Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 CSM: Vote NO on nationalizing the worst concealed carry laws 
 Post subject: Re: CSM: Vote NO on nationalizing the worst concealed carry laws
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

She's right, on one level, of course. We shouldn't nationalize the worst concealed carry laws, like those of New Jersey. We should nationalize the best ones, like those of Vermont.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Enforcing the Full Faith and Credit clause is not an imposition against states' rights.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:39 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Enforcing the Full Faith and Credit clause is not an imposition against states' rights.

But is can also be superseded by individual state laws.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:55 am 
Raving Moderate

Incakola wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

But is can also be superseded by individual state laws.

Well, no. The Constitution in pretty clear in saying that it trumps state laws. From Article VI:

Quote:
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

Article IV, Sec. 1 gives the acts of each state equal validity in all of them, AND gives Congress the power to prescribe how.

Quote:
Article IV

Section 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 am 

Quote:
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

this means Federal law trumps state... State does not trump state...

FFandC is completely up for interpretation at this point. (See the Gay-Marriage fiasco with it.)

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 am 
Raving Moderate

Incakola wrote:
Quote:

this means Federal law trumps state... State does not trump state...

FFandC is completely up for interpretation at this point. (See the Gay-Marriage fiasco with it.)

True, as far as it goes- but Federal law (in this case, a power directly granted by the Constitution) directly requiring one state to recognize another's acts trumps an individual state's objections- i.e., assuming carry were given the "FF&C treatment", Illinois and Wisconsin would pretty much have to put up with it, regardless of their legislatures' unhappiness.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 pm 

I'm very glad that this message was posted. I was having a bloody difficult time finding the phone number for Al Fraken. As per requested I did call both of my senators, although I told them to vote for the reciprocity instead of against. Oh well it's the thought that counts right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:42 pm 

Incakola wrote:
While this bill may be beneficial to us, I am not in favor of it simply because it is imposing federal regulation on a state issue...

Beneficial to RKBA, but harmful to state liberties.

I'm weary of Federal imposing any regulation on what should be handled at a state level, especially when the RKBA comes into play.

Unfortunately State liberties and powers have been severely butchered over the decades. The RKBA is a fundamental part of the Constitution. I would much rather have it imposed federally like countless other regulations than banned or limited by States that dislike it.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 am 

Lenny7 wrote:
Incakola wrote:
While this bill may be beneficial to us, I am not in favor of it simply because it is imposing federal regulation on a state issue...

Beneficial to RKBA, but harmful to state liberties.

I'm weary of Federal imposing any regulation on what should be handled at a state level, especially when the RKBA comes into play.

You're absolutely right, of course. The correct remedy would be to remove the states ability to restrict our 2A rights altogether. We don't allow states to restrict our 1A rights, after all.

What? The right to free speech, freedom to practice religion, right to refuse quarter of a soldier in peace time, right to be secure in our persons, papers and effects, the right to not be a witness against ourself, the right to confront our witness, the right to a jury trial, the right to reasonable punishment are not defined by our state legislatures?

We need to tell someone that we've been had!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.