Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Any laws in MN about printing while carrying? 
 Post subject: Re: Any laws in MN about printing while carrying?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:22 pm 

mrokern wrote:
Especially at Streichers. Heck, they've let me unload and try out holsters right in the middle of the store (I asked first, mind you!).

-Mark

Joe's Sporting Goods in Roseville offered to do this without me even asking. I was concealed pretty well. He must have just figured I was carrying since I was looking at holsters. I now open carry in that store and spend money there whenever possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:32 am 
1911 tainted

Back to your question. Minnesota permit law has no concealment requirement, so you can open carry, carry concealed, carry half concealed or printing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
ssax wrote:
Are there any laws in MN about printing while carrying?

Usually I am offended by this basic question, because on some minor topics that are not of interest to student, they may not pay attention, therefore miss what an instructor might consider, and rightfully so, important information.

But was the topic of Minnesota law and concealment even discussed in your permit class ????

Cobb, I'm quite curious if you have some kind of magic formula that insures people remember everything they hear in your class?
It just might be a little embarrassing after blowing your horn on here and then someone asks a simple question and the word gets out Cobb was their instructor.
I have taken my second class since getting a permit and I certainly don't remember everything I heard in class.
P.S. You were not my instructor for either class.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
cobb wrote:
ssax wrote:
Are there any laws in MN about printing while carrying?

Usually I am offended by this basic question, because on some minor topics that are not of interest to student, they may not pay attention, therefore miss what an instructor might consider, and rightfully so, important information.

But was the topic of Minnesota law and concealment even discussed in your permit class ????

Cobb, I'm quite curious if you have some kind of magic formula that insures people remember everything they hear in your class?
It just might be a little embarrassing after blowing your horn on here and then someone asks a simple question and the word gets out Cobb was their instructor.
I have taken my second class since getting a permit and I certainly don't remember everything I heard in class.

I'm guessing he doesn't (then again, maybe he does...it's not his first rodeo :wink: ).

But this is a big one to overlook or forget (assuming that's what happened). :? Minnesota laws on concealment are pretty simple.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:39 pm 
1911 tainted

MNBud wrote:

No, I do not have any magical formula and if you would do a little research, I am one of those that point, and sometimes over stress the point that students do not hear everything that is presented to them. I even have sited one case about ammunition that I discussed, was also covered in an NRA video, yet a student comment that I never touch on ammunition in the class. Please do a search on this forum on some of my posts, you will see that to be a fact.

But not knowing the requirement of concealment in Minnesota, something that I touch on several times during the class, as I do on other very important topics that are related to carrying in Minnesota, seems to be very curious.

If I was to put together a 15-30 minute mini, mini course, the concealment requirements in Minnesota would be in the presentation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I dont see this as a bad question. In liberal MN, it could be possible that when the carry law passed that some liberal added in a point in the law that stated something along the lines of if you are carrying concealed, you can not have it partially show or print. Kind of an either/or point in the law. You are either concealead or you are open but you cant be in between.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 am 
Wise Elder

Those who drafted the law knew about the "printing" issue and wanted to make sure it could not come up here.

When the police chief's assn asked for a concealed requirement, we just said "no." They shrugged and that was the end of it.

In fact, we spent a lot of time just saying "no." That's a lesson the Wisconsin carry people have never learned (take a look at their last bill).

Most good lobbying is invisible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thank you again Joe for helping us exercise our God given rights legally.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

kimberman wrote:
Those who drafted the law knew about the "printing" issue and wanted to make sure it could not come up here.

When the police chief's assn asked for a concealed requirement, we just said "no." They shrugged and that was the end of it.

In fact, we spent a lot of time just saying "no." That's a lesson the Wisconsin carry people have never learned (take a look at their last bill).

Yeah, thanks Kimberman and all who helped. Is there anywhere I can read about your guys' fight to get this in place, like the history of trying to get that law into effect? Somebody should write a book. Hint hint... make sure and credit me for the idea :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

ssax wrote:
kimberman wrote:

Yeah, thanks Kimberman and all who helped. Is there anywhere I can read about your guys' fight to get this in place, like the history of trying to get that law into effect? Somebody should write a book. Hint hint... make sure and credit me for the idea :)

Poke around here in depth, you'll find some of it. There's good stuff buried in these pages, seriously; I'm not giving you the old "search first" speech, I swear...there really is a lot of info on the fight buried here.

Some of it is in a bit more private areas than the rest (e.g. strategy). Keep an eye out here, get together with some of the involved folks here when there's an event, and you'll get the story. Heck, I still have large gaps in my knowledge. Joel's a "young'un" on the activism stuff compared to the folks who really got this moving (like Kimberman), and I'm barely an embryo, but there is always room for more help.

The fight's not over, it's just guerrilla warfare for the moment.

-Mark

Edited for spelling, wow did my fingers get ahead of my brain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:54 am 
Journeyman Member

mrokern wrote:
ssax wrote:
kimberman wrote:

Poke around here in depth, you'll find some of it. There's good stuff buried in these pages, seriously; I'm not giving you the old "search first" speech, I swear...there really is a lot of info on the fight buried here.

Some of it is in a bit more private areas than the rest (e.g. strategy). Keep an eye out here, get together with some of the involved folks here when there's an event, and you'll get the story. Heck, I still have large gaps in my knowledge. Joel's a "young'un" on the activism stuff compared to the folks who really got this moving (like Kimberman), and I'm barely an embryo, but there is always room for more help.

The fight's not over, it's just guerrilla warfare for the moment.

-Mark

Edited for spelling, wow did my fingers get ahead of my brain.

What would I search for? I'm not really sure what to look for. hmm, I wonder if you guys have an entry in the newbie corner (not saying your newbs, obviously your not, just seems like the only place for introductory posts) or a bio or something.

I have read sooo much on here, I love it. I can't get enough, I'm just worried I will read some of the older stuff and a lot "may" have changed. As I am new to this, I don't know what has changed, if anything since the law was first put into effect. I am currently reading Joel's book for the AACFI 2nd Edition, not sure if it's the latest, but that's what I got during my permit to carry class at from another instructor in Jan 2009. It's great so far, I'm only about half way through, but I have learned some things and considered some things even know they seem like common knowledge, I didn't think about as in-depth as I should because there are many different levels to each situation.

How do I get into the more private areas like strategy? Go to the events? I almost made the GRG. I had strep throat. I am a nice guy so I figured I wouldn't give it to you guys. :) I am up for the next "anything" for sure. I really want to meet others who are interested in the same thing as me. I have no friends who are all about the 2A or even like firearms in general. I am a loner here. :) I have 1 friend who owns a gun, the others don't, he doesn't shoot it and didn't even know where it was till like 2 weeks ago, yeah not very responsible. I am getting a few of them interested in coming to the range with me and a couple are interested in learning more about the carry permit.

I hope to meet Seismic Sam tomorrow if he's up to it so I can get some of his great tasting hell (in a jar) as someone put it. He was listing peppers I have never heard of so I'm pretty pumped. Most of the hot salsa I have had a) wasn't really hot, and b) tasted very bad. He sounds like he knows what he's doing.

ETA: just thought I'd tell you about where my friend finally found his gun. He moved back to Michigan for like 6 months, well, he moved back up here and finally picked up small dresser that he had back in MI, it was in the second drawer of his dresser in the back seat of his car for 3 EFFEN MONTHS!!! It's a very nice fairy old (I think) .22 that looks like the old western style pistols. I will take a pic of it when I clean it for him as it has a little surface rust and hasn't been cleaned for at least 15 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:55 am 

One of my nits to pick but...
I worry a little when I met some folks who tell me they just got their MN Conceal permit.

If in their class they missed one of the basics about what they were sitting in class to get, what else did they miss?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 am 
Journeyman Member

rthib wrote:
I worry a little when I met some folks who tell me they just got their MN Conceal permit.

If in their class they missed one of the basics about what they were sitting in class to get, what else did they miss?

I don't mean to nit pick either but it's not a MN Conceal permit, it's a permit to carry. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:19 am 
1911 tainted

ssax wrote:
rthib wrote:

I don't mean to nit pick either but it's not a MN Conceal permit, it's a permit to carry. :D

Not to nit pick, but I think that is what rthib was referring to. :)

If someone asks or says something and refers to conceal, my answer or statement includes, "not a conceal, but a Minnesota permit to carry". They then usually correct themselves, but will not remember and refer to it as conceal again later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 am 
Longtime Regular

ssax wrote:
Is there anywhere I can read about your guys' fight to get this in place, like the history of trying to get that law into effect? Somebody should write a book. Hint hint... make sure and credit me for the idea :)

http://www.fingusite.com/resume/index.html

http://www.fingusite.com/resume/ccrn_hist.pdf
http://www.fingusite.com/resume/CCRNWin03Leg04.pdf

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.