Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Another one won't be a victim... 
 Post subject: Another one won't be a victim...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 pm 
Journeyman Member

My daughter got her permit and today we got her a pistol to carry. After dealing with the abusive ex-fiance and living in downtown Minneapolis, we decided to buy her something as she couldn't afford her own. She wanted a Walther PPK style, I found a deal on a new Century Arms in 9x18 Makharov and we hit the range today.

(I'm trying to post a photo but I keep getting the "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" message. Standard photobucket... ??)

Last edited by JohnK87 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Another one won't be a victim...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hope you have luck with ammo...Isn't 9x19 different than 9mm luger?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

Sorry, it was 9x18 Makharov, which is different than the 9mm Luger. Got a couple boxes of FMJ and will find some hollow points tomorrow when we're out looking for a holster. The gun is simple with a straight blowback action, just needs some breaking in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:40 pm 
The Man

JohnK87 wrote:
My daughter got her permit and today we got her a pistol to carry. After dealing with the abusive ex-fiance and living in downtown Minneapolis, we decided to buy her something as she couldn't afford her own. She wanted a Walther PPK style, I found a deal on a new Century Arms in 9x18 Makharov and we hit the range today.

(I'm trying to post a photo but I keep getting the "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" message. Standard photobucket... ??)

Cool. Good choice. As to the image stuff, I dunno.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

diskdoctr@yahoo.com wrote:
Hope you have luck with ammo...Isn't 9x19 different than 9mm luger?

The 9x19mm Parabellum (abbreviated 9x19) cartridge was designed by Georg Luger.
You will see boxes with 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Luger, 9mm Para or 9X19 printed on them. Its the same thing.
The 9X18 cartridge, which is different from 9X19, is used in the Makarov and Makarov clones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Long live 9x18!

Sorry to hear it was life circumstances that had to push her that dirrection, but glad she was willing to take the steps legally to take care of herself.

(9x18 is my favorite 9, if I want to shoot something bigger than a 9x18, it'll start with a 4 or end in magnum. I think they got it right when they designed a round to be as big and as powerful as could practically be carried in a simple blow back gun. As soon as you move away from simple blow back, there is added weight and complexity in design . . . if you are going to carry a bigger gun, ought it not launch a bigger round? On the .380 (9x17), it is a little weaker than the 9x18 & for a concealed gun ('cause if you are going to open carry, why not carry something bigger) every bit of stopping power is a +. So anyway, 9x18, perfect 9 in my mind. Long live the 9x18!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am 

Just as important as the gun...DOCUMENT the problems with the ex. Use police reports, protection orders, and keep a journal. This "paper trail" will be invaluable if something does happen. If you think it's a serious enough threat to get a gun, then it's worth documenting too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
You will see boxes with 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Luger, 9mm Para or 9X19 printed on them. Its the same thing

Missed one. :) I have some printed 9mm NATO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

though IIRC 9mm NATO is loaded a bit stouter than all the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
Dee wrote:
You will see boxes with 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Luger, 9mm Para or 9X19 printed on them. Its the same thing

Missed one. :) I have some printed 9mm NATO.

As Plblark said, there is a difference between regular 9mm Parabellum and 9mm NATO.
wikipedia wrote:
The 9 mm NATO can be considered as an overpressure variant of the 9x19mm Parabellum that is defined by NATO standards. The service pressure Pmax of the 9 mm NATO is rated at 252 MPa (36,550 psi) where C.I.P. rates the 9 mm Luger PTmax somewhat lower at 235 MPa (34,083 psi). The 315.0 MPa (45,687 psi) proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm NATO proof test however equals the proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm Luger C.I.P. proof test.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

I suggest reading The Gift of Fear. The author (an expert) suggests that sometimes involving the legal system and police can make a bad situation worse... for what it is worth.

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
Just as important as the gun...DOCUMENT the problems with the ex. Use police reports, protection orders, and keep a journal. This "paper trail" will be invaluable if something does happen. If you think it's a serious enough threat to get a gun, then it's worth documenting too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 am 

Ahh - I saw your post over at defensivecarry.com with the picture - I thought that sounded familiar.

Women with guns = I'm a fan ;)

b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Erik_Pakieser wrote:

I might add, videotape potential interactions-get a cheapo closed circut camera system that records when it detects any motion. Such systems are cheap nad can be found at just about any electronics retailer.

Record the conversations. Digital audio recorders have gotten to the slimline point where you wouldn almost forget you have them; the technology has advanced in such a way that even the smallest recorder allows over 24 hours of recording time, and nicer recorders have ports for direct download/storage of recordings in MP3 format on the computer of your choosing. Telephone recorders are, likewise, cheap, and can be integrated into just about any type of phone system you use.

There are plenty of instances where a simple 2 minute recording can make the difference between he said/she said and difinatively winning your case, be it criminal or civil.

God knows it's saved my butt in the past.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.