing folks that carry?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:43 pm 

I usually carry during the (very few) times I've been to the MOA. Last time I visited their signage didn't meet MN language guidelines, wasn't posted at all entrances, and there was the lessor/lessee issues as well. Since I'm such an upright citizen I even emailed them through their website explaining all this and never got a reply.

Have they changed things up recently?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:12 pm 
The Man

aczarnowski wrote:

Yup. They made the signs even less compliant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

aczarnowski wrote:
I usually carry during the (very few) times I've been to the MOA. Last time I visited their signage didn't meet MN language guidelines, wasn't posted at all entrances, and there was the lessor/lessee issues as well. Since I'm such an upright citizen I even emailed them through their website explaining all this and never got a reply.

Why would you want to "wise up a chump" ? :? IMO we should not teach them the law and how to post a compliant sign (not that it really matters any with the way the law is written).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
aczarnowski wrote:

Why would you want to "wise up a chump" ? :? IMO we should not teach them the law and how to post a compliant sign (not that it really matters any with the way the law is written).

Gotta agree with you on this one...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.