Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 "Where's the Treptow thread?" 
 Post subject: Re: "Where's the Treptow thread?"
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
joelr wrote:
My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that Beard, frustrated at the distraction from his planned nooner with his fiancee, was intent on intimidating the Treptows, not murdering them, and got the surprise of his life when Scott Treptow drew and shot, his aim deflected by his wife turning toward him for rescue from her apparently murderous assailant.

Wait, I thought he was on-duty, just out of his jurisdiction....and in street clothes...driving his own car...coincidentally right by his girlfriend's place okiwillshutthehellupnow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, no, no. The official line, the last I heard, is that he was an off-duty, undercover drug-enforcement cop doing traffic duty on his lunch break in city that doesn't pay him.

:mrgreen:

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:08 pm 

joelr wrote:
...That would assume that there was some magical connection between the 911 conversation and Beard's brain. That's not only an unsafe assumption, but a vanishingly unlikely one.... Sure -- after Beard almost ran him off the highway, Treptow shouldn't have honked and given him the finger. But neither of those was a crime -- and, after some shouting, Treptow had not only tried to withdraw from the conflict, but had withdrawn from the conflict...

I was not trying to suggest that calling 911 would have changed any of Beards actions. If someone almost ran me off the highway I would call 911 first and report it. If they continued to harass me then that's their issue. It might not be illegal to honk your horn, swear at someone, or become aggravated but it sure doesn't help.

If Treptow was on the phone with 911 when the shooting happened that might have been a better for him.

Regardless of what Treptow did, it was a travesty that Beard is getting off the hook completely.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:38 pm 
Wise Elder

Treptow gets 60 days in jail and two years probation.

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_13170727?source=rss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 am 

"Victim" speaks... "Anoka County prosecutor Kurt Deile says his office is satisfied, but knows the victim wanted a harsher sentence."
What victim? A cop with small man syndrome! A better shot and this would have been over months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've had my opinions about this case and since I've moved away from Minnesota, I really haven't followed it closely. All in all, it doesn't surprise me that Treptow got the raw end of the deal. I always had a feeling that the cop would go unpunished. Sure enough, my gut was right. This case turned out bad for the carry community. A guy, defending himself, gets punished. The TRUE instigator gets away scot free. I wonder how this will affect any future cases of self defense??

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.